a different PS?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys!

I'm contemplating getting a Wilson U-booster for my cell phone tethering in the house. the problem is it only comes with a vehicle PSU (Cig charger) the specs of the charger are 5.5v 900Ma. The vehicle charger is one that just takes a USB cord. a USB cable runs from the crade\le to the charger.

5.5v 900Ma

Questions:

1. Would the booster work if I just plugged it into my computer?

2. I have a wall charger that accepts a USB cable much like the cig charger. the differance is that it is 5v 1amp output. Would it work, if so what would be the difference?

I would go with option 2. Although the wall charger can output up to 1A, the charger will only use what it needs, the 900mA.

A computer USB is limited to generally under 500mA.

USB ports are only spec'ed to supply 500mA, and only if the device identifies itself as a high-current device. Some older motherboards didn't bother with that part, and just hooked the USB ports straight to the 5V rail. Or so I've heard. It's possible to supply that much current if you use one of those cables with two male USB plugs on the end.

I would go with option 2. Although the wall charger can output up to 1A, the charger will only use what it needs, the 900mA.

A computer USB is limited to generally under 500mA.

would the .5 less volts be a problem?

I have it running and though it runs a little hot to the touch, it seems fine

Back