A+ Certification. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Computers & Gadgets' started by FenFox, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:27 AM.

1. FenFox

FenFox [H]Lite

Wasn't really sure where else to post this topic.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good Ebook/Audiobook (study resource) recommendations for A+ material?

And beyond A+, do you guys have any other relevant material recommendations?

2. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

3. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

Best becareful with A+. Generally there are 2 types of shops. "Those that cant get a job on merit, get certified", for these shops A+ is a red flag. The other shops are "A+ is the bare min, now go make the coffee", these shops want A+ just to start so they can weed out the people they need to train to use a screw driver.

The best advise someone gave me was to get the job, then get certs. This shows continuing education. Plus now that its not the 1990's, you have to get recertified every few years.

4. FenFox

FenFox [H]Lite

Hard to "get the job" if one of the entry level requirements is a certification I don't have. How do you get around that?

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't fully follow your post.
    There was only one shop that would hire without A+ and they said they just issue you a test as part of the interview and if you pass you get the job.
    Not really sure how having A+ is seen as a bad thing?

If A+ sucks, then can you recommend a course or courses worth taking?

5. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

In my experince, A+ is not really a great certificate but it can be used to weed out ppl
    its kinda like a bottom line thing. if they have a+ at least they are not total morons. but someone without A+ can still be multiple times better than someone with it.

The reason I got my A+ myself was that none of my education papers really transfer to the states when I moved here. And its hard to get validate my resume since all the prior work places was in a country with the most ugly language ever.
    So to get some kind of minimum validation of my skill I took my A+
    To update it I took my networks+ 3 years later

now I'm currently looking into getting security+ but mostly because I got my boss to pay for it.

In short A+ is not a carrier maker. Its a bottom line verification.

FenFox likes this.
  6. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

The suite of Comptia Certs looks good for a helpdesk or entry IT type position to get your foot in the door without other real world IT experiences. I’d say pursue them. Read the Comptia books, go to a bootcamp class if necessary. Mike Meyers passport books are good reads. I took my security + cert years ago, and thought his passport book was very helpful. I even kept it around for a reference and loaned it to people for a few years. Perhaps the newest revisions are good as well.

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Passport-220-901-Certficiation/dp/1259589609

Comptia
    Security +, Network +, A+ All good base certs

FenFox likes this.
  7. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

I did mike meyers paid video class for networks+ didn't really give me anything that professor messer didn't for free.

8. FenFox

FenFox [H]Lite

Are jobs/careers in IT even worthwhile to pursue anymore? It has seemed that so many IT positions are shipped overseas - India/Philippines etc. Obviously stores need sales agents and computer technicians but beyond that, what are the chances that most people are going to be doing much more than that?

9. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

Its a very broad brush. If you flip it around, more things are connecting to the internet/network, not less. "code monkeys" can be replaced, remote management can be replaced, general pc repair is dead. ATM repair, gas pump repair, "the guy that installs the internet after an acquisition of a 10 person site", are in high demand. Even the local car washes around here are looking for people to plug network cables in and flash firmware updates. AKA if you can work from home your days are numbers, but if they give you your own van and a travel card, you are doing good.

But as others have alluded to, certs with no job history are at worst a red flag, and at best "the entrance exam". Its the same with passing the certified electronic technician(CET) exam.

10. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

what is the Certified Electronics technician exam ?
    maybe I should just google but i just opened a chocloe milk bottle and dove into a kala... kela... hot dog in a bread thingy. at my remote desktop server managament job

11. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes. It’s still a strong career choice. Specifically within IT, Audit and Information Security are very strong and typically will need boots on the ground in any company, boots that will not be able to be completely outsourced.

12. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

http://www.iscet.org/certification/exams.html

As for your remote management job, what is "desktop server management" and what got you into the door?

Is this like the shop down the street that we pay to handle the the server rack, and they pop in a remote controlled power switch, a dedicated phone line, and handle all server and connectivity issues? Or is this more of a data center 100+ servers in a room where you have to where a bunny suite to not get killed, and clouds and weather can form?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 11:36 AM
  13. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

14. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

been doing this for 20 years and just now started having issues with not having any certs. everyone is hung up on certs over experience, its a royal pita!
    I got the CompTIA ITF cert, was told it was good enough, now its not, so slowly doing the rest for A+. that's seems to be the min to even get a foot in the door anywhere now. and anyone that's knows, knows that A+ is totally BS anyways...

15. jevans64

jevans64 Gawd

A+ is for folks that don't know jack about computers. It IS a joke but just about every tech firm uses it as a baseline for hiring. Last time I took the test in the mid-2000s it literally had questions about hardware and processes that went out of use in the early 1990s. Maybe CompTIA is keeping up with technology these days but that wasn't the case 15 years ago. Anyone that has their hands into it on a daily basis and keeps up with advancements will know more than anyone will ever know with just a certification.

16. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

well the "IT fundamentals" part I did was at least 3-4 years out of date...

17. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

First IT job i applied for was an in person interview. First question they asked what L-A-N stood for. I failed because i hesitated for a few seconds... Like this is an IT job right? Its like interviewing a trucker and asking what the third pushy thing with your foot does.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  18. IceDigger

IceDigger [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't know what half of you guys are smoking but I'm making 6 figures just doing break/fix for pc's and mac work. I actually have too much work!

If you show up on time or before time, don't sugarcoat things, get shit done, and don't try and sell the cheapest shit because its cheap, your gold.

People will pay out the wazoo for quality work.

I have add, dyslexia, and stutter sometimes, yet I don't complain about it.

There is a ton of work out there and I don't have any certs or degrees.

Be your own boss and enjoy! Don't look for a J-O-B!

19. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

You can make six figures washing cars in the right area...

if you can get $75 an hour for 40 hours a week consistently go for it. I know a few dog groomers that make a dollar a minute. I also know a guy who brags about driving a coal truck along a train at $150 an hour, but he only grosses 30k a year...