A few questions for owners of ViewSonic VP2785-2K, NEC EA271Q, PA271Q, Eizo CS2730, CS2731, CS2740, CG2730

midix

n00b
Hi all.

I'm looking for owners of the monitor models that are free from an undocumented deficiency, which I'll describe in a moment.

I'm visually impaired since birth. Because of this, it has always been somewhat tricky for me to find a good monitor for work (I'm am a programmer and web designer, and sometimes do photo and video editing as a hobby).

I often have to use my monitor up-close and thus I notice many image and backlight imperfections that go unnoticed by most people. One issue that bothers me is some kind of a brightness haze that is noticeable at sharper angles on many IPS displays. Because of my vision and up-close use, my peripheral vision is always at a sharp angle in relation to the screen.

I know there are monitors that do not have such haze. My 10 years old ViewSonic VP2365WB recently broke, it had very acceptable backlight uniformity and no such gray haze whatsoever. My parent's cheap Samsung TV with IPS panel (model UE32K5502) also has no gray haze. Asus ProArt PA328Q and PA238Q have really bad haze. Dell UP3216Q has some haze (and my unit had grey patches at the bottom, so I returned it).

Now, after a few displays bought and returned, I'm tired and almost ready to go for the "best-of-the-best" NEC or Eizo 27" models. But first I would really like to know if they are free of this haze issue and if I could find a cheaper option first.

So, I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions.

1) If you look at the top of your display from about 25cm distance, how would you characterize the image when glancing down below the midline of the screen? Does it get any darker? Does it feel similar to a paper sheet (or a CRT display)? I mean - a paper sheet or a CRT never gets darker in peripheral vision, no matter how close you look at the screen.

I would really appreciate it if you could shoot a short video with your display similar to this one:

It would be best if you could compare it with some other cheaper IPS display side-by-side, if you happen to have two different displays.

Also, I would be grateful if you could take a shot with a camera as close to the screen as possible and angled at about 45 degrees, similar to these ones:

The first image is of my VP2365WB that does not have this haze at all.
The second image is of Samsung S24B350T that does have a strong haze.

Unfortunately, the camera seems to be unable to fully capture how much better VP2365WB looks to the human eye (to an eye, it does not get that much darker at all towards the edge), still it captures the difference good enough.

As you can see, the second image has a much stronger flashlight effect, where the left part looks like a large over-exposed round spot, and then it gets dark very suddenly. The good monitor does not have such a distinct spot, its brightness decreases much more evenly.

Of course, this is not a very objective test but it gives rough estimates about the behavior of the panel.

2) How low can you turn the brightness of the display? Can it be turned as low as to make IPS glow completely unnoticeable when watching movies in a dimly lit room? It would be perfect if you could please measure the minimal brightness of black image with some tool and report the number in nits or lumens or cd/m².

3) Does it have any IPS glow reduction coating/film? I know that Eizo CG series has it, but not sure about all the other models.

Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited:
Back