A few laptop questions! (Lenovo Legion Y530)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last couple years my "backup and travel" computer has been a SFF desktop in a Node 202 or similar. While it does the job, it's not carry-on size and packing all the peripherals is a pain, so I started looking a couple months ago for a gaming laptop.

I was originally looking at an Acer Nitro 5, but the Best Buy folks successfully upsold me a bit to a Lenovo Legion. I like the demure look of the Lenovo, and it was slightly more impressively specced for only about $80 more.

So from a guy who hasn't owned a laptop in half a decade, questions!

1.) The laptop shipped with a single SODIMM slot populated by an 8Gb 2666MHz DDR4 stick. I'd like to just buy another and slap it in there, but I don't I'll be able to match brands - is that important as long as I get the same speed and capacity?

2.) What are best practices for maintaining a laptop battery these days? Do you wanna leave it plugged in all the time? Fully discharge and recharge it every time? Charge it at 80%?

3.) The processor is an i7-8750H. I know that at the very least this means considerably lower clocks than the desktop 8700, but are there any other differences specific to the mobile model?

4.) Got any general tips or tricks for getting the most out of my new laptop?

Thanks!

For the last couple years my "backup and travel" computer has been a SFF desktop in a Node 202 or similar. While it does the job, it's not carry-on size and packing all the peripherals is a pain, so I started looking a couple months ago for a gaming laptop.

I was originally looking at an Acer Nitro 5, but the Best Buy folks successfully upsold me a bit to a Lenovo Legion. I like the demure look of the Lenovo, and it was slightly more impressively specced for only about $80 more.

So from a guy who hasn't owned a laptop in half a decade, questions!

1.) The laptop shipped with a single SODIMM slot populated by an 8Gb 2666MHz DDR4 stick. I'd like to just buy another and slap it in there, but I don't I'll be able to match brands - is that important as long as I get the same speed and capacity?

2.) What are best practices for maintaining a laptop battery these days? Do you wanna leave it plugged in all the time? Fully discharge and recharge it every time? Charge it at 80%?

3.) The processor is an i7-8750H. I know that at the very least this means considerably lower clocks than the desktop 8700, but are there any other differences specific to the mobile model?

4.) Got any general tips or tricks for getting the most out of my new laptop?

Thanks!
run a decrapifier and follow a tweak guide like techyescity's on yt. get as close to the same ram as possible. use cpuz to get the ram info/timings and match it up on newegg or wherever. or go to crucial, they'll prob have a guaranteed match. battery, you want to charge it full, discharge it full and charge it full again. after the initial cycle I charge whenever. the cpu has a few differences, base speed is 2.2 turbo is 4.1 and 3mb less cache and igpu is a bit slower.
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_8750h-835-vs-intel_core_i7_8700k-763

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back