A-DATA S599 AS599S-64GM-C 60GB SSD Benchmark

netvope

n00b
I received my ADATA S599 60GB SSD today. It was a warm deal posted by ordovician a few days ago. I couldn't post a reply there because my post count is below 50.

Overall I think this is a good drive, although it seems to be slower than the published 100GB and 128GB drives benchmarks.

First of all, this is a 60GB drive, not a 64GB drive as advertised. Actual capacity is 55.9 GiB. A 64GB drive would have 59.6GiB space instead.

The drive arrived with a mis-aligned (63 sector offset) NTFS partition. I've no idea why.

SMART says that the "power on count" is 6, meaning that it has been powered on 5 times before I got the drive. "Unexpected power loss count" is 4. Perhaps they tested the drive? Or was it a returned drive?...

CrystalDiskInfo%20(E4200).PNG

"SSD life left" is 94. CrystalDiskInfo interpreted that as "Health Status 94% Good". Not sure what that means.

The maximum read and write speed are 280MB/s and 230MB/s, obtained with ATTO. I believe ATTO writes zeros to the disk, which can be highly compressed by the Sandforce controller. However, I don't think this represents real world usage.

ATTO.png

By default, CrystalDiskMark writes random data and gives much lower speeds than ATTO. Sequential read (write) speed is 201 (100) MB/s. The write speed is a bit disappointing. Choosing "zero fill" would double the write speed.

Default:
CrystalDiskMark.png

Zero Fill:
CrystalDiskMark%20ZeroFill.PNG

Maximum 4K IOPS achieved with QD=32 and zero fill is 43K. Not too far from the specs (50K). However, with random fill, the 4K IOPS drops to 26K.

As reported by HD Tune Pro, the average access time is about 0.1ms (4K, both read and write), but the maximum write access time can be up to 10ms (4K). Is this expected for a Sandforce-based SSD?

HDTunePro%20ReadAccessTime.png

HDTunePro%20WriteAccessTime%201.png

Link to HD Tune Pro 64K sequential read results
Link to HD Tune Pro 64K sequential write results

The AS SSD score is roughly the same as an Intel X25-M (just a bit lower, from what I've seen). The SSD copy benchmark gives a surprisingly low score for the "Program" test, though.

as-ssd-bench%20ADATA%20SS%20D%20S599%20%2010.26.2010%208-47-02%20PM.png

as-copy-bench%20ADATA%20SS%20D%20S599%20%2010.26.2010%208-52-04%20PM.png

Do you have this drive? Do you get similar results?

Last edited:
Thought I'd chime in now that I have one for testing. These were all done having installed Windows 7, Office 2010, and all default updates - about 42GB free. No HD Tune Pro write tests for obvious reasons. No AHCI as it's running on an Asus P5N-D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 256.710 MB/s
Sequential Write : 211.866 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 256.687 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 210.971 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 32.370 MB/s [ 7902.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 58.373 MB/s [ 14251.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 81.072 MB/s [ 19793.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 69.599 MB/s [ 16992.0 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [C: 25.5% (14.3/55.9 GB)] (x1) <All 0x00, 0Fill>
Date : 2010/11/15 19:48:25

CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 199.634 MB/s
Sequential Write : 52.324 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 196.989 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 46.215 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 24.804 MB/s [ 6055.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 50.094 MB/s [ 12230.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 70.580 MB/s [ 17231.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 64.931 MB/s [ 15852.3 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [C: 25.5% (14.3/55.9 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2010/11/15 19:50:29

ebcd59e3b22002fdbfe67f3c972ed3ca.png

56f514d32a1ea6ee380f193e2b958c0b.png

496a41383c981bfaf458c6c94014b54c.png

9ff4725cee4d85f8bc782de4152f9601.png

828d6dc919e2b081a341cd0f1ce3a40b.png

17e3e5285499ad02cbeb2c826d2b2623.png

These benches are why I sort of scoff when people talk about how great SandForce based drives are when it comes to read/write speeds. Sure you can get great numbers with highly compressable data (like all zeroes) but.... meh....

I would rather use something that has a solid rated speed no matter what data I'm reading/writing. And it may be the old skooler in me but the idea of a controller arbitrarily compressing my data just doesn't sit well with me. It reminds me of the 'Stacker' hardware and software that we had a brief fad with in the early 1990's... anyone remember this? Microsoft even had one called 'DoubleSpace' if I remember right.

Now with that being said it's kind of hard to ignore the value. Micro Center has this SSD under their own brand name for $99 right now. That's pretty awesome...

Now with that being said it's kind of hard to ignore the value. Micro Center has this SSD under their own brand name for $99 right now. That's pretty awesome...

Yea, by tomorrow I will have six to eight of these drives. With tax/ shipping to CA Microcenter/ Amazon are the same price. Realistically though, you can't tell the performance difference (real world) between the Intel drives and these. ATTO just looks cool since it is a best case scenario benchmark for Sandforce drives. Here is what I got with the first ADATA S599.

Big thing is no rebates on either option :0)

These benches are why I sort of scoff when people talk about how great SandForce based drives are when it comes to read/write speeds. Sure you can get great numbers with highly compressable data (like all zeroes) but.... meh....

Note that CDM gives you an option of the type of data to write. The first CDM benchmark from Snowknight26 was "<All 0x00, 0Fill>", 211 MB/s sequential write, but the second CDM he posted was incompressible data, and sequential write dropped to 52 MB/s.

So is the SSD a dud or do they all perform below the rated speeds?

This is just normal Sandforce behavior. To be clear, most of the discussion here is academic because Sandforce drives do preform well in real-world usage scenarios.

Sandforce is the only type of SSD that regularly inflates the specs for their sequential write and read speeds. With non-Sandforce SSDs, you can generally trust their specifications to be accurate. Intel is particularly good at quoting accurate specifications for their SSDs.

My results don't look nearly as good as yours.

s599.jpg

I wonder if I did something wrong setting it up? I installed Windows on it today in AHCI mode...I'm not sure what else is necessary. It's the same drive though, so I don't know why my numbers are so low.

I checked out the ADATA down load section for this SSD and their is no firmware down loads available. Sandforce appears to have problems and many other brands have firmware updates. Adata offers nothing. If ADATA isn't doing a good job with the updates. I would RMA this SSD if I had it and it didn't perform as it should.

Last edited:
Redmist:

Run AS-SSD and post the image. AS-SSD provides some useful information like alignment and driver type.

AS SSD says I'm running msahci. 1024k.

msahci driver gives top performance with most SSDs I have seen. And your partition is aligned (1024KB offset). So all of that looks fine.

But your AS-SSD performance is horrible. Particularly sequential read and 4KB-64QD read and write. I have no idea what would cause that, but I would try two things:

1) Transfer the SSD to a known good computer and run AS-SSD

2) Borrow a known good SSD and swap it with the suspect SSD on your computer and run AS-SSD

msahci driver gives top performance with most SSDs I have seen. And your partition is aligned (1024KB offset). So all of that looks fine.

But your AS-SSD performance is horrible. Particularly sequential read and 4KB-64QD read and write. I have no idea what would cause that, but I would try two things:

1) Transfer the SSD to a known good computer and run AS-SSD

2) Borrow a known good SSD and swap it with the suspect SSD on your computer and run AS-SSD
Well, my rig is a known good SSD. Worked fine with the HDD, and still is working fine other than the SSD being slow. and I don't know anyone else who owns an SSD.

but the SSD is plugged into SATA Port 6 on my P5Q Pro Turbo. Would that make a difference? Should I rearrange and make sure it's plugged into Port 1 or something?

I made tons of reading over the net last few days, and all i can say is that the S599 drives are bad batch for prolly. Just ask yourself why are this things like 30$ cheaper? then other SF based SSD (same capacity) the answer is poor QC and under performing units.

[LYL]Homer;1036519604 said:
Is port 6 under a different controller than the Intel one?
Not sure. My P5Q Pro Turbo apparently has "5+2" Sata 3GB/s ports. I'm thinking the "+2" might be 1.5GB/s ports. I'm going to try a different port in a little while.

Fine, your SSD is good. No problem. Why are you bothering us?
My bad. I posted that as soon as I woke up this morning. I meant to say that my rig is a known good computer, as it worked fine before I installed the SSD.

Edit: SATA port 1 works much better! Thanks guys.
s5992.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure. My P5Q Pro Turbo apparently has "5+2" Sata 3GB/s ports. I'm thinking the "+2" might be 1.5GB/s ports. I'm going to try a different port in a little while.

My bad. I posted that as soon as I woke up this morning. I meant to say that my rig is a known good computer, as it worked fine before I installed the SSD.

Edit: SATA port 1 works much better! Thanks guys.
s5992.jpg

Looks like your drive is quite a bit faster than mine :)
Could you please also test it with random data? (i.e. not "All 0x00 (0 fill)")
Would be nice to see the results ;)

Nice result he got.

So it looks like the sandforce SSD's all the same just hit or miss if you get a fast one.

Nice result he got.

So it looks like the sandforce SSD's all the same just hit or miss if you get a fast one.

Sandforce drives excel at writing streams of zeros. If your workload involves mostly saving streams of zeros, then any Sandforce drive will give similar performance.

I did 1 100MB this time since that's what you did. Also not sure how much my drive being filled and yours being empty affects the benchmarks.

cdm01.jpg

Last edited:
I did 1 100MB this time since that's what you did. Also not sure how much my drive being filled and yours being empty affects the benchmarks.

cdm01.jpg

um... it looks like your SATA controller or driver doesn't support TRIM

After using my drive for a while with an nforce chipset and nvidia driver, all 4 rows of my write speed dropped to about 64 MB/s (from 100 MB/s). I used a disk editor to confirmed that TRIM wasn't working (file content remains after being deleted).

So I reverted to the default MS driver (which supports TRIM) and did an ATA secure erase. The write speed returned to normal. I've been using the drive for 1 month since then and the write speed hasn't deteriorated.

um... it looks like your SATA controller or driver doesn't support TRIM

After using my drive for a while with an nforce chipset and nvidia driver, all 4 rows of my write speed dropped to about 64 MB/s (from 100 MB/s). I used a disk editor to confirmed that TRIM wasn't working (file content remains after being deleted).

So I reverted to the default MS driver (which supports TRIM) and did an ATA secure erase. The write speed returned to normal. I've been using the drive for 1 month since then and the write speed hasn't deteriorated.
Well, according to the OCZ guide, I have trim enabled.

Enable TRIM

Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

trimh.jpg

Is there a better way to enable/check the status of TRIM? AS SSD says I'm using the msahci driver, which is the Microsoft driver if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Well, according to the OCZ guide, I have trim enabled.

Is there a better way to enable/check the status of TRIM? AS SSD says I'm using the msahci driver, which is the Microsoft driver if I recall correctly.

When I was using the nvidia driver, DisableDeleteNotify was 0. However, by deleting a file and using a disk editor to check the space previously occupied by the file, I found that the file content was still there, meaning that TRIM was not enabled.

Now I use the MS driver and the space occupied by any deleted file is zero-filled, i.e. TRIM is enabled. More importantly, the write speed do not degrade over time like when I was using the nvidia driver.

If you have not used a disk editor before, I think it may be easier to use an "undelete" program, such as this one. Duplicate (or create) a non-empty file greater than 4KB, delete it, and try to recover it. If you can recover the file (with correct content), TRIM is not enabled.

Hi,

Just worried about my speeds, can you please confirm they are OK?

Using latest MB Bios (Rampage 3 Extreme) and latest drive bios 3.4.6

I'm using only 1 Adata S599 128 GB on intel SATA 6 using AHCI enabled in BIOS and via Windows registry tweak as well as ensure TRIM is enabled.

http://tinypic.com/r/i5qgsi/7

Last edited:
Hi,

Just worried about my speeds, can you please confirm they are OK?

Using latest MB Bios (Rampage 3 Extreme) and latest drive bios 3.4.6

I'm using only 1 Adata S599 128 GB on intel SATA 6 using AHCI enabled in BIOS and via Windows registry tweak as well as ensure TRIM is enabled.

http://tinypic.com/r/i5qgsi/7

My drive has similar performance after using it for two weeks. (Despite TRIM, the write performance drops to ~65MB/s over time...)

Back