A couple of concerns on my mind over RTX 30 series: Card Scalping & Coil Whine

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. I don't know if my subject has been addressed in other posts here to this forum but I'd like to get your thoughts on the 2 subjects I am starting a conversation about and share my thoughts too. Starting with card scalping, 2 different things appear to have been talked about in some tech news stories I've read or videos I watched on YouTube that have me kind of concerned for this happening at launch. Concern #1: Stock will be limited due to Samsung's yield at 8nm to nVIDIA for the RTX chips. Now what I am not quite certain yet from all the research I've gone through if this shortage will affect both nVIDIA and their FE cards and all the AIBs and their cards but it seems that possibly the AIBs will have cards but their stock could be limited too. Take that into account and also adding this: apparently these cards reportedly are really good at mining a cryptocurrency called Ethereum. If miners want to produce this at a good clip it kind of creates a perfect storm: low stock and crypto-miners wanting to make a lot of money for themselves. I sense bots being involved in all this so the question on my mind is of the population who gets their cards on Thursday, what percentage of those would be actual gamers and what percentage will be crypto-miners? That's just what's on my mind on this subject, what do you all think?

Second concern: coil whine. Now over the years some nVIDIA AIBs have had this problem with their cards. Some brands more frequently than others (if you read all the user reviews at various sites [Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Micro Center, etc.]). eVGA was notorious for a good amount of years involving their GeForce cards in the past having coil whine. Now, I've been an eVGA owner for years and I have been very lucky to never get an eVGA Geforce card with coil whine. However; I know others haven't been so lucky. No one will be able to say for certain coil whine is an RTX 30 problem until the cards release but I wonder, does it concern or worry any of you that this video card issue could follow its way to the RTX 30 series with a brand or two? What are your thoughts and concerns about that possibly happening? Can't wait to hear what you all think as this could be a good conversation about these 2 subjects here. Thanks and until next time I am out!

Regarding crypto, I'm curious... is there a history of good crypto cards having supply issues at launch? What I mean is, is it likely that people are going to be spending thousands of dollars day one on a rumor that they are good for mining? Or do miners tend to wait for proven results before investing large amounts of money? Miners or not, I do expect a lot of supply issues though. Interest is insanely high. The problem I think we'll see is similar to what the Switch has been experiencing since March. Stock is low and scalping is easy, so scalpers buy up every unit they can. If scalpers weren't buying, there would probably be enough stock to go around. It puts us into a cycle where scalping works because there aren't enough units, and there aren't enough units because scalping works. The only way to break this cycle is to produce enough units that the scalpers cannot buy them all, and once consumers are able to get them, scalper value dies off and they give up. I don't see that happening any time soon with these cards. Thus, expect a ton of scalping. Mark my words, this coming weekend, ebay will be full of $1,000 3080's.

Regarding coil whine, I've never thought about it, or cared. I know it bothers a lot of people. Never bothered me. Due to the former conversation though, anyone who is shopping for a 3080 this week and intends to be picky about which card they get is in for a bad time. Stock is going to disappear basically instantly. Take what you can get and be done with it, or else you could be waiting a long time for whatever card you think you'd prefer.

Hi all. I don't know if my subject has been addressed in other posts here to this forum but I'd like to get your thoughts on the 2 subjects I am starting a conversation about and share my thoughts too. Starting with card scalping, 2 different things appear to have been talked about in some tech news stories I've read or videos I watched on YouTube that have me kind of concerned for this happening at launch. Concern #1: Stock will be limited due to Samsung's yield at 8nm to nVIDIA for the RTX chips. Now what I am not quite certain yet from all the research I've gone through if this shortage will affect both nVIDIA and their FE cards and all the AIBs and their cards but it seems that possibly the AIBs will have cards but their stock could be limited too. Take that into account and also adding this: apparently these cards reportedly are really good at mining a cryptocurrency called Ethereum. If miners want to produce this at a good clip it kind of creates a perfect storm: low stock and crypto-miners wanting to make a lot of money for themselves. I sense bots being involved in all this so the question on my mind is of the population who gets their cards on Thursday, what percentage of those would be actual gamers and what percentage will be crypto-miners? That's just what's on my mind on this subject, what do you all think?

Second concern: coil whine. Now over the years some nVIDIA AIBs have had this problem with their cards. Some brands more frequently than others (if you read all the user reviews at various sites [Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Micro Center, etc.]). eVGA was notorious for a good amount of years involving their GeForce cards in the past having coil whine. Now, I've been an eVGA owner for years and I have been very lucky to never get an eVGA Geforce card with coil whine. However; I know others haven't been so lucky. No one will be able to say for certain coil whine is an RTX 30 problem until the cards release but I wonder, does it concern or worry any of you that this video card issue could follow its way to the RTX 30 series with a brand or two? What are your thoughts and concerns about that possibly happening? Can't wait to hear what you all think as this could be a good conversation about these 2 subjects here. Thanks and until next time I am out!

The best way to beat this is to, have your money in hand, and go early. On the 17th of this month, here in a few days, Microcenter will have RTX 3080's at launch. I will be at the store EXTEMELY early to ensure I get my card. I'm talking in the parking lot at 5am. I'll sit in my truck with a bottled water, my pistol ( I'm licensed for conceal carry ) a pillow and a fully charged phone, I'm taking my lawn chair and a blanket and hoodie in case it's chilly.

Hopefully one is within 5 - 6 hours of you. Yes, it's worth the drive.

Back