9900k Allegedly Listed on Amazon

Do we know for sure the Zen 2 will be same mobo? I'm also waiting for a 3700x (or whatever the name is) but i heard it might be a new chipset.

AMD is not Intel. AMD has stated on many occassions they are supporting AM4 and TR3 until 2020 or beyond. Every roadmap containing AM4 and TR3 support information shows 2020 or beyond.

Security issues have been discovered. Thus far only OpenBSD has disabled hyperthreading by default. If exploits start appearing or additional vulnerabilities are found it may necessitate disabling HT in other operating systems.

If you have HT enabled, it allows a vector for a series of very serious attacks...Intel has tried to mitigate this with a combination of Microcode and OS patches that costs you 5~30+% of your CPU's performance depending on the task at hand...

I had a 5Ghz 3770K I retired back in Jan when the news of Meltdown/Spectre broke, since I knew it was going to be very bad and most like kill resale value..I jumped to a Ryzen 1600 @ 4.1Ghz and loved it, then jumped to a 2700 @ 4.3Ghz and love that even moar! I will be getting the top Zen3 SKU this coming winter/spring and the best thing is the lack of these issues (aside from one) that Intel suffers from and the fact I do not need to buy a new Mobo!

Ah. I see. Thank you both for clarifying.

So, you are willing to spend big bucks on a CPU and then cut it's performance by at least 1/3? Guess you are a better man than me. :D
Some work places you can't dick around with security, the bigger question is if I do have to disable HT on it is the 2077X then faster and if so by how much? Depending on the place you work at Specter and Meltdown aren't jokes,so I really need to find a board that is patched for it and would work with this CPU.

Reactions: Joust
like this
Very interested about this 9900k. Was almost decided on the 2700x but with reservations. This could be the combination of 2700x/8700k I was hoping for. I rather pay a bit more and get the extra speed, single core performance plus extra cores and not have to upgrade for a long time again.

I have a 2700x and am VERY happy with its performance. And for the cost difference, I can just buy the next Ryzen processor and upgrade and pay the same price (probably less when I sell my 2700x off).

Some work places you can't dick around with security, the bigger question is if I do have to disable HT on it is the 2077X then faster and if so by how much? Depending on the place you work at Specter and Meltdown aren't jokes,so I really need to find a board that is patched for it and would work with this CPU.

AMD chips aren't as vulnerable as intels, and you don't have to disable multithreading on them to avoid exposure to the hacks.

no excuse for using camera the wrong way, i suggest a vigorous slap on the wrist with a Vodoo 5 - 6000

no excuse for using camera the wrong way, i suggest a vigorous slap on the wrist with a Vodoo 5 - 6000
lol How exactly do you expect him to hold it when it's a vertical object he's photographing? :pompous:
If he held it landscape, we'd have missed the Z390-A on the bottom. Or he'd have had to back up and then we'd lose details due to the distance.
Portrait was the proper way in this instance. :snaphappy:

(It also naturally eliminates the bystander to the left, who could then potentially get in trouble as a result of letting him take the pic.)

AMD chips aren't as vulnerable as intels, and you don't have to disable multithreading on them to avoid exposure to the hacks.
I’m not doubting that but my authorized supplier list is pretty scarce on AMD hardware. And their ITX board pickings are pretty slim.

Back