._ files on NFS prevent use of share

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
This is an odd one for me. I'm connecting to a CentOS 8 NFS share from a MacOS Catalina box, and I've noticed that if any ._ files exist on the share, I can't use the NFS share. Even connecting to it times out. If there are no ._ files, I can connect and get a directory listing without any issues. I can also copy from this share to my local machine. HOWEVER, I cannot open or edit any of the files directly on the share. Creating a new folder works perfectly, but I can't copy anything I want to the new folder. Attempting to do either thing disconnects the share from Catalina.

/etc/exports shows the share as (rw,async,insecure)
SELinux has no effect
Firewall is enabled, but NFS is configured

edit: Damnit, just figured it out as soon as I posted this. Turned off the firewall and everything works fine. I forgot that MacOS uses weird ports for NFS.

it would have greatly helped if you had said what version of nfs you were using...v3 or v4
how it works varies greatly!
v4 was partially invented because of firewall issues with v3 (needing all ephemeral open ie 32766-65536). but v4(dot 0) sucked - needed all ephemeral open for callback. 4.1 was barely better - told client what ephemeral was needed for callback
finally in 4.2 you can get away with 2ish ports (111 and 2049)

Last edited:
finally in 4.2 you can get away with 2ish ports (111 and 2049)
If I recall correctly, MacOS doesn't support NFS v4.1 or higher. I also recall reading that Apple's not putting any further development work into NFS support, and that any support will be deprecated soon. I thought it was going to be in Catalina, but maybe whatever page I was reading was jumping the gun.

Back