980ti On Deathbed?

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm chasing an issue with my video card - or some other piece of my system. I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyways, I have a Strix 980ti, only use the GPU tweak presets and before I replaced my motherboard and processor games would run terribly slow until the system was rebooted. This happened most of the time from a cold start. So I got to the point where I'd reboot the system before logging in. Fast forward to the new board and processor (full wipe), it's started to do it again. The only way to get 'normal' performance levels is to start the computer, then restart it again, then launch games.

Now the power target % in GPU tweak and the GPU usage are bouncing around.

Have you tried without any GPU tweaks or changes? Completely uninstall that software, and reset the video drivers to defaults and see how it does. I'd also check / replace the GPU power cables.

The computer behaves the same with or without GPU tweak onboard.

If it's always a problem from a cold start and always goes away after a reboot my first guess would be windows 8 or 10 hybrid shutdown. Once it's enabled the only way to get a clean boot of Windows is a reboot.

If I remember correctly the ASUS GPU Tweak was a pretty shitty piece of software. I would probably try uninstalling it, clean installing the latest Nvidia drivers and see if that fixes it. Also check your power and sleep settings. Everything seems to point that for some reason coming out of sleep the GPU stays in some low power mode.

Back