A build for Streaming Hi Definition Gaming

The Realyst

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I haven't seen anyone posting up about a build for a computer that will be doing Hi Definition console game streaming (or streaming at all for that matter). I've tried streaming with my current computer which is about 3 years old. If I really lower the quality of the stream, it runs smooth, but of course it looks bad. If I up the quality at all, it drops frames... and a lot of them. Also, the cpu usage shoots up to 90-95%. So I guess it's time for a new build..., but I've only had this build for 3 years! Anyway, here's what i'm looking at getting.

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

Thats basically the important stuff. The hard drives and everything else that I have in this computer I will put in the new rig. Also, it is important to note that I am streaming with a Black Magic Intensity Pro Capture Card. (This is why I'm deciding to not upgrade my video card. All the video will be going through the Black Magic, so I don't see a reason for it... If I'm wrong... PLEASE let me know.) I think the combination of using that card and streaming together is what my current CPU (Q6600 Kentfield Quad Core 2.40 Ghz) can not handle seem to handle.

I'm not rich, but I do have a little wiggle room with how much i can spend. I'm looking to stream in AT LEAST this quality. I've tried contacting people that are streaming at this high quality and no one has gotten back to me. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just to give more info, I'll answer the stickied questions also.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
A little gaming, but not too much. Mainly to HOST high definition streams.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Roughly $700, but a little flexible. Only expecting to replace CPU, Mobo and RAM. Video Card too if it will help with the streaming.

3) Where do you live?
New Haven, CT

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Only expecting to replace CPU, Mobo and RAM. Video Card too if it will help with the streaming.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Hard Drive, Black Magic Intensitiy Pro Capture Card, Case and Power Supply which is currently a 550W Corsair CMPSU-550VX.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
17inch wide screen right now. Will be going to 23 inch in the near future.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
All of the above aside from Onboard video

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. I will be using Windows 7 64 bit pro edition.

Thanks again.

Could you be more specific on the hard drives that you're reusing?

And what did you use for the GPU in your old build? (With the X58 board, you'll need a video card. Do you use any software that is optimized for either Nvidia or AMD/ATI cards?)

How old is the Corsair VX550?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150252

That is pretty much the video card I have now. Since it's 3 years old, I will say that I do not have software that is optimized for Nvidia cards.The hard drives I am reusing are relatively new. Maybe 3 or 4 months old. One is a 1TB WD Green Drive I just use for storage since it's only 5400rpms. Then I have another drive that I just use for my OS and program installs. Then I have a 3rd drive that I only use when capturing videos with the Black Magic Card. Power supply is 3 years old just like pretty much most of my computer. Hope this helps!

EDIT:

Here are my hard drives.

Samsung HD502HJ
ST3250823NS
WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0

If you haven't already, use the Samsung HD502HJ as your primary/OS drive.

I recommend buying a cheap DirectX 10/11-capable card like the HD 5450.

The Samsung is my OS drive.

I found the issue. The program I was using (Adobe Flash Media Encoder) is a huge resource hog. That's what had my cpu running at 99%. I asked around and was told that with a quad core, I should be able to stream no problem. I switched to Wirecast and its much better. CPU usage only goes up to 65% and I get awesome quality. No need to upgrade at this time. :)

Back