"A Duplicate Name Exists on the Network"

cpnhowdy

Limp Gawd
Yesterday I had problems booting up my machine. Everytime I booted up I got the message "A Duplicate Name Exists on the Network". Only other PC connected to my hub is a linux machine and it doesnt have the same name as my WinXP box.
I chaned the name of my WinXP box and all is ok now.
Any theories as to why this happened all of a sudden? I hadnt changed anything previously.

Thanks

u have a wireless network? maby somone with the same computer name hopped on or somthing..idk...

Sounds like possibly a master browser issue. Are you running Samba on the Linux box?

Thanks, Its on a fiber optic network so no wireless. Yes, the Linux is running samba.
The weird thing is this just started, I have been using the linux box for the last two years without changing any config.

That is very odd. What happens when you try to ping your old machine name?

My guess is that the master browser got confused and didn't recognize your machine as being the same machine as it was before it was rebooted. Very odd.

Im gonna try that when I get home. See if I can ping the old host name and see if its still there. Also maybe try to see if its still there using nbtstat -n. I think that should show if its still there right?

Back