A dual gpu PS5 could be coming soonish? Already? >_>

It can't be harder to code for than the PS3 was... and they might have the rest of the system fast enough to not get severely diminshed returns.

But its nuts, the interconnect would be a huge security target
They would probably just do what Nintendo does and bury the interconnect in the middle layers of the PCB, They could possibly just increase the size of the APU package and have it as a separate chip on there and bury the interconnects there instead. Either option would more than likely destroy the system if somebody attempted to dig them out.

If they say “soon” and dual ps5 would technically be 80% of the console base (numbers from ass here). Than I don’t see how mgpu would be an issue. If they are programming games based on the majority of hardware (hint hint mgpu PCs are not), than it most likely wouldn’t be an issue.

If they say “soon” and dual ps5 would technically be 80% of the console base (numbers from ass here). Than I don’t see how mgpu would be an issue. If they are programming games based on the majority of hardware (hint hint mgpu PCs are not), than it most likely wouldn’t be an issue.
Vulkan 1.1 introduced support for Multi GPU, it just hasn't been widely used, given that the PS5 appears to have its library based in some part on Vulkan it would stand to reason that the capabilities already exist in their dev environments and its just a matter of taking advantage of it being there. The Vulkan and DX12 multi GPU functions are key to us eventually seeing MCM-based consumer GPU's so if Sony has the guts to go ahead with it I will certainly do what I can to support it.

mGPU works. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is probably the best example, with close to 100% scaling.

The issues is ROI, not a technical limitation. On PC, SLI/CF is probably only like 1% or something of the market, so developers don't bother.

If a PS5 Pro with mGPU was popular, then developers would support it and it could work fine.

with close to 100% scaling
Is that generous or just true of certain video card.

With 2 2080TI (at least with drivers/game of the time they tested it)
https://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-sli-review-with-nvlink_208222/6
Average FPS: +67%
Minimun FPS: +76% !

With 2 3090 in SLI

Average FPS: + 36%
Minimun FPS: + 25%

The raytraced heavy Quake2 that put a single 3090 on is knee at 4K

Average FPS: + 58%
Minimun FPS: +11%

For a console it become I imagine some math equation, does the +50%/70% for double the GPU is better because of better yield/less loss for each missed chips than the bigger more complex GPU. Specially if you go all Soc outhere, maybe you can bin your pro/X version for those the 2 gpu work well and lesser version for the missed one.

I wouldn't read too much into this patent. It was filed back in Jan 2019 and there was a lot of discussion of it back when Sony first filed it. More likely, it was one of Sony's conceptual designs for the PS5 itself and not some Pro console. If/when a PS5 Pro happens it's unlikely to just be a system with another GPU slapped in as adding developmental complexity goes against Mark Cerny's comments about the PS5 being easy to develop for.

Is that generous or just true of certain video card.
Sorry, I think it was Rise of the Tomb Raider. I looked at the few reviews, and the performance varies, but here is one that is good.

1607115437736.png

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-nvlink-review-taking-sli-to-the-next-level?page=6

PS5c
coffee table edition. The thing is already huge they want to probably make it bigger. LOL

Yeah, its getting to the point where you can't really call them a console anymore. They're just small form factor PC's with this new generation.
More like media center pcs, or HTPCs, although even some of those are smaller.

I wouldn't read too much into this patent. It was filed back in Jan 2019 and there was a lot of discussion of it back when Sony first filed it. More likely, it was one of Sony's conceptual designs for the PS5 itself and not some Pro console. If/when a PS5 Pro happens it's unlikely to just be a system with another GPU slapped in as adding developmental complexity goes against Mark Cerny's comments about the PS5 being easy to develop for.
Eh not really. If it was filed in Jan 2019 it more then likely was not intended for the current ps5. Remember planning and design starts years before release. Going from a single to multi GPU would be too significant change for the release time line for the ps5.

Yeah, its getting to the point where you can't really call them a console anymore. They're just small form factor PC's with this new generation.
Is that more true than for the first XBox (that was the most direct PC of all of them I think, running a close to regular windows OS and almost PC hardware) or the latest Xbox ?

They feel more different than small form PC's than the first Xbox or XBox one imo (but I am saying that has someone that know virtually nothing), for a couple of reason:
1) loading speed
2) Controller doing relevant things that what we had in our pc
3) How often the PS5 is has fast or faster FPS wise and minimum FPS than the Xbox while the raw specs feel like it would be obviously the other way around if they were 2 PC's, there is something going on with how the proprietary API of sony make it punch above is GPU weight that feel a bit "consoly", not NES/SNES/N64 versus pc of the time obviously and maybe not even PS3, but more than the previous generation that feel like you were purely buying the online gaming server service and 100% artificially forced exclusive if you had a PC.

At least play station wise.

Back