A free program that works just like Norton 360?

Well looking at free you may not get the same 'amount' of features but theres a few good options out there. The typical model now is to offer 'free' skeleton versions of AV which will be more a straight up scanner, maybe some active protection.

Avast is a really popular option these days for AV, AVG is another decent option. Theres quite a few out there if you do a little looking and some mild research you can probably find something that covers your needs and will simply work the way you want it.

Sorry that wasn't a super definitive answer heh, but AV choice can be hotly contested so opinions vary. (Personally I tend to use AVG or Avast, usually AVG though).

It would probably help if you list the features that you're interested in.

I gave up on the Norton products long ago. I hear they are better, but they leave a bad taste in my mouth and I have found products I like more.

For the most part, I'm sure you could get by with Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials, and the occasional scan of Malware Bytes Anti-Malware. That is all free unless you want MBAM to automatically scan instead of kicking it off manually.

syn2083 is spot on.

The way free AV companies get you to upgrade is to buy the version that comes with more than antivirus. The thing is, most of the stuff you get in the paid version you could use free tools instead, they are just not all in one package.

Back