A $119, 6' CAT8 Fiber Optic Ethernet Cable?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you all think about this?

8K Fiber HDMI Cable 6ft, FURUI Fiber HDMI 2.1 Optic Cable [8K@60Hz,4K@120Hz] Ultra High Speed 48Gbps, Dynamic HDR, eARC, BT.2020, 4:4:4​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLYP4FR

I can get a free one, but why?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
May as well call it a Monster Cable.....sure people will jump all over this "just cause..."

What do you all think about this?
I can get a free one, but why?
If you need an over 50 feet HDMI cable and extender would make cost similar ?

Say if for some scenario (multiple projectors in a large theater ?) you need a 100-200 feet HDMI cable, I imagine that it could become the same price or cheaper than to run many extender with regular cable.

Outside of that, I imagine it make no sense at all, like for a lot of expensive cable in the digital era, would look at monoprice one (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13700) before buying more expensive one.

Last edited:
Fiber would be alright for areas of high EM interference. Like if you ran your HDMI through a microwave oven. But Digital is digital: If you get the signal, you get ALL the signal.

Fiber would be alright for areas of high EM interference. Like if you ran your HDMI through a microwave oven. But Digital is digital: If you get the signal, you get ALL the signal.
"Like if you ran your HDMI through a microwave oven."

LOL

Why? Does it 'work' better?

Yes.

I was running 3x 27" 1440P / 144Hz monitors and any amount of static (like rubbing your feet on the carpet or standing up too fast) would cause the monitors to blank out for a few seconds and lost signal due to EMI.

The LG 38GL950B runs at even higher resolution and refresh rate and is subject to the same phenomena (I think this happens more in dry environments).

Because the fiber optic cable eliminates the inductive copper wires and sends the signal with light, it's a complete cure for this issue.

(and in theory, the black van on the corner can't capture my video signal leakage either...)

Digital is thresholded analog. If you're on the edge of the thresholds, sometimes you get the signal, sometimes you don't, sometimes you have to hold the cable at just the right angle. Iffy HDMI cables actually can look like static. Or they'll sometimes foul up the HDCP handshake, and you'll get a fine picture mostly, but every once in a while it'll screw up and you get 'not authorized'

Anyway, this amazon listing looks like junky junk (things like "✔️【Lifetime Warranty】" in the listing scream junky; real products don't need emoji; that and amazon reviews on the shop say "Melted my expectations."; not sure what that person bought...). Like the hot water pipe in my HVAC return duct, sometimes, you just really need to run HDMI through a microwave oven, so you need fiber, but I would buy one from a reputable place. And probably something that looks more like HDMI -> a fiber connector, user supplied fiber, fiber connector -> HDMI, rather than having everything in one shot.That way, when you need to add a couple more microwaves into your circuit, you can just buy a standard fiber cord in the length you need.

Back