_Dir-X_ a scammer?? ($200!!!! <-- lots of $$ to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kent

2[H]4U
FS/FT thread located here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=852379

My story:

I saw his ad for the modified xBox last Sunday night (01-09-05) and I posted back and we started talking over AIM. We decided on a price for the xBox and included accessories ($200 even) and I asked him to put it on eBay for me and I "bought it now" and paid via PayPal instantly. He said he was starting a new job the next day (1-10-05) and might not get it out until Tuesday. Tuesday came and he said it snowed in NJ and he couldn't make it to the post office. Well, NJ ALWAYS has snow, and he made it to work, and I'm pretty sure post offices are abundant in NJ.

Since Tuesday I've been given the run-around about everything. He said he'd send it "with a friend" to get shipped since he couldn't do it due to his job. I got angry and nervous and filed a PayPal complaint (1-12-05) and he's asked he several times to cancel the compliant. He knows, and I know, if I do that, and he doesn't ship me anything -- he wins because I canceled the complaint. I have refused to do that and he keeps jacking me around. He says tomorrow (1-18-05) he'll ship it to me overnight. He keeps asking me to cancel the complaint but I just won't do it.

Is this dude a scammer?

souns like it. Don't cancel the complaint until you have a tracking number in your hands

It seems like you may have jumped the gun on filling the complaint, but at this point if it still hasnt come something isnt right. I'd leave it up until the Xbox comes.

don;t cancel until you get the item, if he is a good seller he will not be afraid casue he cxan always show proof that he sent the xbox

What should I do if I get the item, but it's in a different condition than I expect:

i.e. situations -

- Broken xbox
- Working, unmodified xbox
- Working, modified xbox w/o all accessories?

BTW: Just wanted to post this on his behalf (he hasn't seen this thread yet, but he's been logged into [H] today:

---
XMaddChillx (9:08:34 PM/CST): Ok good news, I located a post office on my way to work.. It will be mailed out at 8:30 AM.

Ok, I woke up and he IM'd me and said he shipped it "2 day overnight" and it cost him $60. I don't know what "2 day overnight" means, if that means 2 days (i.e. today and tomorrow) and thus "overnight" therein, then I guess.

I hate to call punches on everything this guy said, but you who've been scammed can feel me on this.

No tracking number, will attempt to contact him later today after he gets off work (to his credit, he's never available in the day until about 6-7PM CST)

Dude, you filed a paypal complaint one day after he told you he'd ship the package? That Wednesday? That's some serious jumping of the gun. The fact that he hasn't sent it yet may be cause for concern, but if I were the seller and a buyer like you filed a complaint within such a short span of time, especially since you were kept informed of the situation, I would undoubtedly be extremely annoyed. Did you even try to figure out what was up before filing the complaint? That's pretty ridiculous behavior on your part as a buyer.

In my defense, like I said, I had paid instantly and the guy gave me a general runaround. I called PayPal to just discuss what was going on, and the guy recommended I go ahead and file a complaint. This was after he had said he would "have his friend" ship it.

As we all know, that "my friend" shit is typical of a scammer.

Edit: Also, it takes 5 damn minutes to ship a package. He lives in metro NJ, wtf.

Well, he gave me a USPS delivery conf number earlier today. 0302 2940 0002 1499 5633 to be exact. He didn't ship it overnight like he promised, which is lame.

The thing is, he claimed he shipped it at 9:30EST but the conf number doesn't appear on the USPS site. According to their FAQ, it should already be available, and I know this first hand from using delivery conf everytime I ship something I've eBay'd.

I'm still pissed :mad:

You entered 0302 2940 0002 1499 5633

Your item was accepted at 8:32 am on January 18, 2005 in GLEN ROCK, NJ 07452. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

---

Maybe there's a happy end to this long, drawn-out transaction. It could be a brick, it could be a modified xBox, we will see!

USPS tracking is practically useless, in a lot of cases the info appears in the system after the item's been received. That's the trade-off between faster USPS Priority and slower UPS Ground with excellent tracking info.
Cancel your PayPal complaint AFTER you receive the item.
Hope it works out well for you.

The second the usps guy gets to the door, take out ur video cam(assuming you have one, if not borrow one) and tape it, take some shots of what he delivers, then open it up and check if its modified(still beeing video taped), then plug it in and see if it works.

earthscore has a good suggestion.

i would do the same thing... actually... i would not cancel the complaint, since he did not do what he was supposed to. i would never have done something like that. it's wrong.

I got the xBox today, perfectly as advertised. Games, cables, controllers and etc all included. This guy is NOT a scammer, just a really shitty shipper.

Lied about $60 ship charge, USPS label indicates it was $23 and some change.

You win some, you lose some. I'm just happy this damn thing is over.

::throws a padlock to the admin:: Go on and lock this down! ;)

kent said:
::throws a padlock to the admin:: Go on and lock this down! ;)

Glad to hear you got the goods, kent. :)

And in case you didn't read my sticky thread, you can now lock your own threads in FS/T, that should work for the TTT sub-forum as well. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back