99.5% GPU Bound with a 1080TI on Gears of War 4 benchmark

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Just bought Gears of War 4 for $4.50 from CD-Keys. Downloaded all 133GB of it. Started it up. Everything defaulted to Ultra. Built in benchmark results show averaging about 100FPS with 99.5% GPU bottleneck. (3440x1440 Resolution)

My I7 6850K CPU is actually overclocked to 4.0Ghz on all cores (it just shows stock speed of 3.6ghz there for some reason). My EVGA SC Black 1080TI is not overclocked. 16GB of 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM in quad channel config. (4x4GB)

Interesting to me that it says 99.5% GPU bound. Look at the frame times on the CPU, vs. the frame times on the GPU — once again proving that GPU is really all that matters in modern gaming.

upload_2019-2-23_0-53-24.png

Last edited:
Ummmm...Were you expecting to *not* be GPU bound when using that resolution with all settings set to Ultra, and running canned benchmark????

Last edited:
Well in a canned benchmark you will mainly be GPU bound and that is expected.

Most likely it's just playing a scripted animation, sort of like a movie but rendered in the game engine (e.g. not complex physics or AI simulation).

In a real game you are doing much more on the CPU in terms of the game logic and simulation on top over everything rendering on the GPU, so that is a much better test.

Last edited:
Back