A Closer Look at Windows Live

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We've all seen them and figure heh, Microsoft add ons, no thanks. Maybe time for another hard look at these apps and the price is always good....free. What most users don't know is Windows Live comes in two flavors....Downloadable Apps and Services. Check out the little known Skydrive, well worth the read.

It’s a free, 25-gigabyte virtual hard drive on the Internet, accessible from any computer. It’s a perfect intermediate parking place for files you want to shuttle from one computer to another. You can also use it for offsite backup of your most important files, or as a handy intermediary for sharing big folders with other people far away.

Been using Skydrive for a while now since my fileserver bought the farm. Good stuff.

mesh.com is really a great service too I do not know if it is technically part of windows live but being able to back up 5GB fully synchronized and unlimited synchronization of everything else has made managing my desktop, laptop and phone effortless. For free.

dropbox is king because of the "copy public link" feature. but 25gb would be nice just for my personal use... i could just then use dropbox for web pictures (nobody ever yells at me for hotlinking!)

I actually use WindowsLive quite a bit theres a number good qualities. The msn page is pretty good I love the games. It's got a new drawing feature so I can draw pictures back and forth with my wife when we get bored of typing.

skydrive is limited to 50megs per file.. what the hell is less than 50mb these days.. i guess for docs pics and music but i have no reason to put them on there.. i wanted to store a vm or something on there heh

live photo gallery and movie maker are fine applications, not the best and definitely less impressive than imovie and iphoto.

I do not understand how Apple can include applications with their OS and not get the same anti-trust issues as MS gets with including applications on their OS. W7 is the first OS since 3.1 to not have an email client installed.

Seems strange to me that there could be any issue with MS including any application they wanted IE, paint, office or movie maker

Back