A 3.4 gig P4 socket 478 that is not Prescott or EE?

mentok1982

Supreme [H]ardness
Does such a processor exist?

Looking around on Pricewatch and Newegg suggests no.

Prescotts are not great when it comes to overclocking but it looks like I have no choice, unless the 3.2 gig Northwood will overclock higher than a 3.4 gig Prescott? (Raised voice at end of sentence)

Here is the deal, I am looking for the fastest (after Zalman overclocking) socket 478 P4 that will not cost me over $500.00..
There that is much clearer I think! :D

I dont fully understand your question, but if you are asking if 3.4 Northwoods exist, they do. I have one in mine right now. Stays alot cooler. At scok speed it is ~80F. So far on air I have OCed it to 3.8ghz. I was afraid to go past that. For now though I am running at a 100mhz OC.

Heres one for example, if you want to buy one I dont know if this site is to be considered trusted.

Linkage

They are hard as hell to find though, and if you do find one (outside of ebay) they usually run in the $400 USD range.

They exist. I've got one.

I was too scared of the heat generated by the Prescott processors and didn't want to spend the money on a 3.4EE (same money buys an FX-55).

I love my 3.4c!

It runs cool, OCs really well too. I've gotten mine to 3.85 on my water setup. With better water, phase change, or low ambient temps, much higher speeds are possible. I've had mine up to 4.19 (stable enought o run 3dmark05) and I've been able to get it to post up to 4.25 on (low ambient) water.

I'm going to be getting a better water setup this week (because my koolance is overloaded with CPU and GPU duties) and will see if I can hit 4.0ghz on water under normal conditions.

The only downside? These babies are hard to find. I'm so glad I bought one when I did.

just get a 3.2C and spend the extra money on a good HSF like the XP-90
a lot easier to find and it's only 200MHz lower which can easily be made up OCing

Prescotts apparently start catching up to Northwoods in terms of speed ~3.5ghz, so seeing as your buying a 3.4 and seem to want to overclock a prescott would actually make more sense.

I have a prescott myself and it currently does 250x14 = 3500mhz on Air Cooling stable.

No complaints with the pressys at all. Although they may be hot, a good HSF or Watercooling will keep them nice and cool. My Coolermaster Hyper 6 keeps it under 52c under any load.

BigTaf said:
Prescotts apparently start catching up to Northwoods in terms of speed ~3.5ghz, so seeing as your buying a 3.4 and seem to want to overclock a prescott would actually make more sense.

I have a prescott myself and it currently does 250x14 = 3500mhz on Air Cooling stable.

No complaints with the pressys at all. Although they may be hot, a good HSF or Watercooling will keep them nice and cool. My Coolermaster Hyper 6 keeps it under 52c under any load.

good advice since the 3.4E costs about the same as the 3.2C
and the performance increase is minimal, but for the same price, why not?
and like I said earlier, spend the extra money on cooling

Thatonen00b said:
my pressy runs cool and I haven't even begun to try and OC

Well according to your sig:

Thatonen00b said:
-570 ES @ 4.35 (256x17) On air 41c idle

Your prescott idles at 41c? My 3.4 northwood runs at 41c under load!

And what is this about not trying to OC it yet? Your sig shows that you have OCed it to 4.35

yeh, I have a 478 Northwood 3.2C ghz. they stopped making them though and replaced them with 478 prescott chips, so they will be hard to find.

I'd advise checking out the new pentium 6x0 line (LGA 775) that should be out soon with 2mb cache.

3.4 Northwood I belive is still one of the top 5 processors at the moment, due to its great oc potential + the fact that it runs faster than Prescot mhz 4 mhz + it's a lot cooler

from what i remember from certain reviews, after 3.4ghz, Prescott chips start to pull ahead of their Northwood counterparts.

Back