9dB antenna (RP-SMA) for wireless routers/cards $4.99 + FreeShip @ mwave

Awol

Gawd
UPDATE 1: DEAL IS BACK ON, now only $4.50

UPDATE 2: APPEARS TO BE OUT OF STOCK! :(

802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz 9dBi RP-SMA Omni-Directional Antenna for Router or Network Card:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=AA97956

You have to join (or already be a member of) their "MClub" email newsletter to get this deal. (Not a big deal - and this is coming from someone who hates marketing/newsletter emails)

$10.99 - $6.49 MClub instant discount = $4.50 with free ground shipping

Perfect for most PCI wireless cards or D-Link/3Com routers (NOT Linksys routers, those use RP-TNC connectors)

(This deal is about the same price as buying on eBay, shipped from Hong Kong)

Last edited:
Nice deal thanks op!

Say, am I the only one who misses the old+useful mwave page? The new site layout is terrible.

For a triple-antenna N router, would the dB gain be cumulative or what? Dlink DIR-655 is what I got BTW.

For a triple-antenna N router, would the dB gain be cumulative or what? Dlink DIR-655 is what I got BTW.
My B-inlaw replaced one of his antennas and saw a small improvement, then he replaced his router's second antenna and saw another small improvement (each one slightly improved different spots on his property) was it 100% cumulative? probably not because there was never a "300% improvement" to begin with. He described it as more stable coverage, less dropouts, etc, but he said the improvement(s) were noticeable. He was all set on buying another router but apparently the improvement was good enough for him to keep the one he has, i just can't remember what brand it is...

His were the large 9db antennas with two joints, looks just like the one in the OP's link.

Last edited:
I have a D-Link DGL-4500, it states the Antenna is 2.4/5GHz, would this be compatible?

Awesome! Got one for my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

Its not going to fit i know i bought one a month ago for mine the connector on the router is recessed and the head for the antenna is too wide. Also hooking this to my wireless card on my main system did squat for my signal, no change from my puny stock antenna so just know depending on your setup your mileage may vary.

Its not going to fit i know i bought one a month ago for mine the connector on the router is recessed and the head for the antenna is too wide. Also hooking this to my wireless card on my main system did squat for my signal, no change from my puny stock antenna so just know depending on your setup your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the heads up, that was kind of in the back of my head after looking at it :(

I'll post back my results with it.

As promised, I said i would post back with my results with the antenna and my WHR-HP-G54 router.

The antenna doesnt screw in on the stock router as Thanatos stated, BUT it fits with a very minor modification.

If you look on top of the router, there is a bluish/gray trim that is in the middle on the top. Snap that off the tabs with a flathead screwdriver and the new 9db antenna will screw in just fine. You can either widen the hole in the blue trim with a dremel or snap up the trim and lift it away to get the antenna in.

Extremely easy to do.

If you dont know what im talking about, i can post a picture.

Got mine today and tried it on one of my wireless cards and lost 6 dB :( then again the original antenna is an extendable one and could be put in a better location. I'll try it on my other machine and see what the gain is.

Got mine today and tried it on one of my wireless cards and lost 6 dB

Wtih this (or any high "gain" antenna) there is no "gain" in energy, it's simply redirected. The output, rather than looking roughly like a golf ball (energy sent out fairly evenly all directions), looks more like a pancake (thin vertically, but goes out quite far horizontally). If you're not within ~10degrees up/down, you'll probably lose distance/power verses a standard dipole antenna.

To quote a pretty decent article on antennas:
"Antennas do not somehow magically create power but simply focus the radiated RF into narrower patterns ..." and "The higher the gain of an antenna the smaller the effective angle of use. This is the part people forget i.e. that they have robbed power from other directions and superimposed it on the radiation in the intended direction."

Basically, with this antenna, you'll be sacrificing up/down signal for more distance (horizontally).

Awol

replacing it with these antennas will not do anything. Save your money. Not that these antennas are actually rated 9db. These are no better than stock antenna.

To get the distance you desire is to get a amplifier and a real diphole antenna.

Wtih this (or any high "gain" antenna) there is no "gain" in energy, it's simply redirected. The output, rather than looking roughly like a golf ball (energy sent out fairly evenly all directions), looks more like a pancake (thin vertically, but goes out quite far horizontally). If you're not within ~10degrees up/down, you'll probably lose distance/power verses a standard dipole antenna.

To quote a pretty decent article on antennas:
"Antennas do not somehow magically create power but simply focus the radiated RF into narrower patterns ..." and "The higher the gain of an antenna the smaller the effective angle of use. This is the part people forget i.e. that they have robbed power from other directions and superimposed it on the radiation in the intended direction."

Basically, with this antenna, you'll be sacrificing up/down signal for more distance (horizontally).

Awol

I work in telco so I know all about this stuff :) they are rated 9 dBi (referenced to isotropic radiation) which, like you said alters the shape of the radiation. The same principle is used when adjusting the electrical/mechanical tilt of cellular radios.

Basically it should give me more power in the direction I point it but less around the edges (6 dB less I think). I guess I wasn't pointed the right way and the radiation lobe is narrower than I thought.

Link on main page that was posted for the power amp is dead, thoughts on this one instead:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2000mw-3Amp-RTL...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27ba798e1d

Claims 2W boost PLUS a 15dbi Gain uni-Directional antennia for only $32.69

That's not a power amp. It's a USB wireless adapter with antenna. (Allows your laptop to conenct to a network, can't be used to enhance YOUR wireless router.)

I've seen amps that connect between your router and an antenna. Be aware that anything with that power output is likely over the legal limits imposed by the FCC. (It's not cut and dry though, depends on the real power output and the "effective" / "radiated" output. You can consider cable losses, etc in your calucations. Refer to the experts on this one, I'm far from one.)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I was kinda thinking of using it on the client-end for extending range...

I've honestly considered for some setups I've done attaching the 15' tractor-trailor antennas to routers (possibly in conjunction with an amplifier) but there comes a point where you just need to add more APs/Repeaters...

Back