980ti vs. 1060 6gb

cody6750

n00b
Hello!
Would it be better for me to buy a 980 ti or a 1060 6gb at this point? I could get them both at the same price, and i'm struggling to decide. I don't do anything too strenuous, the only game I play would probably be PubG.
Thanks

If I recall from benchmarks the 980Ti is roughly equal to a GTX1070. It would outperform a 1060, but suck up a whole lot more power doing so.

That was true with launch drivers.

With more modern drivers (and games that take advantage of Pascal optimizations), the GTX 980 Ti is a little more than halfway between the GTX 1060 and the GTX 1070:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1070_Ti_STRIX/30.html

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Still 20% faster than the 1060 6GB, but might not be worth the extra power consumption. Your call.

Last edited:
Does the 980ti have around the same overclock headroom as a GTX 1070?

Assuming power didn't matter to the end user.

HWBOT says they overclock exactly the same 30% percentage. And both are based on base clock versus max boost, so they're comparable percentages (even though the default boost clock is ALWAYS higher than the base on Nvidia).

http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/geforce_gtx_1070/

GTX 1070: Default clock: 1506, average oc: 1951

http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/geforce_gtx_980_ti/

GTX 980 Ti: Default clock: 1076, average oc: 1395

The actual overclock numbers are closer to 20%, since all cards typically run 10% or more above base clocks. But they're the same even when you adjust for that.

People with aggressive cooling or nut-heads on these forums who actually play the hardware swap game to get a "golden" part may have given you the wrong impression on overclocking the 1070.

HWBOT says they overclock exactly the same 30% percentage. And both are based on base clock versus max boost, so they're comparable percentages (even though the default boost clock is ALWAYS higher than the base on Nvidia).

http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/geforce_gtx_1070/

GTX 1070: Default clock: 1506, average oc: 1951

http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/geforce_gtx_980_ti/

GTX 980 Ti: Default clock: 1076, average oc: 1395

The actual overclock numbers are closer to 20%, since all cards typically run 10% or more above base clocks.
I always figured the 980ti had a higher overclocked ceiling.

Why you shouldn't assume things. Thanks, that was enlightening. Much appreciated.

Why you shouldn't assume things. Thanks, that was enlightening. Much appreciated.

The people who get higher max overclock percentages out of the GTX 980 Tis are the people who are overvolting and installing massive watercoolers. They swear up-and-down that there's like 10% more clock headroom.

There may be a higher oc range on the 980 Ti, but it's not within the realm of reason for your average gamer. On air, it's exactly the same.

Interesting, so it's Kepler all over again eh?

No. It's called launch day drivers not being even close to mature, and additional enhancements in Pascal beginning to be used almost two years after release.

These people who whine about relative performance loss need to learn about this thing call a Driver Team. AND the mix of games in that latest TechPowerUp article is not the same as they used in the launch review. AS NEW GAMES ARE DESIGNED AND RELEASED, ANY TWEAKS TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE IN A NEW ARCHITECTURE WILL BE UTILIZED.

If TechPowerUp did a re-run of the review from two years ago (with latest drivers), you would see things a lot closer to the 1070. But it would still be about 5% faster due to driver enhancements since launch.

Driver optimizations hit a point of max output, after which you won't get any more. Kepler had already been optimized when Maxwell was released, so there was some room for the new architecture's driver efficiency to grow. Maxwell had already been optimized when Pascal was released, so there was some room for the new architecture's driver efficiency to grow.

It's the same story every time. I'd suggest you get used to it :D

Last edited:
The people who get higher max overclock percentages out of the GTX 980 Tis are the people who are overvolting and installing massive watercoolers. They swear up-and-down that there's like 10% more clock headroom.

There may be a higher oc range on the 980 Ti, but it's not within the realm of reason for your average gamer. On air, it's exactly the same.
The 980ti I am using is a Classified that I just found a water block for. I was still under the impression that the 980ti = ~1070. It's still cheaper to try to squeeze more time and performance from this thing that move up into a new card.

So yes it will be beat the piss out of until the market falls on 1080ti's or something. It's been a weird few years for GPUs IMO.

More importantly, thanks for showing up with data to support your position. I very rarely look into updated comparison charts after launch. I'm slacking.

Yeah, the 980 Ti should serve you well for some time. I agree that the 1080 Ti is your only viable upgrade, and that's still nutso expensive.

The earliest we should expect consumer Volta is in a few months, but now that the Titan V is out, Nvidia may use that as an excuse to delay a few more months. I totally didn't see that one coming, so it makes me suspect that GDDR6 may be delayed?

Who the fuck knows? GDDR5X was a flash announcement on the day they released the 1080.

I think used 980 Ti is a bit more expensive than a new 1060 6GB, and it's a bit cheaper than 1070. So we're getting we paid for?

I have a 1060 6GB in a couple boxes, used to have a 980Ti before I sold it for a 1080Ti, the 980Ti is a more powerful card but the 1060 is a great card especially for the amount of power it uses and heat it puts out.

I own both a 980ti with stock cooler and a 1070 MSI ITX. My 980ti overclocks to about 1500mhz without anything special being done, but does get louder then the 1070 which boosts to about 2ghz.

In BF1 I see a small edge for the 980ti on some levels, and a small boost for the 1070 on others. Both cards can easily drive 1440p at Ultra settings at locked 60FPS.

This was with an 8700 non-k clocked down to 3.7GHZ 6 cores, 32GB Corair DDR4-3200, and an NVME SSD.

That said: I would choose the 1070 over the 980ti due to the reduced power consumption and reduced noise.

I would choose the 980ti over the 1060 for the performance.

GTX 1060 is pretty much a GTX 980 refresh. The 980ti is faster & in some case the vanilla 980.

it does have a higher OC ceiling.

compare a maxed out 980ti (1450-1550mhz) to a maxed out 1070 (~2050mhz) and see.

the 980ti is underrated card imo. sure it use more power but who cards. it is faster then a 1070 or close and nearly as fast as a 1080. only difference from 1070 is power/vram. i was quite suprised when i got my 1080 and compared it to my high asic clocking 980ti, sent it back asap. 1080ti on the other hand delivers. it's sad upgrades dont go upwards from the latest strongest card. but backtracks sort of, so that like a 1080ti is only viable and sensible upgrade from 980ti. so a 980ti vs 1060 is a nobrainer imo. and u can probably get a good used card for good money. sadly old graphics card sell for obscene prices today for some reason. atleast here in norway. like close to old retail prices....

the 980ti is underrated card imo. sure it use more power but who cards. it is faster then a 1070 or close and nearly as fast as a 1080. only difference from 1070 is power/vram. i was quite suprised when i got my 1080 and compared it to my high asic clocking 980ti, sent it back asap. 1080ti on the other hand delivers. it's sad upgrades dont go upwards from the latest strongest card. but backtracks sort of, so that like a 1080ti is only viable and sensible upgrade from 980ti. so a 980ti vs 1060 is a nobrainer imo. and u can probably get a good used card for good money. sadly old graphics card sell for obscene prices today for some reason. atleast here in norway. like close to old retail prices....

Yeah..um.. no. A 980 TI was about as fast as a 1070 at launch and as shown above may now be somewhere between a 1060 and 1070 due to driver maturity and game optimizations for Pascal.

As for why old cards are so xpensive, it's because they are no longer in production and you can't get newer ones due to miner demand.

In some benchmarks I have seen the 980ti pull ahead of the 1070 GTX (Non-ti). Overclocking both cards to the max I still see the 980ti keeping up with the 1070 easily.

980ti > 1060 6GB any day of the week.

Yeah..um.. no. A 980 TI was about as fast as a 1070 at launch and as shown above may now be somewhere between a 1060 and 1070 due to driver maturity and game optimizations for Pascal.

As for why old cards are so xpensive, it's because they are no longer in production and you can't get newer ones due to miner demand.

Actually a lot of benchmarks put the 980ti, when overclocked , close to the realm of a 1070ti.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Actually a lot of benchmarks put the 980ti, when overclocked , close to the realm of a 1070ti.

Exactly. You have to remember that the stock 980 reference Ti you see in benchmarks has a very low boost clock in stock form, something like 1075 MHz whereas an overclocked one can reach about 1450-1500 MHz. That's what makes it still a viable card today. I am still happily running a 980 Ti at 1440p and so far have no need to change as all games I play run well.

At 4K is where it struggles a lot but so do the 1070 and 1080 unless you drop details. That's 1080 Ti territory until we get the next gen Nvidia cards.

Weirdly enough I'd say it depends on your electrical costs/heat generated. The 1060 pros are Longer warranty, less heat/power consumption. Its con would be less performance than the 980ti. If you decide to get the 980 ti try to get a really good one with an excellent cooler like the lightning or windforce.

If you care about performance i think the 980TI is a no brainer, if you care about warranty then buy a new 1060, but its hard for me to justify an entry level card over a 980TI

I see a lot more 980ti units being sold now as well, especially as the 1060 6gb is being used for mining because of its economical power use.

I guess they could cripple mining via drivers. BTW the rumored "magic drivers" that were to push both Vega and Pascal to almost double its hashrate never came out.

Indeed these crypto miners are insane and because of them, gamers are suffering. I wonder when GPU companies ban mining on desktop graphics cards.

That is not going to happen. If they gimp mining on their cards, even gaming will be affected.

Indeed these crypto miners are insane and because of them, gamers are suffering. I wonder when GPU companies ban mining on desktop graphics cards.

You realize no company on earth actually cares what you do with their product right? They only care if they sell them.
nVidia and ATi wouldn't care if some billionaire bought every chip off the fab and then dumped it all into a pit, filled the pit with dynamite, blew them up, and then filled the top with 100ft of concrete and rebar.
As long as they're making the cash no other interest will be served. Do not fool yourself. These companies are not your friend. Their goal is to make money. Creating a superior product (or even just a product) is to meet their goal of making money. The sooner you realize that, the more obvious market forces become and also that spending money to benefit any company makes zero sense. In other words, serve yourself with your purchases. These companies do not deserve your loyalty. Not one of them.

Last edited:
I guess they could cripple mining via drivers. BTW the rumored "magic drivers" that were to push both Vega and Pascal to almost double its hashrate never came out.

It was only a ploy to get people to buy more cards. Looks like it worked. :LOL:

haha no, 1080 slays it all day every day. but you can't buy a 10-series these days, enjoy 980ti, great card

Depeche on the card 980 Ti. Based yes. But some of us are getting 1.5ghz+ on 980 Ti's. I myself am at 1.6ghz :hungry:

Depeche on the card 980 Ti. Based yes. But some of us are getting 1.5ghz+ on 980 Ti's. I myself am at 1.6ghz :hungry:

Even so, you’re going head to head with a 1070 and, because of the extra CUDA cores in the 980 Ti, your card will be slightly faster than any overclocked 1070. But you’re not going to slay any but the most anemic stock 1080, which overclocks just as well as the 1070.

I was seriously considering a 980 Ti before jumping for the 1070 in my sig. Ultimately, it came down to power draw and possibly better longevity via drivers that tipped the scales. If I were in the market for the 1080 no 980 Ti would have been considered.

Even so, you’re going head to head with a 1070 and, because of the extra CUDA cores in the 980 Ti, your card will be slightly faster than any overclocked 1070. But you’re not going to slay any but the most anemic stock 1080, which overclocks just as well as the 1070.

I was seriously considering a 980 Ti before jumping for the 1070 in my sig. Ultimately, it came down to power draw and possibly better longevity via drivers that tipped the scales. If I were in the market for the 1080 no 980 Ti would have been considered.

Personally, I'm not concerned with power draw. Most high-end users aren't.

I purchased both a 1070 and a 1080 and my overclocked 980 Ti was faster by 20% against the 1070 and 7% against the 1080. Thus I returned them and kept them my 980 Ti.

As for drivers, yes, by virtue the 10 series will be supported longer than the 9 series. That's a given with any comparison.

If it were a stock 980 Ti, the 1080 is better. I'm talking about overclocked which most every 980 Ti can do a 30% overclock. I'm sitting at nearly a 60% overclock. Only a 1080 Ti would be a slight bump.

Back