A Cooler for Intel p4 3.4 GHZ LGA 775

bh0pP

n00b
Where can I find A Cooler for Intel p4 3.4 GHZ LGA 775?

I find a ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462/ 754 and Intel Socket 478 -RETAIL. But it does not support Intel Socket 775. So can you guys help me out. I want the cooler be Zalman if possible. Because I heard from other people said its good, quiet, and strong. So if you guys can...please help me search for a Intel Socket LGA 775 please....I hope its a Zalman...

Thanks.

This is the only available solution for Socket-Ts at the moment to my knowledge. Thats quite a beefy HS though, stick two fans on it and that'd be awesome.

that heatsink looks great... it is as loud or as quiet as the fan or fans you put on it...

two medium speed 80mm panaflo's would be quiet and kick much ass...

I keep hearing conflicting messages. I read a disturbing message about a month ago that said the age of speed was over and they have hit a limit to how fast they can go with current technology, next they will be going to heavily multiprocessing platforms putting a lot of the M-class chips into everything. But then I still read messages that say they are coming out with a new processor in Oct that will be 3.8 Ghz and 64-bit. Anyone got the straight story?

Whoa there, i just had a bad experience with those coolers. You may not wish to try to use it if you've gotten an Abit AA8-DuraMax motherboard. There are several capacitors sitting right under the H-bar that they use to clamp the heatsink down to the processor. You could cut away part of the H-bar and it might work properly still, but I chose not to. No fault of the cooler itself, just a random conflict between different hardware.

edit: i shouldn;t perhaps have worded it this way: its reviews show that it is a beautiful cooler, it just doesn't fit onto AA8 DuraMax motherboards.

this type of cooler works pretty good on my xps gen 3. my max load temp i have seen is 47C, and this is a hot running processor.

Just finished installing this particular heatpipe, as of this moment!

It was somewhat labor intensive to take my comp apart so forth, and to put this puppy on. But I'm running a Prescott and so far it has lowered my idle temps around 10c. Currently @ 19c....but then I haven't done anything yet really. Got good air flow otherwise and a good heavy case. But this Tower looked interesting made of copper in the heatpipe design and comes with directions and hardware for a variety of Cpu's...including the LGA. Can take 2 fans 80 or 90 and so forth, or none at all if you'd rather. Seems fairly well made, big as all get out....(so DO consider the size of your case before purchase: I've had an old SOHO server from Antec for several years that I tried this in, fits fine.) But a real pain to install.

And so far seems to have lowered temps and that's certainly good..... I don't regret buying this. Good for Thermal take.

GL :)

bh0pP said:
Where can I find A Cooler for Intel p4 3.4 GHZ LGA 775?

I find a ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462/ 754 and Intel Socket 478 -RETAIL. But it does not support Intel Socket 775. So can you guys help me out. I want the cooler be Zalman if possible. Because I heard from other people said its good, quiet, and strong. So if you guys can...please help me search for a Intel Socket LGA 775 please....I hope its a Zalman...

Thanks.
Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket quiet coolers for LGA775 available right now. The only current aftermarket choices in LGA775-compatible coolers are either the huge, overly heavy heatpipe-type coolers which may not even fit your case or mobo, or are the old-school designs with extremely loud, noisy fans. Thus, the only reasonably quiet cooler for LGA775 CPUs that's available right now which doesn't take up so much room in your case or on your mobo is the stock Intel cooler which comes with boxed LGA775 CPUs.

Currently @ 19c....

That seems really low even a northwood would have to have good cooling to get that low :confused: . That cooler looks like it would crush the cpu and if it fell out crush every thing else in your case :eek: .

Yeah it looks like it could crush everything, but it's surprisingly not "that" heavy for it's looks. I ordered it from Frozen CPU last week since Newegg didn't have it avalible at that time..( though they've notified me by E-mail tonight that it's now avalible there.) The Intel Heatsink for Prescott is fairly hefty for it's lower profile.

Right now it's holding @ 20/ 21C. The motherboard is @ 32c though! :D Does nothing to help that. Only my second night with it installed, but it seems to hang in this neighborhood. Some part of that may be due to it's height and it's position in the Antec SOHO that puts it smack in front of those two rear exhaust fans. Seated on the cpu, the height of the tower fully fills the length of those two fans. The funny part is that the air exhausting from them now is rather cool. I wouldn't even call it warm.

At the moment, I have no fan on the Tower itself because I was tired of putting it together, and only one intake and the two rear exhausts. With no air conditioner running...just to see. Also have "one" hard drive installed and all wire was wraped and routed out of the way long ago. It's pretty clear in there. Then to, this particular Prescott has never run that hot for some very fortunate reason.

The two "H- bars" you need to install for the socket 478 seem not at all cheesy....and most certainly do clamp the tower over the Prescott and the thermal paste with some pressure, no daylight to be seen between those two surfaces I must say. Though I checked to be certain that it didn't bend the board...it did not. By it's design, you'd be hard put to overtighten those bars to bring more pressure to bare on the CPU than necessary. Or at least, I don't know why anyone would?

Also, it doesn't obstruct the other componets in my case. I can easily install/remove memory, vid card etc...and the drive cages remove as easily as before. You do need a fairly big case for this though.

Well anyway, that's how it's goes so far.
GL :)

oh, i really wish i could get mine to fit, but to do that, i'd have to use some sort of saw to take off the extra holes in the side of one of the h-bars, and that would _certainly_ void any warranties it came with.

could you perhaps take some pics of the cooler and show me what parts to cut plz ?
I got a abit aa8 duramax aswell

I bought the Thermaltake Silenttower and it fit on my Abit aa8 duramax without cutting the H-bar i just pushed the mosfet back a little bit :)

Milling Horseman and Corleonee,
I also have the Duramax AA8 and the Thermaltake Tower 112 and with a bit of grinding on one of the plates, this cooler can be installed with a bit of extra effort, but man is it worth it. You just have to grind two small halfmoon shapes so the capacitors can fit. I have a Lian Li PC65B case, Abit AA8 Duramax, 1 Gig Corsair XMS2 667, Seagate Baracuda 160 GB SATA and eVGA PCX 5750 and the setup simply rocks. Can't wait to add PCI-e 6800 Ultra and this baby will be complete. With Intel's stock HSF my system sounded like a dentist's drill under load with temps nearing 60C. Not only did this cooler from Thermaltake lower my temps, but now my system is virtually silent. I coupled the heatpipe cooler with a Vantec Stealth 90mm and now it rocks. Just a bit of extra work, but well worth it.

Well done on installing the cooler wrong. Your cooler fans should point at the psu and the
metal H-bar should be longer on one side then the other one atm. thats all because you installed it wrong :) You need to turn the H-bar 45degrees to the right :D

Biff said:
Milling Horseman and Corleonee,
I also have the Duramax AA8 and the Thermaltake Tower 112 and with a bit of grinding on one of the plates, this cooler can be installed with a bit of extra effort, but man is it worth it. You just have to grind two small halfmoon shapes so the capacitors can fit. I have a Lian Li PC65B case, Abit AA8 Duramax, 1 Gig Corsair XMS2 667, Seagate Baracuda 160 GB SATA and eVGA PCX 5750 and the setup simply rocks. Can't wait to add PCI-e 6800 Ultra and this baby will be complete. With Intel's stock HSF my system sounded like a dentist's drill under load with temps nearing 60C. Not only did this cooler from Thermaltake lower my temps, but now my system is virtually silent. I coupled the heatpipe cooler with a Vantec Stealth 90mm and now it rocks. Just a bit of extra work, but well worth it.

Biff, on the other hand:

If you find it's cooling well for you and caring for your cpu in that regard, after your clever modification. It's quiet as you like it. And fills your requirements for " rocking" your box. Well then why fix it if it ain't broken?

You used tools and your head and came-up with a solution that works for you. [H] :p

gl

And BTW it sounds as though you've got the tower's fans "blowing toward" your rear case exhausts. Is that correct? If that is so, it's a beautiful thing.

I wonder if tipping the case on its side so that the heatsink is vertical would help in heat dissipation. Would anyone wanna try it to quinch my curiosity?

chuckm1020 said:
this type of cooler works pretty good on my xps gen 3. my max load temp i have seen is 47C, and this is a hot running processor.
you have an Extreme Edition CPU, which doesn't run nearly as hot as the Prescott

hmm... i might have to try this again, if it's working so well. 2 quick Q's:

1) is the thing heavy enough to crush the CPU if it (the case) were transported? i mean, would i have to remove the thing every time i wanted to travel? just your own opinions on this, to the 3 of you that have it.

2) what did you use to gring the thing: a dremel? what other tools could be used to accomplish the grinding? because i'm not sure if i can get my hands on any given tool atm.

EnderW said:
you have an Extreme Edition CPU, which doesn't run nearly as hot as the Prescott
yah not nearly as hot, my processor is 109 watts and the presscott is 115watts.

milling_hordesman said:
hmm... i might have to try this again, if it's working so well. 2 quick Q's:

1) is the thing heavy enough to crush the CPU if it (the case) were transported? i mean, would i have to remove the thing every time i wanted to travel? just your own opinions on this, to the 3 of you that have it. If it is secure enough, no.
Just be careful when transporting, use the box your case came in if you still have it.
2) what did you use to gring the thing: a dremel? what other tools could be used to accomplish the grinding? because i'm not sure if i can get my hands on any given tool atm. A dremel should do fine if you have a bit that will grind this metal well enough.
First off, I did not install the cooler wrong, as Corleonee states above. If you look at the final pic under the LGA775 installation, that exactly how my cooler is situated. The fan on the cooler that is closest to the front of the case is pulling cool air from my intake fans, which then blows through the heatsink, and then hotass air is blown from the exhaust right out the back of the case. With the AA8, it did take some modification to one of the H bars via a bench grinder. Just trace onto the top H bar where the capacitors need to go with a sharpie and grind two small halfmoons with a grinder of some sort. Worked great for me. Since this cooler nears 3 lbs, make SURE the H bars are tight enough by fastening the nuts corner to corner and dab the bolts with Loctite when you can tell the Tower is pressed to the CPU tightly. Not too tight, though. Avoid any kind of motherboard flexion. You can tell when it is tight enough when it doesn't twist on the socket in the least. I agree with Papa Ming that this cooler is difficult to install and requires some patience. Cools better than stock cooler, and oh so quiet. The sound of silence from this thing is truly wonderful after hearing Intel's stock cooler during DOOM3. Damn thing got up above 4500 RPM! Now I can hear every sound I was intended to without headphones. :D

Back