9900K Runs HOT!

9900k 5.1GHz 1.33v w/ no AVX offset. Memory 4200 17-17-17-37. Chip has been delidded with copper IHS installed and is under a Heatkiller IV block on a loop with a EKWB D5 and Hardware Labs GTX 420mm+280mm.

24hrs Prime95 Blend w/ AVX...peaked at 260w+:
https://imgur.com/TUSX1Il

Pics..
https://imgur.com/a/bz2KYUv
You guys controlling the heat monster. When I was close to getting this cpu the heat stopped me or cause me to pause. Good to see though

Hi friend.
Rig in my sig is my second 9900k. My first 9900k was RMA'd because of similar issues with temps like yours.
I bought it specifically to get it to 5ghz, but it was just so fucking hot. At idle I was at 49-50c. Bewildered really, didn't seem right.
Didn't want to settle for that so packed it up for #2.

Here are the temps on my second 9900k @ 5ghz just doing desktop shit at 1.34v
https://imgur.com/a/jvdeSEy

Night and day difference. Using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
Here's a pic of my rig if you want an idea of cooling.
https://imgur.com/a/hkgumgw

Nice choice on the h115i Platinum, this is a fantastic cooler.

Is yours with the 115i Plat? I'm still waiting for case, so unfortunately I can't install the 115i Plat on my CPU yet, so I'm not sure how the temp will go or if it will remain 48-50 idle.

You guys controlling the heat monster. When I was close to getting this cpu the heat stopped me or cause me to pause. Good to see though
Yeah...it definitely wants to run hot, but it is coolable. It's inscredibly snappy with plenty of muscle at 5.1.

An AIO is definitely capable of cooling this chip. These are all using a push/pull Corsair H115i on an open bench at 5.1GHz 1.325v 0 AVX offset. The only thing it could not handle was Prime95 w/ AVX which is a pretty unrealistic load for most people. These were while I was testing my setup on the testbench before putting it in my rig.

12hrs Prime 95 w/ out AVX...
gTA5UyJ.jpg

1hr OCCT w/ AVX...
YzKzVUL.jpg

1hr Realbench w/ AVX...
qAqEj7U.jpg

Setup...
WdrhFn7.jpg

An AIO is definitely capable of cooling this chip. These are all using a push/pull Corsair H115i on an open bench at 5.1GHz 1.325v 0 AVX offset. The only thing it could not handle was Prime95 w/ AVX which is a pretty unrealistic load for most people. These were while I was testing my setup on the testbench before putting it in my rig.
Even yours got into the high 80s though, (my personal target is 75 max)

But to TLDR this thread almost all the 9900k generate alot of fucking heat, get a top end AIO with push/pull fans or a custom loop if you want to OC comfortably.

The problem is Intel is using too much gasket material when mounting the IHS. It's not letting enough pressure on the actual die.

If anyone wants to have theirs delidded and a copper IHS put on with liquid metal just send me a message. I could do it for about $60. The 9900k I have now stock at 5ghz throttled like crazy even just in cinebench. After replacing the IHS it's 5.2Ghz Prime95 with AVX stable and cool. Dropped at least 25-30C.

Also for temps, mid 80s is perfectly fine when stressing. That would equal 70s under any other heavy load situation.

Last edited:
Hooray!!! I got great news to share, but first, a finding.

If you have a long PSU, especially those with higher wattage rating, don't buy the DarkFlash Phantom case. Its PSU housing is so crammed there's no way to put a long PSU there. And if it's modular, it's even worse because you can't reach behind it to insert new cables. Probably 1/2 inch of space behind, not even enough to put my finger there. My EVGA 1000W P2 Platinum can't even fit no matter what I did. Then I tried a shorter PSU, even that, it's takes a beating to force it in there.

I don't even know how those people doing Youtube do not mention anything about this...long story short, I went and bought a Corsair 680X and I'm a happy camper!

Now for the 9900K and H115i Platinum combo, temp is 28-30 idled. Max at 84 using AIDA64 Stability Test.

Woo hoo!!!

PS: Beware that the Corsair 680X doesn't have a LED for the HD, so HD/SSD activity is MIA!

Hooray!!! I got great news to share, but first, a finding.

If you have a long PSU, especially those with higher wattage rating, don't buy the DarkFlash Phantom case. Its PSU housing is so crammed there's no way to put a long PSU there. And if it's modular, it's even worse because you can't reach behind it to insert new cables. Probably 1/2 inch of space behind, not even enough to put my finger there. My EVGA 1000W P2 Platinum can't even fit no matter what I did. Then I tried a shorter PSU, even that, it's takes a beating to force it in there.

I don't even know how those people doing Youtube do not mention anything about this...long story short, I went and bought a Corsair 680X and I'm a happy camper!

Now for the 9900K and H115i Platinum combo, temp is 28-30 idled. Max at 84 using AIDA64 Stability Test.

Woo hoo!!!

PS: Beware that the Corsair 680X doesn't have a LED for the HD, so HD/SSD activity is MIA!
Interestingly enough partpicker says its compatible, however I can find no notation for that case it's maximum PSU length, just the VGA card length and CPU cooler height maxes.

Back