A few noobish questions(Remote Administration, mp3 broadcasting)

Hinokagutsuchi

Limp Gawd
As the topic states, I'm a noob to linux. I know these questions will probably be answered somewhere else, but the problem is is that I don't even know where to start.

System Specs:
Suse 9.1 Pro[Got it with that Novel survey thingy...], also running Samba
1.67ghz AMD
512mb RAM
200gb WD HD
Onboard everything else.

I'm going to use it as a place to store all my media files.

My two questions:

1) I'm looking for a way to access this machine from another computer so I don't have to use a monitor. I know how to ssh into the machine, but certain programs, like irssi, close when the ssh session is closed. I tried to use VNC but I couldn't get it to work. If anyone knows a way to get VNC to work, that'd be best since it would turn out to be a little easier on myself.

2) Is there a way to broadcast mp3s? I've ripped my cds and put them on there and I would like to be able to broadcast them to other computers in my house[not to people over the internet, just on my LAN]. I'm looking for something akin to shoutcast, I guess.

Any help is appreciated. I would google, but like I said, I don't even know a good place to start, other than asking here. Thanks in advance...

Edit: I suppose I should have mentioned my problem with VNC. At first, I could get it to run on the machine and my XP machine would at least acknowledge that there was a VNC server running on my Suse machine, but it would refuse the password. I retyped it in multiple times and it didn't work. After a few reboots, my XP machine refused to acknowledge that there was a VNC server running at all. My Suse machine seemed to be running the server, though. I dunno. =/

you can always ssh in.. but www.realvnc.org works for me.. you have to setup on another x server though.. i am not sure if realvnc.org has gotten x:0 to work right.. basically u need to setup another user and start x twice...

just go to there site and download binaries.. then create a new user.. if you want to use kde.. u have to edit .vncserver folder or something similar.. been a while since i have used it.

when you access your server from another box.. use the vncclient or the java (web) client.. for instance my ip is hidden-leaf.ath.cx so to when it asked for your ip you type hidden-leaf.ath.cx:1 ( :1 is for your second x server)... then enter your pass

vncserver -geometry 1024x768 hostname:1

connect to hostname:2 from your other box

You can use a package called screen instead of ssh for a remote session you can attach and detach, that way stuff you start will keep running.

I'll look into screen. I've heard it mentioned before...

As for the VNC info, I'll try that in a bit >_>

Thanks.

actually i use screen with ssh.. i ssh in.. and screen to keep my bit torrents going after i exit ssh.

Broadcasting MP3s is easy using shoutcast; I've had it set up for a long time inside my network. It works great on linux. You can get documentation and download links here: http://www.shoutcast.com/support/docs/

The server can be downloaded here:
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/files.phtml

Essentially, you just have to download it, edit the config file to specify your IP address and a few options, feed it a playlist, and start it up.

I also used to broadcast to myself at work, so that I could listen to my MP3s while working. That was nice...

i would recommend gnump3d for mp3 broadcasting. it basically sets up a web server ona specified port and you can browse through your shared directory and play music/playlists from a remote web browser
if the remote machine is *nix you can simply have the x server display remotely to it

Screen is wonderful.
For the most basic functionality:
* ssh in
* Start screen
You'll get a shell again.
* Start something, anything. Irssi, for instance.
* Disconnect
* Reconnect
* Type screen -R

... and you'll be looking at what you would have seen if you hadn't disconnected in the first place. man screen is also worth reading.

Back