9900K and 9700K Will be Soldered

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In a statement to OC3D, Canadian laptop developer Eurocom confirmed that the Intel 9900K and 9700K CPUs will be soldered to their IHS. When Intel launched their Ivy bridge desktop CPUs, they switched from solder to a less thermally conductive TIM, and continued the tradition all the way to Coffee Lake. In August, Videocardz leaked some slides suggesting that Intel's next mainstream CPUs would be soldered, but that rumor wasn't confirmed by a PC manufacturer until now.

"New Intel i9-9900K and i7-9700K CPUs are coming with gold soldered TIM/IHS to the CPU die. This should help manage the temperatures of the higher-clocked CPUs and will also help with achieving higher overclocked frequencies. Our Sky "C" super-laptops are ready for 9900K /9700K."

Ah. The days when we didn't have a ihs in the way....

And the ihs was born due to chipped cpu's.

And then we lapped because of uneven surfaces

And then we wanted TIM instead of solder if we de-lid.

And now we want solder instead of the TIM. Especially if we do not de lid.

Now if we go back to a open core no ihs CPU, we will come full circle.

Last edited:
'Will be' should read 'has to be to meet the thermal envelope of the package'.

You can't put two more cores on a CPU and run it at the same speed without adding heat.

You can't put two more cores on a CPU and run it at the same speed without adding heat.

Agreed, that would not happen unless you improved the process and likely lowered the voltage.

Is this good or bad ? :)
It's Meh ..... In theory it gets better conductivity so you can cool slightly more efficiently which leads to better overclocks. But a lot of this will depend on what kind of solder, how much was used where was it placed how good is the contact between the lid and processor below, there are a lot of variables. Then there is the paranoia factor of Why now? What changed that made them decide this was needed? What don't they wan't us to see?

Because the process will cost $.05 more per unit the end user price will go up at least $200.00

If the price stayed the same they could put a lot of pressure on AMD to lower its prices since AMD still needs to have more cores to have equal performance.

Should we applaud them for fixing an issue they created themselves by being cheap? Or applaud them for essentially factory overclocking existing chips to new heights? I don't think this move is worthy of ANY praise.

Ah. The days when we didn't have a ihs in the way....

And the ihs was born due to chipped cpu's.

And then we lapped because of uneven surfaces

And then we wanted TIM instead of solder if we decide.

And now we want solder instead of the TIM. Especially if we do not de lid.

Now if we go back to a open core no ihs CPU, we will come full circle.

At he current price of CPUs I’ll gladly take an IHS, since my methods to reduce die sizes though HS installs generally meant I was back out the door to my closest brick and mortar store to buy a new processor.

Think I crushed a Duron or two...

Intel can't get any more negativity. Using paste would just make it a harder sell. IMO that's why they changed it to solder

If the price stayed the same they could put a lot of pressure on AMD to lower its prices since AMD still needs to have more cores to have equal performance.

LOL, by the time these chips are actually on store shelves, AMD will have their 7nm chips out...and probably take the IPC crown away from Intel.

7nm is still a long way out. These will arrive before AMD ships 7nm silicon.
7nm is being sampled this year. There are also supposed leaked benches of 7nm Epyc. The 9900K will beat Zen 2 to market, but I don’t think it’ll beat it by a long timeframe.

As an aside, Eurocom makes kickass laptops. Highly recommended.

I want a 9900k but don't really _need_ it but Zen 2 might be pimp as fuck.

Hmmmm

I care more about if there are any silicon fixes for the recent Intel CPU exploits...

I care more about if there are any silicon fixes for the recent Intel CPU exploits...

Hear me out, I'm definately no apologist for Intel, but do the recent(ish) vulnerabilities even effect consumer security? Aren't they mostly exploits for server-level data security like encrypted VMs, or secure memory partitions?

Hear me out, I'm definately no apologist for Intel, but do the recent(ish) vulnerabilities even effect consumer security? Aren't they mostly exploits for server-level data security like encrypted VMs, or secure memory partitions?

but Intel released some software fixes through Windows Update and BIOS updates for everyone so even those not affected will get the 'fix' which incurs a slight performance penalty

Back