99% Pure Alcohol in the pump

Whatsisname said:
In the criterea you gave. There are liquids better suited than water. Granted, they cost more, but you didn't make any mention of price.
I did mention thermal conductivity and cost effeciency. Read the whole thread before responding next time, ok?

starhawk said:
pure ethylene (same thing as ethyl alcohol... which is moonshine) :rolleyes:

I dunno how relevant this is to the convo, but i'll chip in my expertise. ethylene/ethene is not ethyl alcohol. You are thinking of ethanol. That's the same as ethyl alcohol.

Ethylene is C2H4, a gas that is used to advance ripening of certain fruits. It is used industrially in the production of plastics and ETHYL ALCOHOL.

Ethanol is CH3CH2OH, a much more complicated LIQUID. It is the ingredient in alcoholic beverages that creates an intoxicating effect. It is also used in some gasolines and in a variety of industrial applications.

I know it's not 100% relevant to the discussion, but if we're going to talk about chemicals, we need to get them straight. Besides, what good is a gas going to do in a liquid conversation ;)

EDIT: Whoops, that's a classic example of skimming a thread and not reading it. It's still good trivia info ;)

um... apHy... that was covered several posts back... thanx for the chemical info tho.

Naa, hanks for chiming in with accurate info, apHy.

As I said, although tongue in cheak, Redline Water Wetter! It is an engine coolant surfracant, which assists in heat Transfer.

alcohol needs air to evaporate into and carry away the heat. OT: Why do morons always have alot to write, and nothing to say mostly because THEY DON'T READ THE F'ING POST!

Hmm... Don't know if that comment was about me, but I was pointing out that in a closed system alcohol would work well as an evaporative cooling mixture. It would just have to be contained in a closed system with a couple of separate chambers. The first chamber would be the reservoir and would bathe a radiator from a spray bar while air is forced through it (througfh a one way valve or flap arrangement so to avoid sparks). Then the alcohol would be reabsorbed from air by cold distillation back into liquid and then the whole cycle wouild repeat itself. Personally I would rather just go get a mini freezer and put my mb in it and forget about it as this kind of discussion is only practical in the mind of an engineer ;)

Top Nurse said:
Personally I would rather just go get a mini freezer and put my mb in it and forget about it as this kind of discussion is only practical in the mind of an engineer ;)

We've been over this already, those freezers & fridges aren't meant to be run 24/7 :p

Talonz said:
We've been over this already, those freezers & fridges aren't meant to be run 24/7 :p
Yeah, sooner or later (usualy sooner) the fridge will fail, causing your components... to oxidize?

Where were all you chemistry/thermaldynamics buffs when I was trying to explain to these dopeheads in the following thread that a passive water cooling system wouldnt be a good idea? If I turn into some kind of psycopathic lunatic because of all this I hope you guys know its all your fault.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=859313

But a 1/2HP Aquarium Chiller can work 24/7...

Now that is what I have been thinking about! My PC-75 case has so much wasted space I'm sure I could tuck it in above the PS and no one would even know it was there :D

undertheradar said:
Where were all you chemistry/thermaldynamics buffs when I was trying to explain to these dopeheads in the following thread that a passive water cooling system wouldnt be a good idea? If I turn into some kind of psycopathic lunatic because of all this I hope you guys know its all your fault.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=859313
Well, actually it's possible to make a completely passive (no motors) watercooling system... it would work on thermal convection. It will obviously be very quiet, buy won't perform too well.

iddqd said:
Well, actually it's possible to make a completely passive (no motors) watercooling system... it would work on thermal convection. It will obviously be very quiet, buy won't perform too well.
I dunno - it *might*.

You'd need to arrange a system in "desktop" orientation - motherboard horizontal. Mount the radiator directly above the CPU...maybe a foot? Less? Big radiator, too, dual 120mm mounts at least. Just run the CPU directly up to it and directly back. Radiator should probably be 'tilted' so that the tube going TO the CPU is lower than the tube coming FROM the CPU. This would really work best if the 'input' and 'output' tubes on the radiator were on opposite sides.

Not in the statement I was replying to.

iddqd said:
I did mention thermal conductivity and cost effeciency. Read the whole thread before responding next time, ok?

dderidex said:
I dunno - it *might*.

You'd need to arrange a system in "desktop" orientation - motherboard horizontal. Mount the radiator directly above the CPU...maybe a foot? Less? Big radiator, too, dual 120mm mounts at least. Just run the CPU directly up to it and directly back. Radiator should probably be 'tilted' so that the tube going TO the CPU is lower than the tube coming FROM the CPU. This would really work best if the 'input' and 'output' tubes on the radiator were on opposite sides.
Zalman Reserator 1.

iddqd said:
Alcohol doesn't exactly have high good heat transfer properties, or specific heat capacity.

I will 100% guarantee, that you will never find a liquid better suited for heat exchange than water is. Not in this galaxy :p

at least something that is no toxic, water is the best...
alcohol density would probably kill the flow too.

iddqd said:
Zalman Reserator 1.

Still requires a pump

thelostrican said:
at least something that is no toxic, water is the best...
alcohol density would probably kill the flow too.

Alcohol has a lower density then water.

WheresWaldo said:
I don't think WaterWetter assists in thermal transfer. Have you read these articles at Overclockers seems the author was pretty thurough when testing many different additives to water.

PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part 1
PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part 2

In theory it does, although the general consensus is that it doens't help much in PC watercooling systems. In an automotive system, with much greater temperatures and temperature differentials, it will obviously have different effects.

Back