A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz DDR2 $69 Shipped

If you buy two sticks it comes out to about the same with shipping, but who the crap is eWiz? They have a good rating on resellerratings.com. Guess that's all that matters. I like Super Talent, but you can't just come out and say "better memory" here without explaining why. It looks the same to me, and I would never say that super talent was necessarily a "better" brand than A-Data. Look at all the positive reviews that this a-data stuff gets that are overwhelmingly positive, and those supertalent sticks only have five reviews right now. Still, it looks to be as good a deal as this one. Have you tested SuperTalent's support service? I have found A-data to be quite helpful and respond quickly to inquiries. Also, this a-data ram overclocks exceptionally well for its price. Several of us have our running at 1000MHz with stock or better timings with slightly above normal voltage. Can you verify that this super talent is as capable? Thanks for the option. I'm sure it's good ram, I would just have to see more information on it than 5 eWiz reviews to be convinced.

eWiz is actually the etail outlet for SuperTalent
Ever notice how eWiz ALWAYS has their stuff sooner and cheaper than anybody else?
Look at the address for both companies.
Tried to link to BBB's eWiz search results but no go...
Here's their addie...

ewiz.com
www.ewiz.com
2077 N Capitol Ave
San Jose, CA 95132

SuperTalent headquarters addie

I upped my Frys.com order to 2- 4GB packs.
Buying commodities is fun!

eWiz is actually the retail outlet for SuperTalent
Ever notice how eWiz ALWAYS has their stuff sooner and cheaper than anybody else?
Look at the address for both companies.

I upped my Frys.com order to 2- 4GB packs.
Buying commodities is fun!

eWiz's shipping charges always kill the deal for me. Every time. They overcharge like mad -- wanted something like $15 to ship a Q6600 5 day, a few weeks back.

Remember my ram tops out at 1000MHz even. I couldn't get it to go higher, even with more voltage. It could be board related at those higher voltages. I'm getting a new board soon to test it on just to make sure it's the ram that's at its limit and not the motherboard, but until then my reliable/stable max on this ram is 1000MHz at 5-5-5-15 timings at 1.95 volts.

Well what if you have a mobo that has FSB rated @ 1333/1066MHz ? is this still the ram to get? I was kind of leaning towards some 4GB (2x2GB 1066 (PC2 8500) DDR2 kits. Then I seen this A-Data stuff on-sale a little over a week ago for $79.99 w/$20 rebate and free ship. The rebate says its good for two purchases per household so I bought two kits for a Vista 64-bit system build. I've yet to install it though as I'm waiting for E8400's to come back in stock (and for the prices to come back to Earth). I figure by then 9800 cards should be out too. So I'm not really in a big rush to get the parts to build my system. Still, wondering if I got the right RAM stick for my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L since it has a FSB rated @ 1333/1066MHz.

Well what if you have a mobo that has FSB rated @ 1333/1066MHz ? is this still the ram to get? I was kind of leaning towards some 4GB (2x2GB 1066 (PC2 8500) DDR2 kits. Then I seen this A-Data stuff on-sale a little over a week ago for $79.99 w/$20 rebate and free ship. The rebate says its good for two purchases per household so I bought two kits for a Vista 64-bit system build. I've yet to install it though as I'm waiting for E8400's to come back in stock (and for the prices to come back to Earth). I figure by then 9800 cards should be out too. So I'm not really in a big rush to get the parts to build my system. Still, wondering if I got the right RAM stick for my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L since it has a FSB rated @ 1333/1066MHz.

My board is rated at 1333/1066 too, but in my BIOS it lets me pick different ratios so that I can still run linked with the CPU but not at clock speeds too high for my ram. I haven't been able to hit 1066 with my current mobo, but it is solid as a flippin rock at 1000MHz, and it's linked at a 2:3 ratio with my CPU. Performance in Everest is outstanding, and system stability and performance in Windows Vista 64 bit reflects that. I'm very pleased. It also requires very little voltage to perform at those levels. This ram should work fine with your board, and you may even get it to hit 1066, I don't know. I'm getting a new board next week, and I'll see if it pushes it any higher. (i'm certainly going to be angry if it can't run at least as good as it's running now with the new board, because I'm selling my current board!)

I know of no compatibility issues with P35 boards and this ram. Should work like a charm, just set the right ratio. My mobo even lets you run unlinked so you can push your ram to its highest overclock independently, then push the CPU to its highest overclock as well, just for maximum tweaking potential, but my system seems way happier and more stable when everything is linked at a common ratio. I have my N/B strap at 1333, and it still hasn't affected anything ram-related adversely, so you should be fine.

My board is rated at 1333/1066 too, but in my BIOS it lets me pick different ratios so that I can still run linked with the CPU but not at clock speeds too high for my ram. I haven't been able to hit 1066 with my current mobo, but it is solid as a flippin rock at 1000MHz, and it's linked at a 2:3 ratio with my CPU. Performance in Everest is outstanding, and system stability and performance in Windows Vista 64 bit reflects that. I'm very pleased. It also requires very little voltage to perform at those levels. This ram should work fine with your board, and you may even get it to hit 1066, I don't know. I'm getting a new board next week, and I'll see if it pushes it any higher. (i'm certainly going to be angry if it can't run at least as good as it's running now with the new board, because I'm selling my current board!)

I know of no compatibility issues with P35 boards and this ram. Should work like a charm, just set the right ratio. My mobo even lets you run unlinked so you can push your ram to its highest overclock independently, then push the CPU to its highest overclock as well, just for maximum tweaking potential, but my system seems way happier and more stable when everything is linked at a common ratio. I have my N/B strap at 1333, and it still hasn't affected anything ram-related adversely, so you should be fine.

Well you must have got different chips on yours, than I did on mine. Been messing with this ram that I just got today, and it won't run 455 fsb at ANY voltage without throwing errors. Any timings as well.

Larry

Well you must have got different chips on yours, than I did on mine. Been messing with this ram that I just got today, and it won't run 455 fsb at ANY voltage without throwing errors. Any timings as well.

Larry

What board are you running it on, good sir? The DFI in your sig?

What board are you running it on, good sir? The DFI in your sig?

Yes. Could be just bad sticks/s. I sat up last night running memtest at various speeds/configurations, I had what I thought was stable at 450 fsb, tried 455, no go, back to 450 and errors all over the place.

I have not decided if I will keep them, or sell them off cheap, no RMA, as the sticks do what they are sold to do. I had read at XS that some of the new sticks didn't clock well, I must have gotten a set of those.

Larry

Yes. Could be just bad sticks/s. I sat up last night running memtest at various speeds/configurations, I had what I thought was stable at 450 fsb, tried 455, no go, back to 450 and errors all over the place.

I have not decided if I will keep them, or sell them off cheap, no RMA, as the sticks do what they are sold to do. I had read at XS that some of the new sticks didn't clock well, I must have gotten a set of those.

Larry

What voltages have you tried and what timings?

I've tried from 1.8v up to 2.1v, timings, 5/5/5/15, trfc 52, performance level 8/9 and defaults. Won't pass memtest at 5/5/5/18. Got em at 450 fsb, 1.925v with NB of 1.53v right now stable in memtest and windows. 455 fsb I get random errors no matter what. Got any timings on these things?

Larry

I've tried from 1.8v up to 2.1v, timings, 5/5/5/15, trfc 52, performance level 8/9 and defaults. Won't pass memtest at 5/5/5/18. Got em at 450 fsb, 1.925v with NB of 1.53v right now stable in memtest and windows. 455 fsb I get random errors no matter what. Got any timings on these things?

Larry

That's so weird. I've got mine at 5-5-5-15, but stock timings are 5-5-5-18, 800MHz at 1.8v. I have mine running at 1000MHz linked to CPU at a 2:3 ratio, with 1.95v. Solid as a rock. Any higher, voltage or MHz and they start throwing errors. It took me a long time to find the sweet spot for this memory, but now that I have it really runs great.

That's so weird. I've got mine at 5-5-5-15, but stock timings are 5-5-5-18, 800MHz at 1.8v. I have mine running at 1000MHz linked to CPU at a 2:3 ratio, with 1.95v. Solid as a rock. Any higher, voltage or MHz and they start throwing errors. It took me a long time to find the sweet spot for this memory, but now that I have it really runs great.

Could they have changed ICs? I don't actually know what they're using on these anyway, but Fry's was sold out for several weeks.

What a rip, $99 Newegg, I was just about to order too.

(Looks like Fry's is still $69.99 so I'm ordering right now.)

i picked up a pair of these, i can attest - great buy.... very stable memory, worked right outta the box. No overclocking experience as of yet, but any reviews I've read indicate these are great overclockers.

just my $0.02

I got them running better, changed bios, and have em running Blend at 455 right now. 1.825v, I was giving them too much voltage. I had been starting OC'n with them at 1.85v and at 450 fsb they were fine, and after hearing that they run higher at 1.95v, of course I gave them a tad more juice when I got a few errors at 1.85v with 455. Didn't think to Lower the volts..

Larry

Less volts should pretty much never equal more stable.unless they were overheating, and RAM generally runs pretty cool. I think your success had a lot more to do with your BIOS update than it did messing with the vdimm.

Less volts should pretty much never equal more stable.unless they were overheating, and RAM generally runs pretty cool. I think your success had a lot more to do with your BIOS update than it did messing with the vdimm.

Wasn't bios, flashed back to the original and all is fine. Ram does not get hot around here, got 2 x 92mm fans blowing on them, another over the NB. It was 2 much voltage, I made a mistake and started out with too much, shortcuts don't help in OC'n. It is odd that mine do not like volts tho/shrug.

Larry

Wasn't bios, flashed back to the original and all is fine. Ram does not get hot around here, got 2 x 92mm fans blowing on them, another over the NB. It was 2 much voltage, I made a mistake and started out with too much, shortcuts don't help in OC'n. It is odd that mine do not like volts tho/shrug.

Larry

Yeah, mine's weird like that, too. It runs fine wherever lower than 1.95, but no matter what speed I try to run at, it throws errors with even a smidgen more than 1.95 volts. Strange ram, but the stuff is great for cheap!

anyone have any issues with only seeing 3072 on bootup?

i suspect its a bios issue on the cheap piece of junk mobo, its a ECS mobo. but i thought id ask

anyone have any issues with only seeing 3072 on bootup?

i suspect its a bios issue on the cheap piece of junk mobo, its a ECS mobo. but i thought id ask

Does it say that amount of ram on the post screen, or is that all the OS recognizes? If it's the OS, then you probably have a 32 bit version. You need 64-bit Windows XP or Vista in order to see all four gigs.

its the post.

and to make it worse, when i try to run 800 in the bios (which has nonadjustable voltage, but shoes 1.79 on the ram)

it wont even post.

**edit**

lucky me, just had a chance to check the webpage for bios updates, and the latest one

"-Fix memory size will show 3702mb with PCI VGA Card & 4GB RAM are plugged at the same time"

:)

its the post.

and to make it worse, when i try to run 800 in the bios (which has nonadjustable voltage, but shoes 1.79 on the ram)

it wont even post.

**edit**

lucky me, just had a chance to check the webpage for bios updates, and the latest one

"-Fix memory size will show 3702mb with PCI VGA Card & 4GB RAM are plugged at the same time"

:)

Oy. There you go, man. Hope that works better now for ya.

In for two. About $150 shipped for 8 gigs of mem... Does anyone else think about how utterly insane that statement would have been a couple years ago?

In for two. About $150 shipped for 8 gigs of mem... Does anyone else think about how utterly insane that statement would have been a couple years ago?

No lie! A couple years ago even 1 GB of ram at $150 and I would have been on it like white on rice. I still haven't made up my mind on ordering. I don't really need them.

well, I just put mine in a new (used but new to me!) motherboard. So far so good. I have a much higher overclock on my processor now though with this board, so it's going to take some tweaking and testing to get it to optimal. Currently testing a/memtest @ 995mHz with 5-5-5-15 timings at 1.95v. Only a tad slower than the other board had it at, and unlinked now until I figure out optimum settings. So far no errors. This stuff is really solid ram for cheap.

No lie! A couple years ago even 1 GB of ram at $150 and I would have been on it like white on rice. I still haven't made up my mind on ordering. I don't really need them.

Not counting last year, I don't recall ram costing that much. I bought 2GB of G.Skill HZ ram (ddr-500) for around 150 2 years ago. A year before that I bought 2GB f Value ram for that price. Not DDR2, but DDR2 is the new DDR.

DDR3 is probably more analogous to DDR2 2 years ago.

I guess it was maybe just the brands I purchased. I just looked up DDR and DDR2 prices for May 2006 and things were still high.

Ok, now I've got it on my EVGA board running linked to a 3.65GHz oc'ed Q6700 at the 3:2 ratio. It's running stable at 5-4-4-14 timings at 973MHz with 1.95v. I might try to see if I can bump the CPU just a tad bit more in order to get closer to 1000MHz with the ram. Something about that four digit number....

Ok, now I've got it on my EVGA board running linked to a 3.65GHz oc'ed Q6700 at the 3:2 ratio. It's running stable at 5-4-4-14 timings at 973MHz with 1.95v. I might try to see if I can bump the CPU just a tad bit more in order to get closer to 1000MHz with the ram. Something about that four digit number....

Rock on dude!
Thanks for all the research and reporting!

Rock on dude!
Thanks for all the research and reporting!

Ah, no prob. That's what this forum is all about! When I get some free time I'll run tests in 2x2GB just for fun. see how fast it can fly with only two sticks. Although I have some news. Step up just came up for my EVGA board so now I'm going to be without my mean machine for a week while I wait for the 780i... :( Oh well. Penryn ... hee hee

Ah, no prob. That's what this forum is all about! When I get some free time I'll run tests in 2x2GB just for fun. see how fast it can fly with only two sticks. Although I have some news. Step up just came up for my EVGA board so now I'm going to be without my mean machine for a week while I wait for the 780i... :( Oh well. Penryn ... hee hee
They don't cross ship for step up? That's kinda lame. If you've only got one computer, or your other computer(s) are much older, that makes the step-up pretty damn inconvenient.

Lucky for me, I only have an EVGA video card and I'm holding onto the old X800XL for at least 3 months....just in case there's a reason to step up....but I'm not expecting too much from the 9800 :(

Back