A few simple linux questions:

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
1) I am currently running RedHat 9.0. I want to change the resolution on the desktop but when i change it to anything beyond the default setting of 800x600, it asks me to log off and restart my X server (the X-Windows shell). How do i do this?

2) Also, i purchased my copy of RedHat from a friend in a retail package. I cannot log onto the RedHat network when i use my existing account nor can log on when creating a new account. I believe it has something to do with the fact that i dont have the cd key anymore that would have come with what i am guessing is the "enterprise" edition of linux that i am using? Any support number i can call to get a new registration number is this sort of the same thing as microsoft with Windows XP?

3) The final question is networking in linux. I know that Samba is a translator for windows and linux networks. However, is there something like a networking neighborhood in linux? I want to be able to see my other machines as well as most importantly share some folders on the linux box with the rest of my network. I want to use this linux box as a file server. What are the best ways of doing this? I dont have much linux background but i use directions well :p

thanks!

1. I'm not sure how you are trying to change the resolution. Try pressing ctrl+alt++(ctrl, alt, and the plus key) or ctrl+alt+-(ctrl, alt, minus). This should cycle through the resolutions. To kill X, press ctrl+alt+backspace.
2. I've not used redhat in a long time so I have no idea on this.
3. LinNeighborhood is a good program that is similar to Network Neighborhood in windows.

1) i am just going under system settings and changing the resolution by hand, similiar to how you do it in windows. When you say "kill" X server do you mean after it closes down it comes back up or it down for good?

2) i dont know if i will be able to get an answer to this

3) Where can i find this linneighborhood and why doesnt linux come with anything like this installed? How am i supposed to see other machines on my network as well as share drives that are on my linux machine? I need to use this as a file server, how do i do so?

for 1 at least, you need to stop x from running, by killing it, then you should be at a text-only login prompt. login, not sure if you need root or not, then type "startx" and hit <enter>

1) You can restart the X server by logging out and logging back in. If you want to really cheat just reboot.

2) I don't think red hat supplised updates for 8.0 any more. I thought that was the big fuss a while back when they seperted fedora and RH enterprise.

3) Read up on Samba. You don't need a network neighborhood to set up a file server. Samba and the Samba client will let you do all you need. Just keep reading.

I have tried ctrl-alt-backspacing'ing out of windows and logging back in. It will just not take the display settings as soon as i change the resolution it just says you need to log out and restart the X server. I have save the current settings checked and everything. How do you get to the terminal/console only screen. Hitting ctrl-alt-backspace just takes you backto the logon screen.

that is probably because redhat has the login manager (gdm for gnome) in the default runlevel. this means it is one of the services that will start automatically start on boot and continue to run. to get rid of it type as root
rc-update del gdm default
to get it back in, so you get a graphical login on boot just replace the del with add
samba.org has everything you need to set up smb (windows) file sharing: docs, even links to graphical network browsers and configuration utilities, which will probably be better for you. ;)

Back