9900k results - worried

What?

I have 2 of them and both went up to 5G all core just fine, it just the cooling is a bit tricky to pull off for AVX.

Umm yes. Here is a link to one topic, and a PM that was sent to me. There are others. No cpu should just die, but it is happening.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 7.37.11 PM.png

Umm yes. Here is a link to one topic, and a PM that was sent to me. There are others. No cpu should just die, but it is happening.

Very likely to be Mobo related. All the one listed are using Asus / Asrock (still asus brand)....

I have 2 machine running using GA board, none of them have a issue with it.

Could be MCE doing some kind of over-volt.

Very likely to be Mobo related. All the one listed are using Asus / Asrock (still asus brand)....

Yea, there is a good chance the board MCE is doing something the CPU isn't really design for. I feel like most user who thinks they run on stock doesn't realize MCE is on at stock setting and MCE will auto-overclocks the heck out of the CPU with aggressive voltage.

Did you install the chipset and Intel ME drivers? That's mandatory.
And to overclock make sure you set loadline calibration to turbo, max out power (package) limits 1 and 2 (or long and short), max out cpu current limit, set cpu current protection up to turbo (required for any heavy load), make sure the turbo boost ratios are all set to auto (then you can disable MCE), and if necessary, update your bios to beta bios f7b if F6 isn't stable.

Max out power limits to what value exactly?

What do the C States do exactly? Why disable them? Thanks for the suggestions

They are power states. and they are suggested to be disabled because ppl want their cpu to be running at full speed/power all the time.
however ihave yet to see any performance benefits from it which is advise against that kinds of "tweaks"
the only pwoersaving related feature i would advice to disable in genearl is the core parking.

C-states are CPU states and dteermeins different amout of powerdraw/ sleeping level of .hhte cpu
P-states are Performance states and dtermines the speed and voltaage you cpu is running on. this is also what speedstep controls
S states are you System states and dtermiens what power/sleep levleyou entire systme is in like S1 standby or S3 standby S4 is hibernation S5 is turned of
G-states are you Global states and is kinde like S states but more "rough"

G1 = powred on and running ( this also S1
G2 = sleepmode( S1-S5)
G3 = MEchical off ( you pulled the cable oghit the mchnical switch ont he cpu

So in G1 you run in S1 where you CPU can be in like P1 ( highest mhz) and C0 which is fully on an calculationg
but it can also be
G1 S1 P2 ( slower speed) C3 ( part of the cpu turned off) etc etc

They all work in harmonics withing each other

Why would you get worried that a hot cpu got hot during a synthetic test?

My CPU hit 95 (ouch) during a prolonged prime95 and furmark test on a 360 aio and 4 intake fans. My real world usage (BFV maxed) only hits 70-75.

Realbench is far from a hardcore test. I would be worried if it get that high with that light load

They are power states. and they are suggested to be disabled because ppl want their cpu to be running at full speed/power all the time.
however ihave yet to see any performance benefits from it which is advise against that kinds of "tweaks"
the only pwoersaving related feature i would advice to disable in genearl is the core parking.

C-states are CPU states and dteermeins different amout of powerdraw/ sleeping level of .hhte cpu
P-states are Performance states and dtermines the speed and voltaage you cpu is running on. this is also what speedstep controls
S states are you System states and dtermiens what power/sleep levleyou entire systme is in like S1 standby or S3 standby S4 is hibernation S5 is turned of

G2 = sleepmode( S1-S5)

So in G1 you run in S1 where you CPU can be in like P1 ( highest mhz) and C0 which is fully on an calculationg
but it can also be

This was very....very painful to read.

This basically tells you that these CPUs aren't really stable at their supposed stock turbo speeds. Even if you can use some monster heatsinks to get them stable, if it's mandatory, the design is pretty questionable. Intel needs another process shrink for 5ghz I think.

I am 99% sure the Asus boards are killing the chips. I just RMA'd my brother's 8700K the other day that died on his Asus Maximus Hero X board. Mine is chugging along fine on my Aorus board though lol

Asus has a history of over volting their chips. That really is disturbing news. I have a Gigabyte Master Z390.

Also had stuttering issues. Was able to fix it by reseting cmos and disabling and re-enabling my sli setup.
Also disabled onboard audio and using my monitor's speakers through the video card for audio.

No more stuttering. Think there are bus management issues with this board.

The op should use an AVX offset and not let the motherboard auto overclock the cpu at 4.7ghz if the temps bother him.

Probably needs a better cooler such as a 360 AIO.

Asus has a history of killing CPUs on the X99 platform because of special power pins they add to their sockets. Another potential cause could be dust or particles getting on the pins or pads that causes them to burn out over time due to built up resistance. Please check if there are burn marks. We can see this on 8th gen CPUs unproperly modded to run on z170 and z270 boards.

G2 = sleepmode( S1-S5)

but it can also be

This is a little much for me to understand. At this point.. I just want a stable Rig. I could care less about overclocking this thing. The studdering is killing me.

This basically tells you that these CPUs aren't really stable at their supposed stock turbo speeds. Even if you can use some monster heatsinks to get them stable, if it's mandatory, the design is pretty questionable. Intel needs another process shrink for 5ghz I think.

I have a monster heat sink and the temps are FINE, but the studdering is killing me.

Asus has a history of over volting their chips. That really is disturbing news. I have a Gigabyte Master Z390.

Also had stuttering issues. Was able to fix it by reseting cmos and disabling and re-enabling my sli setup.
Also disabled onboard audio and using my monitor's speakers through the video card for audio.

No more stuttering. Think there are bus management issues with this board.

The op should use an AVX offset and not let the motherboard auto overclock the cpu at 4.7ghz if the temps bother him.

Probably needs a better cooler such as a 360 AIO.

I read that the HS I have is pretty damn great for not overclocking and also really close to some of the water coolers (which is why I bought it).

I will try the suggestions, not sure what else to do. I mean my OLD i-4570 runs faster than this now with all the studdering. Not sure what else to do.

This is a little much for me to understand. At this point.. I just want a stable Rig. I could care less about overclocking this thing. The studdering is killing me.
Shameles plug

Try my project mercury and see if it helps on the stuttering. I don't think there is a high probabliity it will fix it
But it easy and fast to test.

did you check for overheating ?

www.techcenter.dk

30+ tabs open!?!?!?! Dear god man haven't you heard of the bookmark feature on your web browser

30+ tabs open!?!?!?! Dear god man haven't you heard of the bookmark feature on your web browser

LOL....I use all browsers (normal and developer editions) with multiple windows open and each has even more than 30-40 tabs open....There are instances that I have 2 or 3 Browsers open with more than 400-500 tabs in total.

And of courser I have more than 6,000 bookmarks....

Just because you don't have a use for it, this does not mean that there are no workflows that can use multi tabs....I assign projects to separate windows and spread windows to multiple monitors too...

If your system can handle it multi tabs are the best thing since sliced bread.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
For reference what kind of temps are you guys seeing when loading the 9900k? My temps hover in the 70's but I am also in the attic, the hottest part of my house. I have 3 screens, one of them has Kodi streaming from my cable card(2k), center screen has Battlefield playing (4k) and right screen(2k) has my DVR software streaming 5 1080p camera feeds. I don't notice any sort of stuttering or delays with all the crap open, including multiple browsers in background and stuff like Discord. From my perspective its silky smooth. What kind of stuttering exactly are we talking about?

I am seeing 60/61 deg C with a Kraken X62 in performance mode. It was MUCH higher temps until I set the voltage limit to 1.32 because auto was taking it much higher and causing it to run too hot.

I've had nothing but trouble with my Gigabyte Aurous Ultra board. My 8700K came out of an Asus Maximus X hero and was running stable as hell at 5ghz with 1.35V. I replaced it with a 9900k and that has since been running stable at 5.1ghz at 1.365V. The stupid gigabyte board I bought is having all manner of trouble running the 8700k at 4.9ghz with random lockups where the hard drive light freezes solid and then the pc stops responding. I have replaced all the drives one at a time and it is not the drives causing it. What's weird is that I can run handbrake or P95 all damn day and it is stable as hell. When it freezes it is usually in games but not always. Sometimes it will just freeze when web browsing or just idling. It's just random. It is simply the motherboard is a piece of shit. I downloaded the F7b beta bios and was going to flash it this week to see what happens because sitting at F6 has been a disaster so far. I think I am also beyond the return window at microcenter now too since I got it for Christmas and have been fiddling with it for two weeks to try and stabilize the pos. Never buying a gigabyte again. Have had nothing but trouble with them over the years. Never a problem with asus,

Back