A 266 Pentium II or a Celeron 333?

elm669

2[H]4U
Which would be faster? A PII klamath core 266mhz or a mendicino core Celeron 333mhz? both are slot1

Probably the PII, didn't the Celery at the time have no cache? THen again, there was the time where the Celeries were faster than the pentiums. Hmm... I'd take the Celery anyway... I hear those were gems at overclocking.

It will be my second computer for internet surfing and stuff when my main one is busy, if you look at my sig it's about half the speed of my main computer.

I can probably get 416mhz @ 83 fsb on the celly :)

I've got a P4 3.0C hs and fan on the 600, it won't do 100fsb for anything :(

Gonna have a stock 600 celly cooler on the 333

qb4ever said:
It will be my second computer for internet surfing and stuff when my main one is busy, if you look at my sig it's about half the speed of my main computer.

I can probably get 416mhz @ 83 fsb on the celly :)

lol ^^^^^^^^

KevC said:
Probably the PII, didn't the Celery at the time have no cache? THen again, there was the time where the Celeries were faster than the pentiums. Hmm... I'd take the Celery anyway... I hear those were gems at overclocking.
Actually, the 333 Celery had 128K of on-die, full-clockspeed L2 cache - while the 266 PII had 512K of off-die, half-clockspeed L2 cache. Furthermore, the 333 Celery's L2 cache has a much greater bandwidth and lower latency than the 266 PII's L2 cache. The end result is that the 333 Celery was definitely faster than the 266 PII; in fact, it was barely slower in both benchmarking and in real-world apps than an equivalently-clocked Deschutes-core PII at stock speeds. But the 333 PII cost twice as much $$$ as the 333 Celery! Guess which was the better value, in very late 1998 and very early 1999 (when both CPUs could be purchased new)?

Also, did you know that the early Mendocino Celerons are among the few truly good ones? (The others are the Tualatin-based PIII-based Celerons and the newest Prescott-core P4-based Celerons.) Other than those three lines of Celeries, the only Chubberons that are of much worth are the very highly overclockable "no-L2-cache" Covington-core Celerons: Overclocking one of those to 450MHz would deliver the performance that's roughly equivalent to a regular 300 PII.

E4g1e said:
Actually, the 333 Celery had 128K of on-die, full-clockspeed L2 cache - while the 266 PII had 512K of off-die, half-clockspeed L2 cache. Furthermore, the 333 Celery's L2 cache has a much greater bandwidth and lower latency than the 266 PII's L2 cache. The end result is that the 333 Celery was definitely faster than the 266 PII. In fact,the 333 Celery was barely slower in both benchmarks and in real-world apps than an equivalently-clocked Deschutes-core PII at stock speeds - but the 333 PII cost twice as much $$$ as the 333 Celery! Guess which was the better value, in very late 1998 and very early 1999 (when both CPUs could be purchased new)?

Got it, The celly it will be then.

BTW, got the celly in a case ,mobo, and ram deal for free from the local computer store.

qb4ever said:
Got it, The celly it will be then.

BTW, got the celly in a case ,mobo, and ram deal for free from the local computer store.
The 333 Celly is definitely overclockable to 416MHz on an 83MHz FSB with ease (even with a relatively cheap cooler), in my experience when I had that CPU. You just need good-quality memory in order to do so.

After testing the celly does 416@83fsb and the PII does 333@83fsb next come the benchmarks.

The ram is 32mb PC-100 viking sdram

pick the celeron, itll probobly run at 500 with enough tweaking.

why not a 2.4 ghz / 533 fsb celly they've gotten pretty cheap now....

ive got a p2 233 that does 100fsb, i wouldnt be surpised if that 266p2 also does 100fsb. in addition you get more cache

Not to be off topic, but what OS are you running on these boxes? Maybe I can ressurect some comps I have laying around here.

Spleeze said:
Not to be off topic, but what OS are you running on these boxes? Maybe I can ressurect some comps I have laying around here.

Windows 95 with usb supplement :D got 6 seconds from starting windows95... to desktop @416mhz.

Also the mobo only supports 83mhz fsb through jumpers.

100fsb sounds good on the 600 celly at 9X multi though it won't post at it. Maybe crap ram?

Benchmarks: http://www.geocities.com/tylarmiles/benchmarks/
@ 333mhz the celly does one more read mb and the PII does one more million multiplications a second.
AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
why not a 2.4 ghz / 533 fsb celly they've gotten pretty cheap now....

It would be nice..

Can't beat free along with 3 other P200mmx's 9 power cords 3 sets of altec lansing speakers 3 keyboards 4 15 foot ethernet cables and a removeable harddrive tray :)

I can send you a PIII 450 or a PII 450 if you want. Man I do not think anyone should be doing basic work on a PII 266. Unless you are running DOS and Win 3.11 maybe Win98, but with tons of ram.....

darktiger said:
...Man I do not think anyone should be doing basic work on a PII 266...

youd be suprised what trash people are working on in corporate america, some people in my company are still on pentium 200's and 166's. and some machines on the shop floors are still running off 486's.

A very decent mod for older SlotOne MoBo's is a "Slocket" with a Celery 933 or other S370 P3 / Celery part in it. The critical thing to look for is the Vcore has to be compatible with the older MoBo's. As I recall it was 1.7 or 1.75 Volts. I have three old SlotOne systems that got "re-vitalized" with slockets / Celery's in them, and for many uses, they run just great.

YMMV, of course, but the ones I've modded run perfectly well for Office apps, web surfing, etc.

FWIW - B.B.S.

acascianelli said:
youd be suprised what trash people are working on in corporate america, some people in my company are still on pentium 200's and 166's. and some machines on the shop floors are still running off 486's.

I'm Net Admin where I work, and I still have a few p55-233's in use. Most of the socket 7's around here were upgraded to k6-2 450's a long time ago.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
qb4ever said:
Also would this work with a 633\66\128\1.5V celly?

That's the ticket, but keep in mind that it depends if the desired motherboard supports 1.5 Vcore or not. That was what I found to be the single biggest thing to worry about. Some don't; 1.75 is as low as they'll go. Some do get a little squirrley at FSB = 100 MHz, but Vcore is the deal killer.

Luck - B.B.S.

Back