A Fight! A Fight! Nvidia and a Shyte!

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
Nvidia and Intel are getting froggy again. What do you guys think, is it worth the fight? I mean, if Nvidia licensed SLI for Intel chipsets, wouldn't it make you more interested in buying an Nvidia graphics card? It would me. Which garners them more money anyway, an Nvidia Chipset or an Nvidia GPU?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956256-7.html

Who knows what goes on in the minds at Nvidia anymore? Beating ATI is one thing,taking on Intel is a whole different game.If they did license SLI for Intel boards,then they might as well abandon their chipset line altogether,since it's the only reason anyone buys their boards.It sure isn't for their stellar reliabilty! I see the whole SLI thing as a gimmick to sell more graphics cards.Tri SLI,Quad SLI,give me a frakkin' break!How about just producing a single card that actually beats the old generation of cards in price/performance?

Who knows what goes on in the minds at Nvidia anymore? Beating ATI is one thing,taking on Intel is a whole different game.If they did license SLI for Intel boards,then they might as well abandon their chipset line altogether,since it's the only reason anyone buys their boards.It sure isn't for their stellar reliabilty! I see the whole SLI thing as a gimmick to sell more graphics cards.Tri SLI,Quad SLI,give me a frakkin' break!How about just producing a single card that actually beats the old generation of cards in price/performance?

QFT

UPDATE 5:48pm PT - Intel released an additional statement after this blog was posted. "We are not seeking any SLI concession from Nvidia in exchange for granting any Nehalem license rights to Nvidia," the company said.

Didn't last long?

Intel would pretty much be in the driver's seat in this.If they choose to deny a license to Nvidia for Nehalem support on their chipsets,it would pretty much kill their board sales once Nehalem hit the market.Sure,they could still put out AMD boards,but would that be profitable enough?Intel,on the other hand,has done just fine with single Nvidia card support,and if ATI's next generation of cards prove competitive,they'll have Crossfire support for multi-card users.

Back