A California Company Believes It Has Invented a Viable Marijuana Breathalyzer

wtih "weed" it should not matter if they are high AF, are the "safe" driving, i.e not all over the road, above or below the speed limit etc, that is what should matter, cause the fact of the matter is, it is the "officer" in question who has to make the initial call of safe to drive, or not safe to drive.

This device would not in a million years take into account (cannot) if the individual has never used it before, or has been consuming it for 1-5-10-50 years (becoming immune to its effects quite quickly if a heavy user unlike Alcohol which is nigh on impossible to become immune to)

If you can drive, safely, are in care and control of the vehicle at all times (not doing stupid things) that is what should matter, a standard roadside sobriety test should be "good enough" cause the fact is, tests fail especially from untrained individuals, most especially on a substance no standard testing can say without a shadow of a doubt the substance in question is "altering" the drivers reaction/anticipation times and has saturated their blood/body tissues by X amount over the course of X time (immunization)

Folks who know shit about the substance making laws governing those who want/will use the substance, and yet, we do not DUI test those making the laws, go figure.

FTA

Hound Labs also wants to market the product to marijuana consumers.

I can see it now..

DUDE.. im more stoned then you..

no way man..

*pulls out device*

lets see who is more stoned!

FTA

I can see it now..

DUDE.. im more stoned then you..

no way man..

*pulls out device*

lets see who is more stoned!

Also can't wait for someone to market "the strongest weed ever proven by Hound Labs devices"

I'm a fuckton more dangerous on the highway sober than I am high.

That's a fact.

Then you shouldn't drive. Period.

Same with me bro, I would never attempt to ride a bike without having smoked some pot. It saved my life and possibly that of others as well. The few times I did not smoke but chased my Springer around, oh boy, I took my brothers Springer with Edelbrock heads, screamed it up to god knows what rpm, 2nd gear, speed wheelie again and zooom.

I have never done such stupid stuff sober, ahem, with pot I mean.

Yeah, the truth is hard to take. It's even harder to take if you know that people who have it on perscription are allowed to drive, they by definition dont seem to be a problem...ahhh...yeah...they got a tiny wheel in the big clockwork, lettem drive, catch the others, they are by definitions BAD ones, tho they may have smoked the same joint. This really kills any contra-arguement. As it only seems to count if you are "not welcome" by definition, not by facts.

You have to be high to spew so much bullshit.

Or suffer from withdrawal when not consuming pot so that you drive better while high.

Makes no sens otherwise.

Hopefully this can be proven to work well enough it is effective on most people.

Every person I know who has gotten a DUI has said they were fine to drive as well. Interesting they got caught breaking some law that caused the DUI.

Whether one person is far better or worse on or off of it doesn’t matter. You should be sober when driving. If your far worse when you’re sober then give up driving.

The whole putting everyone else has in danger because you believe your impairment is not a problem is just plain stupidity.

Again I hope this device can be proven to work.

This is something I never understood. Makes no sense that police can't stop you any time for any reason and that they need to find a stupid reason to make you a DUI test.

Face it, the "pot smokers are bad" is for the bigger part in todays view a leftover from the cold war, when pot smoking people were seen as pro-ussr, contra capitalism, disobeying christianity and what not else. The brainwash really worked I have to admit. It followed right after the cotton protection coup to ban hemp for cotton.

I honestly yet have to find a car crash or accident amonmg my friends and family, no, there are none, but I can name a few that cant drive, sober or stoned, drunk or not. Some should take the bus instead and despite they are allowed to drive.

By what rule do we judge, true capability or by the polit-office book ?

Question, do they force you to take a drug-test after every accident in your country? They did here and... surprise, many people are found to be high.

tell me that you have never smoked and thus disqualify yourself from the judgement, as THC is unlike Alcohol.

tell me that you only smoke on rare occasions and always feel real heavy n stoned, thats OK, I wouldnt drive in that constitution as well, as you can still think sober when high, unlike alcohol. YOu would take the couch and not the car key when stoned. There is big difference.

so, my question, based on what experience and wisdom do you dare to judge over others ?

..and btw, the Police will always find a reason why they pulled you over and "think" that you need to give you a drug test. They are real innovative in this regard, anywhere, any nation.

As I said, make a law that allows you to smoke and drive a car 4-6h later with confidence. Everybody can agree with that, for the sake of all concerns. Just dont rule out the driving capability of pot smokers by definition as done in my nation.

Here, you smoke tonight 1 joint..and 3 weeks later they stop you. Police will not fine you as you have zero active but the lab test will also go to the driving license office, and they will take it away for the smallest inactive value. If there is any,

you walk ! That is a rip off.

If one drives more relaxed when having consumed, yeah, why not. I have never had a problem with that when I stayed in limits. Sure, having smoked a gram of self made ice hash and driving is not a good idea. The new law would cover that, which is ok with me.

You know, you can take cocain and amphetamine, that is 100% gone in your blood after a few days and they cant do you anything withz the field test they have. Sure, the lab would find it, but it never gets that far with those guys.
That is too complicated for them to follow after, pot smokers are sooo much easier to catch.

No, on countries with more rational laws cops don't need a stupid reason to stop you. They do. And they force you to take the DUI. Simple and better for everybody.

Also, what you ask for makes 0 sense. Unfortunately, any objective tests that they do will be about how much substance you have on your body. Calculating the effects that you are suffering is impossible.

The real problem is that marijuana affect people differently. The same amount of THC can have two very different reactions in two people. One person might get VERY VERY strong reaction while the other might just have a mild buzz. It's not clear cut like alcohol is.

Yes, it is as clear cut as alcohol is.

The more alcohol you take the less it affects you. And not two people are affected the same while under the same amount of alcohol consumed. Same with pot or other drugs.

I would almost prefer haveing a test to see if your capable of driving no matter what you're on. test driving ability and take the license from everyone incapable of driving, whether that means your intoxicated, on a drug, too old, impaired in some other way, or just suck at driving. If you can drive and react to situations better then the average person can I literally could care less what your on.

And how the fuck you do that?

Also can't wait for someone to market "the strongest weed ever proven by Hound Labs devices"

and it will be in stores so you can test it first hand too no doubt.

wonder which market will be bigger.. law enforcement or the consumer lets see how high we are market

Prava, you cannot suffer "withdrawal from not consuming pot" as pot doesn't generate biological addiction, unlike for example simple coffee.

Then you shouldn't drive. Period.

You have to be high to spew so much bullshit.

Or suffer from withdrawal when not consuming pot so that you drive better while high.

Makes no sens otherwise.

This is something I never understood. Makes no sense that police can't stop you any time for any reason and that they need to find a stupid reason to make you a DUI test.

Question, do they force you to take a drug-test after every accident in your country? They did here and... surprise, many people are found to be high.

No, on countries with more rational laws cops don't need a stupid reason to stop you. They do. And they force you to take the DUI. Simple and better for everybody.

Also, what you ask for makes 0 sense. Unfortunately, any objective tests that they do will be about how much substance you have on your body. Calculating the effects that you are suffering is impossible.

Yes, it is as clear cut as alcohol is.

The more alcohol you take the less it affects you. And not two people are affected the same while under the same amount of alcohol consumed. Same with pot or other drugs.

And how the fuck you do that?

my local pd has a trailer with a driving simulater they love to bring around to local high schools. build a few more of those and put a program that tests the users and ya good.

Prava, you cannot suffer "withdrawal from not consuming pot" as pot doesn't generate biological addiction, unlike for example simple coffee.
Tell that to all the burn outs that I knew growing up that cant go a day with out it. Might not be a physical addiction but a mental one.

Lol. I'm high right now (it's decriminalized where I am right now) and even I think that driving stoned is a fucking stupid idea.

ANY preventable bullshit should be prevented when it comes to driving. Period. That goes for painkillers to fucking immodium if it affects you. Double that when your loved ones are driving.

Hopefully this shows blood concentrations somehow, and not metabolite concentrations at all. That shit is equally BS.
My response was more in relation to the hysteria that Pot is this evil dangerous drug. I haven't smoked in a long time and if I do now I lose it... but it doesn't lower my inhibition and make me think I can drive; a large difference from alcohol and opiates.

BTW last time I got high was in Amsterdam and ate a Space Cake. No Joke I was pacing my hotel room with a bag of European Doritos (not the same) and left a Hansel and Gretel trail of crumbs. My wife had it hit and immediately went to bed so I was left to my own defenses, luckily late night Dutch TV is amazing.

Not wanting people to drive under the influence is "believing the [the reefer madness] propaganda"?

Good lord some days the Internet makes me weep.
No it's the fact that the anti-pot crowd acts like a hit of weed is going to make you go insane (aka reefer madness). If that's then a sip of Alcohol is DUI as well. There is no good way to judge the toxicology of pot like there is for alcohol right now.

Trying to find technical info on the device. Anyone find anything besides PR crap? One news station reported it as needing to detect THC in parts per trillion on your breath. I see tons of false positives coming from this.... which hurts the user but is bonus bonus bonus for the money making machine OR if the variance is set really low to avoid false positives, no detections ever... which also doesn't help anyone.

And let's face it. Legislators and law enforcement don't actually care to see the technical merit nor the scientific evidence nor the proven correlation. They just want a "breathalyzer for weed like there is for alcohol" so they can check off the box that says, "yup, followed procedure and wrote a law just like we did for alcohol dui. done."

There is no reason a person should be driving while high. Period.
Sure it is your right to get high, but it is NOT your right to put others on the road in danger.
If there is not a good baseline for impairment for MJ then maybe a field sobriety test would be more appropriate.

Actually, it does. Consumption of cannabis increases dopamine levels in the brain. Regular usage of marijuana promotes decreased naturally ocurring dopamine levels thus creating a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I understand people not wanting dangerous people driving on the road with them, but I think the people driving under the influence of Marijuana are near the bottom of that danger scale.

Also, seems like people are relating smoking weed to alcohol, which is quite far from the truth for just about anyone that has used both substances (not including those with severe reactions which can be a problem with ANY drug, legal or not). This is also not to mention prescription drugs, which are commonly abused despite Dr. warnings, warning labels on bottles, and strict dosage/usage instructions. Seems naive to think that just because proper instruction is given that everyone is actually reading and abiding by them as instructed.

People texting and driving are WAY more dangerous than those that smoke some weed before heading out on the road.

This is only a thing right now because CA is legalizing it for recreational use (effective as of January 1, 2018) and it needs a way to establish control over the substance. They currently have to get a warrant from a judge before testing you (taking between 2-4 hrs here currently), and often you will "come down" before they can get a positive on a test due to time limitations of Marijuana's effect. It is too quick to dissipate and necessitates new technologies to detect THC levels much quicker, and thus this product.

It would be much safer for everyone if you could get a DUI for texting and driving than for smoking a driving (personal opinion based on my anecdotal experience on the road). And all statistics I have read on cellphone usage while driving has shown large numbers of fatal and injury accidents. Because of the ubiquity of cellphones, large numbers of people are endangering the rest of us on the road every day from driving while using their cellphone. I would almost go so far as to say, without actual evidence, more people use cellphones dangerously on the road every day, endangering you and your family's life, than all of the driving weed smokers.

The magic of life and politics is misdirection.

Glad we can go after those pot smoking hippies though, cause they are such a problem...

I understand people not wanting dangerous people driving on the road with them, but I think the people driving under the influence of Marijuana are near the bottom of that danger scale.

Also, seems like people are relating smoking weed to alcohol, which is quite far from the truth for just about anyone that has used both substances (not including those with severe reactions which can be a problem with ANY drug, legal or not). This is also not to mention prescription drugs, which are commonly abused despite Dr. warnings, warning labels on bottles, and strict dosage/usage instructions. Seems naive to think that just because proper instruction is given that everyone is actually reading and abiding by them as instructed.

People texting and driving are WAY more dangerous than those that smoke some weed before heading out on the road.

This is only a thing right now because CA is legalizing it for recreational use (effective as of January 1, 2018) and it needs a way to establish control over the substance. They currently have to get a warrant from a judge before testing you (taking between 2-4 hrs here currently), and often you will "come down" before they can get a positive on a test due to time limitations of Marijuana's effect. It is too quick to dissipate and necessitates new technologies to detect THC levels much quicker, and thus this product.

It would be much safer for everyone if you could get a DUI for texting and driving than for smoking a driving (personal opinion based on my anecdotal experience on the road). And all statistics I have read on cellphone usage while driving has shown large numbers of fatal and injury accidents. Because of the ubiquity of cellphones, large numbers of people are endangering the rest of us on the road every day from driving while using their cellphone. I would almost go so far as to say, without actual evidence, more people use cellphones dangerously on the road every day, endangering you and your family's life, than all of the driving weed smokers.

Glad we can go after those pot smoking hippies though, cause they are such a problem...

On the bottom of the danger scale is quite a crass statement. Remember impairment operating a 2-5k pound vehicle. It doesn’t take much.

Perhaps people are relating this to alcohol because the term breathalyzer in it. Whether it’s alcohol, pot, prescription drugs impaired is still impaired and a danger on the road. Prescriptions drugs have been caught under DUI as well. So while you mention it to us it does have an avenue of enforcement.

Many states are cracking down on texting as well as electronic use. For example Washington state just passed a law for driving under the influence of electronics. Though a secondary offense it comes with some steep penalties. Not just texting but having a phone (electronics) in your hand behind the wheel. Not to mention 3 in convictions in ten years is very harsh (felony I believe). And while they passed that law they tacked on with it such things as coffee cups etc.

Again these are all taken care of by laws. Just because you feel something is worse than something else doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be limitations on it.

Actually, it does. Consumption of cannabis increases dopamine levels in the brain. Regular usage of marijuana promotes decreased naturally ocurring dopamine levels thus creating a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Please put out the peer reviewed paper/research.
Btw that dopamine effect wouldn't be a phisiological addiction with withdrawals, unlike again coffee and other drugs.

Psychological addiction is a different thing and yes a lot of subjects can become addicted to just about anything, again as a regular example it would be ludopathy, addiction to gambling.

Please put out the peer reviewed paper/research.
Btw that dopamine effect wouldn't be a phisiological addiction with withdrawals, unlike again coffee and other drugs.

Psychological addiction is a different thing and yes a lot of subjects can become addicted to just about anything, again as a regular example it would be ludopathy, addiction to gambling.

I don't think anyone is saying there are more than minor withdrawal affects with cessation of MJ usage... Perhaps slight loss of appetite, and difficulties sleeping... Along with losses of motivation for the heavy, daily users. Of course, there are certainly cessation effects for medical users, such as increased pain, increased pain perception, idiopathic pain, vision/hearing disturbances etc, all which come from cessation. There's withdrawal, physical withdrawal, for a few days, for most users. These are minor disturbances, and wholly unlike cessation of opiates - or worse - benzodiazepines, alcohol or GABAergic drugs - which can kill you from DT type symptoms.

Dopamine disturbance IS precisely a physical withdrawal typology. The same way cessation of opiates causes massive rebound of norepinephrine, and cessation of benzodiazepines causes massive underproduction of functioning GABA receptor sites leading to, at best agitation and at worst, death. Dopamine agonist withdrawal causes subjects a whole host of issues including dysphoria, anxiety, loss of motivation, depression, dysthymia and even hypomania in certain subjects. These mental affects may not be physical directly, but in proxy can lead to additional physical affects, like dopamine seeking behaviors, absenteeism, etc... And the loss of sleep and appetite compound this.

There is a distinct psychological component to cessation of marijuana. I've seen it in so many users - myself included, after a lengthy period of daily consumption.

If you want peer review on MJ and dopamine, search google for "Marijuana dopamine agonist" and you'll find many, many sources. I don't get the blind love for MJ. It's almost a freaking fanatical following. Marijuana is a drug, as is alcohol, nicotine and as you stated caffeine. Blindly turning away from this fact is counter intuitive. I just don't understand this line of thinking.

There isn't physical addiction but you do suffer the withdrawal effects when you quite smoking. Your temper goes to shit and so does your mood.

Heavy pot users live in a different world than non-pot users do. Which is why the started smoking in the first place. To see things "different". And once those blinds are thrown out... you need some time to adjust.

You are the one spewing bs. It's not clear cut and it has zero equivalenance to alcohol. Eat my ignore you ignorant idiot.

It is clear cut.

Pot affects the way you perceive things. It simply does. Thus why it is unsafe to drive high.

How dangerous is a beer? For most people it isn't, just as for most people a joint isn't dangerous. But law isn't about you or me or your neighbours. They need a clear regulation that anybody can abide no matter who you are or where you are from. That simple.

All in all, and no matter how much you deny it, pot affects your perception. And not in a good way.

BTW: you got reported.

Jeez christ so much bullshit for such a simple test.

"Hey, you gotta take this drug test"
"Why?"
"Cause you look high. Open your mouth
(officer uses a mouth swab)

Done deal.

And yes, recreational drugs here are completely legal. Every single one of those. And even if you are caught with drugs on the street you will get a simple fine up to $600 and nothing else. You won't even go to court.

But still, if you are driving you can be stopped at any time and your car or youself can be searched and you can be asked to take a DUI test. Be it breathalyzer or mouth swab. Or both.

wtih "weed" it should not matter if they are high AF, are the "safe" driving, i.e not all over the road, above or below the speed limit etc, that is what should matter, cause the fact of the matter is, it is the "officer" in question who has to make the initial call of safe to drive, or not safe to drive.

This device would not in a million years take into account (cannot) if the individual has never used it before, or has been consuming it for 1-5-10-50 years (becoming immune to its effects quite quickly if a heavy user unlike Alcohol which is nigh on impossible to become immune to)

If you can drive, safely, are in care and control of the vehicle at all times (not doing stupid things) that is what should matter, a standard roadside sobriety test should be "good enough" cause the fact is, tests fail especially from untrained individuals, most especially on a substance no standard testing can say without a shadow of a doubt the substance in question is "altering" the drivers reaction/anticipation times and has saturated their blood/body tissues by X amount over the course of X time (immunization)

Folks who know shit about the substance making laws governing those who want/will use the substance, and yet, we do not DUI test those making the laws, go figure.
Hell I'd rather take my chances with the device than with a dui whisperer.

http://www.11alive.com/article/news...-arrested-while-stone-cold-sober/85-437061710

Reactions: TMCM
like this
Wait isn't marijuana legal in Cali? Whats the point?
if you have a prescription it is but driving while impaired by it is not it is treated like alcohol as it should be... after this story i got from the housekeeper at the motel i work at i say ban it fully or at least treat it like alcohol cause DAMN

Fuck these guys and their invention.

It should not be a crime to be driving while high.

Make sure it works for prescription medication also while you are at it. /s

Why not? I am have plenty of people who are pretty retarded from smoking weed...

LoL,

I am laughing my ass off about those statements from Pot-Experts that have atually never smoked good clean pot... your expertise is worth shit.

They will need to ramp this up fast. Because the clock is running against them.

First tons of movements from states to legalize weed making it far less serious of a crime. 2 Autonomous vehicles are coming down the line and soon the whole concept of a DUI is probably going to be come almost a non issue.

TBH i do not know anyone that is a frequent/constant user of cannabis, instead only knowing casual users, but all the literature that i had found pointed to it not being physiologically addicting, now seeing the way it can psychologically present itself as explained by the American Psychistrist Association was interesting all around. I guess that the brain got used to the nerve numbing and other effects and once cut off tries to resist the change and "go back to normal", this makes entire sense.

So much dumbassery in this thread.

You're a better driver stoned than you are when you're sober? Then you're a shitty driver.

The problem isn't X, the problem is Y! Hey, ever think that MAYBE we have more than one problem and both X AND Y need to be addressed? Ex: Speeding, distracted driving, poorly maintained vehicles, or any kind of impaired driving.

If you're impaired, you're a problem. Not because of your fuck'n 'freedom' but because you are putting everyone else on the road at risk.

BTW, I'm pro-marijuana legalization. It's no worse than, and sometimes better than alcohol. And they can both fuck you up and if you use, so you need to be responsible. Getting high and hopping into a multi-thousand pound vehicle is not responsible. It's reckless.

Reefer madness my ass... some of you assholes have some real straw-men to chase.
The issue is when does a person become impaired after consumption.
With alcohol we have a limit. Marijuana should have something similar.
Because someone who may have eaten a cookie yesterday, might give a false positive on this device later when they are sober.

There should be a stupid test. Test how stupid the stoned driver looks after he is pulled over. That's how you can tell if someone is a pothead. They just look stupid.

They tested that in Florida. Turns out stupid and stoned are two different things.

Back