990X coming out

I don't really see a point of getting a 990x if you already have a 980x, waste of money really.

Paying $1000 for a CPU is just bullshit, and I don't think Intel will slash their prices of the 980x and 970 when the 990x comes out, the 980x would most likely be discontinued and replaced by the 990x, just like the 965 with 975. And yes, I wish Intel would release a 6 core 32nm CPU within the $500 range, the 970 is just priced horribly, may as well get a 980x.

The 980X already has an unlocked multiplier, so it would be pretty dumb to go out and buy a 990X if you've already got one. Just raise it by one and call it a day, or if you're already overclocking then just forget about it.

The 980X already has an unlocked multiplier, so it would be pretty dumb to go out and buy a 990X if you've already got one. Just raise it by one and call it a day, or if you're already overclocking then just forget about it.

Pretty much this. To answer OP's question, I'm definitely not going upgrading from a 980x. If I didn't have either and had to choose between the two, the 980x would make more sense to buy if it was meaningfully cheaper anyway.

There are several people that have clocked their 920's to 4.3 or 4.4 and then decide to upgrade to a 975 only to have it max out lower than the 920. Being a higher model does not always mean more overclocking headroom.

It will be like paying somebody ~1000 $ to get into your bios and up your multiplier by one.

Theres no point in going from a 980 to a 990.. the only difference is clock rate.

The whole reason of getting the 980 was the cores.

The whole reason of getting the 980 was the cores.

Yeah. It pisses me off that they are releasing this instead of a reasonably priced hexacore maybe in the 400-500 dollar range. Their reasonably priced 6 and 8 cores won't be around until the second half of next year when their enthusiast level Sandy Bridge CPUs launch.

Intel's kind of pooped out on this product cycle. No 32nm i7 quads (beyond those Xeons), no mid-range 6-core CPUs. Though I'm happy with my i7 930s performance, so it's not too big of a deal.

Back