A folder opens up at startup. how do I make it stop?

ScubaSteve

[H]F Junkie
This is my gf's computer but I'm basically responsible for keeping it working.

I have to run Norton and adaware and spybot fairly regularly because she keeps DLing crap. (Although she swears she doesn't do it, it just magically appears on its own. Funny how that never happens on my computer :rolleyes: )

Anyway, at startup, the folder "C:\Program Files\Common" pops up, and the only folder in it is "Bin"

I've looked in msconfig and searched around in the registry and can't figure out what's making this happen. I'm guessing its related to one of the many pieces of software that's been removed over time.

Any suggestions?

Just for giggles (and since it's the only thing I can think of), did you check to make sure a shortcut to that directory didn't end up in the Startup folder?

Try removing the folder, or renaming it, and see if anything complains about it?

pjaank said:
Just for giggles (and since it's the only thing I can think of), did you check to make sure a shortcut to that directory didn't end up in the Startup folder?

actually I hadn't thought of that but I just checked and its not.

nb- said:
Try removing the folder, or renaming it, and see if anything complains about it?

I did that (renamed it) and it booted up fine (the window didn't come up)

I guess that fixes it for now. I'll just have to wait and see if she complains about a program that quits working (I opened up some random programs and they were fine, but I'm not gonna go open EVERY program).

I would have rather found out what was actually causing it, but this works I guess.

Thanks

Back