A dual gpu PS5 could be coming soonish? Already? >_>

Interesting, but I'd imagine titles would need to be specially programmed to use it, so no way you can just fire up old titles and have it work.

I hope they pursue a SFR approach rather than AFR. AFR may scale better, but the experience is junk more often than not. Results in dyno queen results but poor performance when it is really needed in troubled scenes.

I'm still never buying any console though.

Odd choice given dual GPU on PC is pretty much dead and new consoles are just PCs. I'm not sure how they are going to handle developer implementation. Most don't bother anymore, and I doubt they would be thrilled if Sony mandates it. (Granted that might bring back dual GPU PC gaming, which is cool)

If Sony doesn't mandate it, I doubt Console buyers would be thrilled to buy a console that is sometimes faster in some games.

It really makes way more sense to just put a faster GPU in it. I wonder if this is just a patent troll thing.

On a console, you'd have all of two configurations to program for, so you could optimize more without worrying about as many unexpected situations. So an mGPU PS5 could make sense...but I'm not holding my breath.

If its a chiplet design.....they don't necessarily need games to be built for it from day 1. It would simply show up as the same hardware---with more cores/speed. A quick patch for the basics, ought to work.

If its a chiplet design.....they don't necessarily need games to be built for it from day 1. It would simply show up as the same hardware---with more cores/speed. A quick patch for the basics, ought to work.

Basically what I was thinking.... would end up being basically a 6800.

Also consoles wouldn't suffer the issues PCs did. Sony is running a custom BSD OS they can push and poke however they like. Even if there not "chiplet" type GPUs, Sony should still be able to make them appear seamlessly to software. The entire system is sharing the same mem pool... not at all the same issues dual GPUs with dual memory pools present on PCs.

I own both a PS5 and PS4Pro and I can tell you for a fact that the PS5 is FAR from Loud and Overheating compared to the monster that was the Pro.
Consider yourself lucky then. I hear there are two fan models being shipped with the PS5, one is louder than the other.

Odd choice given dual GPU on PC is pretty much dead and new consoles are just PCs. I'm not sure how they are going to handle developer implementation. Most don't bother anymore, and I doubt they would be thrilled if Sony mandates it. (Granted that might bring back dual GPU PC gaming, which is cool)
Also given how much more powerful/more watt a GPU could easily have instead of having 2 of them in a future special edition version, but the PS5 is neither Vulkan nor DirectX 12 but I custom proprietary API and insofar that is relevant to how well multi GPU support is, I am not sure how they are 100% PC under that aspect and how much work would be required compared to making it work well on a PC. Maybe it was a way to keep it secret to Microsoft and to make it hard for XBox to simply ask AMD to also buy that bigger console version of RDNA2.

That said like said above giant company getting patent for something is quite different than something actually happening, they have the money to just patten maybes and ideas and do not mind loosing them for not using them (and it is not easy to go to courts against those).

Last edited:
Yeah right.
It creates a hell of a paradigm for programmers vs a single larger GPU.
SLI/Crossfire has always been a niche because it doesnt work well all the time.
Have fun with this idea.

If Sony doesn't mandate it, I doubt Console buyers would be thrilled to buy a console that is sometimes faster in some games.

It really makes way more sense to just put a faster GPU in it. I wonder if this is just a patent troll thing.

Why, it's the same trick PS4 Pro used.

They just doubled the number of GPUs on-chip (and waited for patches to add performance to existing games).

It's easier to copy and paste the same GPU plus overclock it, than it is to redesign it (and now that game designers are used to this, they will need very little effort to support it).

Last edited:

They just doubled the number of GPUs on-chip (and waited for patches to add performance to existing games).

It's easier to copy and paste the same GPU plus overclock it, than it is to redesign it (and now that game designers are used to this, they will need very little effort to support it).

not sure if serious?

They put a bigger GPU in the PS4 Pro. They didn't add a second one. This patent seems to indicate literally adding a second one.

PS4 Pro was like... replacing the single video card in your PC with a better one. Not adding another of the same type.

That said, it would really be up to Sony to make this work, if they actually went through with it. Whatever API they are using (Vulkan? Anyone actually know?) would be aware of it, so maybe they could make adding multi-GPU support fairly trivial for developers, since it's such a controlled environment.

not sure if serious?

They put a bigger GPU in the PS4 Pro. They didn't add a second one. This patent seems to indicate literally adding a second one.

PS4 Pro was like... replacing the single video card in your PC with a better one. Not adding another of the same type.

That said, it would really be up to Sony to make this work, if they actually went through with it. Whatever API they are using (Vulkan? Anyone actually know?) would be aware of it, so maybe they could make adding multi-GPU support fairly trivial for developers, since it's such a controlled environment.
It's a propreitary api with many similarities to DX12 and Vulkan, I gather.

The patent is about multiple independant GPU either rendering half the frame or rendering half the screen on each frame, that sound different than just putting a bigger single GPU a la PS4 Pro.

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0242723.html
In a multi-GPU simulation environment, frame buffer management may be implemented by multiple GPUs rendering respective frames of video, or by rendering respective portions of each frame of video. One of the GPUs controls HDMI frame output by virtue of receiving frame information from the other GPU(s) and reading out complete frames through a physically connected HDMI output port. Or, the outputs of the GPUs can be multiplexed together.

The patent is ultra wide and cover almost any scenario too, but that list of concern:
As further understood herein, however, such a “high end” multiple SoC design poses challenges to the software and simulation (game) design, which must scale accordingly. As an example, challenges arise related to non-uniform memory access (NUMA) and thread management, as well as providing hints to software to use the hardware in the best way. In the case of GPUs working in concert, the framebuffer management and control of high definition multimedia (HDMI) output may be addressed. Other challenges as well may be addressed herein.

Was probably not all that for the PS4 pro.

A lot of people get confused because media has basically said they strapped on a second PS4 GPU in the PS4 Pro. What they actually did is double the units of the GPU using the same architecture base. A lot of work was done besides just doubling it but going into detail is above my pay grade. Someone with far more knowledge than I have about chip design can explain it better.

It seems this patent is more SLI oriented.

It may also be being used in other markets.

As for difficulty to program? There are still a lot of developers making games that began their careers on the Sega Saturn. If they could Rangel a Master/Slave dual CPU that were in a constant drunken brawl with each other, two VDPS that only do half the others work, an IO cpu, and sound processor at the metal level, I suspect they could tangle twin APUs with robots programming libraries and strong support. 😀

Last edited:
I'm not expecting a "PS5 Pro" until sometime mid-cycle, so 3-ish years from now.

I'm also cautious on expectations as well. Maybe those games that have to play at 4K30 with ray tracing can play at 4K60. More games can use ray tracing in general. Really, I'd say the largest priorities are improving the built-in storage capacity and shrinking the physical size.

I'm not expecting a "PS5 Pro" until sometime mid-cycle, so 3-ish years from now.

I'm also cautious on expectations as well. Maybe those games that have to play at 4K30 with ray tracing can play at 4K60. More games can use ray tracing in general. Really, I'd say the largest priorities are improving the built-in storage capacity and shrinking the physical size.
Sure they will probably increase the built in storage later when they can get better prices for the chips they use, but shrinking it? I doubt it. I bet they make it bigger especially if they make a pro version lol.

Yea don't expect anything for at least 3 years. I am sure MS is also working on a more powerful system in the future also. They are probably still in R&D for it atm.

Sure they will probably increase the built in storage later when they can get better prices for the chips they use, but shrinking it? I doubt it. I bet they make it bigger especially if they make a pro version lol.
Doubt it. It will probably be just as big. AMD will have 5nm and possibly even lower by then.

And they think the PS5 is loud and overheating now? Wait until they cram another GPU in it.

Also, Aerith dies.

Well, considering how much Square messed things up in FF7 Remake that might not be the case anymore... 🤣

I own both a PS5 and PS4Pro and I can tell you for a fact that the PS5 is FAR from Loud and Overheating compared to the monster that was the Pro.
I own both as well and have the opposite experience. Definitely can feel the heat generated by the PS5 but never had any symptoms of overheating and it’s definitely quieter than my PS4 Pro is.

I think it will be treated as a single gpu still even though it is two. all handle by the system itself. games wont know any better.

SLI is dead, with the updates made to multi GPU coding in DX12 we are likely going to see an uptick in it going forward. Microsoft worked with Intel, AMD, and NVidia to make large improvements to it. It's adoption moving forward is needed before we can start to safely see MCM based consumer GPU's, this is something that all parties want to happen so I can see them incentivizing developers to add it going forward.

I own both as well and have the opposite experience. Definitely can feel the heat generated by the PS5 but never had any symptoms of overheating and it’s definitely quieter than my PS4 Pro is.

Sounds like we have the same experience :)

Yea don't expect anything for at least 3 years. I am sure MS is also working on a more powerful system in the future also. They are probably still in R&D for it atm.
Microsoft should rather work on a game or two first. Incremental spec bumps aren't how you win console wars.

Last edited:
Until you put a disc in it. Sounds like a turbofan loading a game.

Yeah, I wonder if it's because the drive is inverted in the chasis. Was really weird having to put the disc with the top of it facing towards the center mass of the console. The pro and slim do have pretty loud drives also though.

The size is dictated in no small part by the density of the chips. If the APU and SSD can move to new manufacturing processes, it might not be hard to shrink their overall size even if they're more powerful.

I doubt they do this, they should just do what they did with the Pro and add the same amount of CU/ROPs the PS5 already has in a butterfly like design. It would be a huge boost and you wouldn’t have to worry about the downsides.

I guess the die size would be a concern even at 5nm. I don’t know just seems dumb.

I doubt they do this, they should just do what they did with the Pro and add the same amount of CU/ROPs the PS5 already has in a butterfly like design. It would be a huge boost and you wouldn’t have to worry about the downsides.

I guess the die size would be a concern even at 5nm. I don’t know just seems dumb.
It could be dump for the current version with how much room they could once the do a PS5 pro version, I think the rational is that if you go for many little gpu / cpu instead of bigger more complex one, you have much better yield and lost for each failed silicon are less an issue, you compensate with much more complex system/software above it but it can end up cheaper. Maybe it could be more of a PS6 potential affair.

It can't be harder to code for than the PS3 was... and they might have the rest of the system fast enough to not get severely diminshed returns.

But its nuts, the interconnect would be a huge security target

Back