NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
I wasn't sure if I should drop this here, or in the overclocking subforum... oh well, here is as good a place as any.

Anyway....

Did anyone else get an 8700k and wind up with an overclocking turd?

Here I see everyone else getting 5ghz with moderate voltages (1.3 to 1.35v, sometimes lower!) and my special little guy is riding the short bus. I can't even hit 4.9ghz stable without bringing the vCore up to a toasty 1.42v... and although that IS stable after 20 minutes of stress testing it hits a thermal limit flag on my motherboard's VRMs and causes momentary throttling down to 3.7ghz (the base multiplier of the 8700k is 37).

I've de-lidded and re-lidded the chip (using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut as the TIM) and while that dropped the load temps over 25C it didn't make any difference as for the max overclock this chip will do.

Motherboard is an ASUS Z370-I ROG Strix
2x16GB G'Skill DDR4 3200
CPU cooling is done by a Thermaltake Floe Riing 280mm CLC

Mine is not great either.

Im a noob overclocker, but I settled at 4.6 @1.215, with a 240 AIO.

Heavy Handbrake workloads it reached mid 80s. Woo that's hot.

Mine is not great either.

Im a noob overclocker, but I settled at 4.6 @1.215, with a 240 AIO.

Bad draw in the lottery. Somebody is bound to get one like this, unluckily it was you.
I can't get to 5 GHz in less than 1.41 vcore , though my 4.9 GHz is around1.344-1.36 vcore.
These do run a bit hot - they do their best delided

Yeah, at stock speeds (but with Multi-Core Enhancement enabled - locks all cores at 47x multiplier under load) I was seeing near 90 degree temperatures on some cores after about 30 minutes of Prime95 small FFTs (no AVX). After delidding, applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and re-lidding the MAXIMUM temperature I saw was 64 degrees, with averages around 55.

Even though my special little guy is... well..... special, at least he's running a hell of a lot cooler now. :D

Yeah, at stock speeds (but with Multi-Core Enhancement enabled - locks all cores at 47x multiplier under load) I was seeing near 90 degree temperatures on some cores after about 30 minutes of Prime95 small FFTs (no AVX). After delidding, applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and re-lidding the MAXIMUM temperature I saw was 64 degrees, with averages around 55.

Even though my special little guy is... well..... special, at least he's running a hell of a lot cooler now. :D

Wow- to me that seems like a huge improvement. Totally worth it.

Are you experienced with delidding or was this your first?

Wow- to me that seems like a huge improvement. Totally worth it.

Are you experienced with delidding or was this your first?

Fairly experienced, I've done six or seven before this one... but this is my first Coffee Lake. :D

Hopefully mine isnt a dud! I havent started the overclocking process yet. Turbo will go up to 4.7 with little to no voltage increase though. Not sure if that means much. Im coming from a 2600k that was pretty decent.

could be the board too. I'm too lazy to research that board, but I do know from experience unless you get the higher end Asus boards, they seem to cheap out on the VRM and cooling and sometimes have immature bios's on their non flagship boards.

but yeah, you could still have a dud :(. Sucks I know. My 7700K is 98% stable at 5ghz but I just can't seem to get it fully stable so I had to finally downgrade it to 4.8ghz. I'm wondering about an 8700k myself, but know I'd want the 9700k or even the Zen+ if it doesn't suck at oc'ing like it most likely WILL.

i am not suree and his is pretty much just guesswork on my part. But i am seeing a strong trend between people with high OC's and also arguing that you don't really need to stress it fully becuase you never get that kind of load... might just be the reason
So what are you using to determinning stabilit ?

UPDATE: I think I figured out what was going on!

Overheating VRMs on the motherboard!

Jesus, why is that always a thing with me? I actually had this problem with one of my Z170 boards too and even made a thread about it several months ago.

I knew they were overheating under load and that the board was throttling the CPU because of it, but I had no idea it was actually affecting STABILITY. I moved the radiator and fans around in my case so that there was direct moving airflow over both of the VRM heatsinks. I also took the board out and tightened the screws clamping down the VRM heatsinks to the board - they weren't super loose, but they weren't exactly tight either. They are now. :D

I am now dialing in a 5ghz overclock and it's looking quite promising at about 1.38v.

Fairly experienced, I've done six or seven before this one... but this is my first Coffee Lake. :D

Is this something you'd think a noob could safely try?

Or is it worth paying somebody like Silicon Lottery $40 to do for me?

UPDATE: I think I figured out what was going on!

Overheating VRMs on the motherboard!

Jesus, why is that always a thing with me? I actually had this problem with one of my Z170 boards too and even made a thread about it several months ago.

I knew they were overheating under load and that the board was throttling the CPU because of it, but I had no idea it was actually affecting STABILITY. I moved the radiator and fans around in my case so that there was direct moving airflow over both of the VRM heatsinks. I also took the board out and tightened the screws clamping down the VRM heatsinks to the board - they weren't super loose, but they weren't exactly tight either. They are now. :D

I am now dialing in a 5ghz overclock and it's looking quite promising at about 1.38v.

Awesome! Can you post a pic or describe your new fan setup for us?

Is this something you'd think a noob could safely try?

Or is it worth paying somebody like Silicon Lottery $40 to do for me?

Pretty much everyone is a noob before they do their first delib.

So can a noob do it? Yes.

Do you want to stay as a noob?

1) No = Then just do it.

2) Yes = Then get silicon lottery to do it and and head on over to {S}oftForum.

(I just learn you can't use [brackets] around the "S" for SoftForum. It gets censored out.)

Pretty much everyone is a noob before they do their first delib.

So can a noob do it? Yes.

Do you want to stay as a noob?

1) No = Then just do it.

2) Yes = Then get silicon lottery to do it and and head on over to {S}oftForum.

(I just learn you can't use [brackets] around the "S" for SoftForum. It gets censored out.)
That's quite the Easter egg you found there hahaha

(Though my 2 cents would be of the {S}oft variety..especially if you plan to buy a delid tool kit because at that point it wouldn't save you any money so just have them accept the risk and do it)

Ahh, good thing you have an Asus motherboard.

Here is an excellent guide on overclocking the 8700K. Not just how but why, step by step.

Also, I totally recommend that anyone looking to Asus in the future highly consider their ROG Hero line of motherboards. For $200 or so they are a steal in my opinion.

Follow this guide to the T and you will get a nice overclock on your 8700K unless they gods and powers that be totally took a shit on your CPU at the factory.

Last edited:
Back