A day working for an ISP

Atech

2[H]4U
Here are some photos that might or might not interest you, from a field most of you guys never see...the DSLAM/switch/X-field setup for an ISP:

The "batmobile":

Here is the X-field:

It's the place where the copper-wires from the customers come into the central and gets crossed over to our equipment on the central.

Here is then the "gems":

On top our ROFI-switch with a fiber to the backbone, under that the DSLAM's (2 of them) filled with linescards (hence customers :D)

"Poking" to see if we can reach the world:

After setting up the ROFI(to get a more managed backbone) my collegaue is checking the configuration of VLANS and does some running pings to verify that all is well on the "inderwab", but from the backbone itself and through VPN over 3G net to "HQ" and towards the ROFI.

18 of these we did in 2 days...not much sleep...but the internet must not fail!

And here are some "odd" shots.

Someone should teach our fiber-supplier to mount equipment in a rack :eek::

.oO(don't ask why, we have already done that ;))

And the centrals we are on, are pretty old, with old testing gear still in place:

how do you learn the stuff required to work for an ISP like that and on things like 3G?

how do you learn the stuff required to work for an ISP like that and on things like 3G?

Hands on, I have no certificates or IT-education.
Been a geek all my life, started as supporter for FR and after a year I got promoted to network.
But a good place to start, if you have no network experince, would be stuff likke CCNA, thi can be really educational:
http://www.cbtnuggets.com/

But then again I learn new stuff at work every day, so I don't neeed certifications, my CV is better ;)

Some great colleges have telecommunications degrees. I'm at Murray State University finishing my TSM (telecommunications systems management) area study in wireless and network administration. After college I'm going to get my CCNA which will be a piece of cake and then I'm going to start work on my ccnp :).

Back