A Big Reason for tearing on LCD in games

R0achTheWarHero

Limp Gawd
Is mouse settings.

Test it sometime.

It's most noticeable if you have an actual gaming mouse that has sliders for sensitivity and sliders for acceleration instead of just a checkbox for acceleration.

The easiest way to fix the problem is get mouse feet and a mouse pad with the lowest amount of friction possible then change mouse settings from there. The lowest friction mouse by default that I've seen is the Razer Deathadder and the Logitech G5 but the G5 laser blows.

Mice with the highest friction (ie : bad), basically every logitech except the g5/g7/mx revolution / vx revolution / g3.

Razer diamondback's are OK for friction but not nearly as good as Deathadder mouse feet.

I use the G7 with the Icemat, and I put the little feet that it comes with on it, windex the icemat and clean the feet with a little bit of woodcleaner every so often, and it makes them slick as hell and it just glides on the pad

also, is there a way you can show me an example of game tearing, ive never noticed it. have no idea what it even is

How coincidental, I just got off of the phone with Logitech and they told me R0achTheWarHero was the biggest reason for not reading LCD forum.

They seem truly informed.

I noticed the vsync tearing being related to mouse settings after using a razer diamonback (my mouse of choice) and a new, hard surface, textured mousepad. Eventually the mouse feet and mousepad both wore out and the mouse "glide" became crappy and I noticed massive vsync tearing. After changing out both the tearing is gone. Only problem is razer mouse feet wear out after like a week of use.

Well, some ppl might be incapable of adjusting the mouse speed without specialized features, and lacking mousepad hygiene will lead to a bumpy surface.. that coupled with serious physical (and mental) handicap could possibly lead to movements that make tearing harder or easier to spot depending on the used input device..

But seriously the mouse causing tearing is digested grass, but the influence of mouse movement to its visibility sounds quite plausible as jagged movement will lead to a stronger difference between frames.

But seriously the mouse causing tearing is digested grass, but the influence of mouse movement to its visibility sounds quite plausible as jagged movement will lead to a stronger difference between frames.

It's not very hard to test, the more smooth your mouse movement is, the less vsync tearing you will have. It seems way more noticeable when using a high DPI gaming mouse with many adjustable settings. Even if your mouse movement is perfectly smooth, certain settings can still cause massive vsync tearing. A lot of it has to do with LCD only operating at 60hz. Yea 60fps looks relatively smooth with a static camera, but if you are moving the camera yourself, the rotation that you input may require more than 60 updates a second to appear smooth. If it requires more frames than 60 updates a second to display your rotation there is no interpolation that occurs to create a middle frame since you're locked at 60 so it probably creates vsync tearing.

If your mouse settings are set to very fast then it probably prevents needing more than 60 updates a second to display your camera rotations and less or no vsync tearing occurs.

Serioulsy, a mouse? I'm paranoid now. BTW, I've been wondering about this for a while, my 20WMGX2 sometimes exhibits tearing right int he middle of the screen when I'm playing 60fps games, ones that don't have tearing problems, and turning the monitor off then on fixes this. Anybody knows exactly what happens? :p

a huge dick can cause tearing as well

LOL! :D

What if I'm using the keyboard to move around?

The input device has nothing to do with tearing. It's all in the video subsystem specifically the timing between when the framebuffer's being updated and when the framebuffer is being pushed to the LCD. And by the way, CRT's can tear too, it just that at the lower refreshes rates that tearing is noticeable flicker is more of an annoyance.

For tearing to be noticeable, there has to be a large enough difference between one frame and the next. That's why is seems that mouse sensitivity and tearing a linked. The more motion a mouse creates, the bigger difference between frames will exist and tearing will more likely be noticed. The less motion the less tearing is noticeable. But it still happens.

Changes to input settings only changes how the system interprets the mouse's movements and thus the way frames are rendered and pushed to the framebuffer.

I have used ALL the razer mice and the results have always been the same.
Sure you can CUT DOWN on the tearing by setting the sensitivity lower but who wants to move the mouse 5 times across the pad just to move 6 inches on the screen?

This thread is POINTLESS IMO because it resolves nothing and everyone knows that if your FPS is anything over 60 on an LCD you're going to get tearing no matter what you do.:)

I have used ALL the razer mice and the results have always been the same.
Sure you can CUT DOWN on the tearing by setting the sensitivity lower but who wants to move the mouse 5 times across the pad just to move 6 inches on the screen?

This thread is POINTLESS IMO because it resolves nothing and everyone knows that if your FPS is anything over 60 on an LCD you're going to get tearing no matter what you do.:)

No thats completely false.

I get 0 tearing in Day of Defeat Source with 120fps @ 1920x1200 on a 245bw but only after tweaking mouse settings, gaming surface, and mouse for hours. Then as soon as the mousing surface or mouse feet wear down everything goes to hell.

No thats completely false.

I get 0 tearing in Day of Defeat Source with 120fps @ 1920x1200 on a 245bw but only after tweaking mouse settings, gaming surface, and mouse for hours. Then as soon as the mousing surface or mouse feet wear down everything goes to hell.

No, you're just reducing the amount tearing that you notice by tweaking things but it's still there.. Jerky mouse movement means larger frame to frame differences and thus you're more able to notice the tearing.

Another thing, at 120fps there would be no tearing to begin with since 120 is a whole multiple of 60 and there would be no mid screen framebuffer updates. You need to go back and learn what tearing is.

Another thing, at 120fps there would be no tearing to begin with since 120 is a whole multiple of 60 and there would be no mid screen framebuffer updates. You need to go back and learn what tearing is.
I was under the impression that if v-sync is off, it's still possible for the framebuffer to be out of sync with the monitor, regardless of whether the framerate is a perfect multiple of the refresh rate. It's just that the amount that it is off is the same each time (e.g. the framebuffer could be exactly half-updated every time the image is pushed to the monitor). To the best of my knowledge, locking the framerate at a multiple of 60 is still not the same as turning on v-sync.

In any case, though, I agree with everything else you've said.

Back