A $200 piece of cardboard

1024-4350-04... SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB AGP VGA DVI-I TV OUT RETAIL BOX $516.32 BUY
102A07518000... SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR AGP VGA DVI-I TV OUT OEM $315.78 BUY

Yes, that's right, with the extra software and a fancy box, you pay just $200 more.

Would you guys be wary of buying this OEM card?

btw- Canadian prices, I can't buy from anywhere else because it doesn't get any cheaper in Canada. (If it does, link meh!)

depends where you're ordering from...weither you trust them enough or not.

I order OEM from newegg all the time.

Newegg's oem items are fine when you don't need the extra cardboard stuffing. :D

well, typically OEM doesn't come with all the software, usually just the driver cd. Which sucks in some situations. That's why i'm buying a Retail Sapphire 9800 Pro over the OEM...it's only 10 bucks more.

Well, I generally buy OEM if the difference is moar than 20 bucks. I need this, wich three machines and all...

I came in here expecting to see a fried card, not a nonsensical pricing comparison.

Fry your card, then post again. :p

I've ordered OEM from ncix before, never had a problem. AFAIK, there'll be no difference between the retail boxed card and the OEM card, aside from the box.

Originally posted by obs
ZipZoomFly ships to Canada. Their 9800 Pro is $229 which is about $306 Canadian.

Better hope you don't get hit at the border. After shipping and possible border taxes, you could look at paying about $400.

In Sweden we got the Sapphire Atlantis 9800 PRO 128 meg lite-retail for like 240 USD and the full retail with the software for 13$ more or something.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
For $15 USD, I'd get the retail stuff. Some of it may even be resaleable for more than $15.

Uh, that's the problem here. The retail stuff is $200 CDN more. That's $150 USD by the way.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
For $15 USD, I'd get the retail stuff. Some of it may even be resaleable for more than $15.

Yeah but it wasn´t much to have anyway.

Tomb raider: Angel of Darkness.

I doubt I will ever play it and don´t bet I will get much if any for it.
PowerDVD 4. Already got 5 dvd software players. Some coming with video cards, some with my mainboards and another some with my tv-tuner.

And that redline tweaker. Wonder how up to date it´s. Also wonder if it´s better than 3dprof.

I got that anyway since the store that had this card in stock only had that version and there was literally no difference in price really.

here's my experience.

Retail 9800 pro:
card
box
manual
driver CD
DVI adaptor
S-Video adaptor
a couple other cables

OEM:
just the card.

So basically it's NOT worth buying retail. You can get the adaptors/cables somewhere else if you have to, and download the drivers off ATI's site (which you should do anyway).

I got my card retail since I did it through the trade-up program and that's the only option, however unless OEM and Retail were priced within $15 of each other I'd get OEM.

When i ordered my 9800pro oem from xtremegear i got all the cables/ converters driver cd and powerdvd 5. was only $215usd.

It's worth it... DVI->VGA and Svideo->Composite adaptors aren't cheap :D

Originally posted by ameoba
It's worth it... DVI->VGA and Svideo->Composite adaptors aren't cheap :D

Who needs it? DVI-VGA only if you have dual monitors.

s-video only if you plan to watch tv or play DVD movie on crappy TV:s.

And no s-vhs-cables aren´t expensive at all.

Back