A * beside my 2nd CPU

musicman_ace

Limp Gawd
I just bought my first dual processor system and it boots fine. My question is this:
Why does CPU1 have an asterisk beside it? Is this normal?

My board is an asus A7v266-d with two Athlon XPs modded to MP processors. I can't find anything on Asus's website or in the motherboard manual about an Asterisk being on the POST screen. I really don't want to have this thing running if something is wrong, so if anyone could help me it would be appreiciated.

THE ANSWER:
It denotes the CPU that the computer boots from

That means its special :)

p.s. I don't think there's anything to worry about. I'd install windows and run a couple diagnostic programs (like cpu-z or wcpuid) to make sure everything's running as it should, as it probably will be.

Do you see two CPU's in task manager? Have you run CPU-Z in Windows? What does it tell you? It will tell you if you've got two CPU's functioning or not.

I loaded gentoo linux on the machine. Using the program TOP, it shows that there are processes using both CPUs. I was wondering if it was sort of a warning message.

musicman_ace said:
I loaded gentoo linux on the machine. Using the program TOP, it shows that there are processes using both CPUs. I was wondering if it was sort of a warning message.

when in doubt, check /var/log :-D
If anything it will probably show up in the kernel errors and/or warning logs. Is the CPU 1 a different stepping possibly?

Both were the same stepping, however one was green and the other was brown. I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I'll check the logs when I get home today.
Since I haven't started configuring it because I wanted to know what was going on, I can load windows 2000 server and load those programs. Does anyone have links to them?

There's no need to subject yourself to Windows just to do some diagnostics. If you're seeing processes on both of the CPU, then I wouldn't worry about it. The simplest thing would be to use "top" and then hit "1", which changes the top CPU view at the top of the applciation from aggregate to individual for the CPUs. You can also check /proc/cpuinfo to find out more information. Just cat it.

Back