980ti: GTX8800 reenactment

Azphira

[H]ard|Gawd
So my zotax 980ti amp extreme is spamming tdr's.

I discover nvidia's drivers are raising the boost way out of spec, almost to 1500mhz from the default 1355 factory overclock

So I under clock the card so the boost meets 1355 and the tdr's stop.

I see alot of screaming about the TDR's on the geforce forums thread for the latest drivers hotfix. Seems it goes all the way back to 353.06

Is nvidia having another "oops" just like the gimped kepler "oops"?

NVIDIA occasionally has some bad streaks with drivers. This is one of them. Apparently they have been trying to "tighten the timings" of the hardware through the drivers, and in doing so they have broken a lot of cards factory OC or not. I think the cards are either not responding to requested power demands fast enough or the wrong power state for the requested clock is being entered. The 353.38 hotfix driver supposedly loosened the timings to decrease TDR occurrence, but it obviously isn't enough. I think that NVIDIA are having growing pains in their drivers in order to comply with WDDM 2.0 for Windows 10, but that's just a theory of mine.

TDR issues started for me with the 352.86 driver. 347.88 are the last ones to work flawlessly for me with a Titan X.

Yeah I was having that thought too, with Windows 10 on the 29th, they are probably pulling their hair out.

Forgive me, but what does TDR stand for?
Timeout Detection Recovery. It was Microsoft's solution to crashing hardware. There is a timer in Windows that if the hardware does not respond to in time, Windows will reset the driver to recover the hardware to avoid the user having to reset their PC.

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I run in to that all the time while OCing and benchmarking.

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I run in to that all the time while OCing and benchmarking.
A TDR is expected if you try to overclock too far. But the issue in the latest drivers has them occurring while doing things like browsing web pages. When it happens to me I'll get anywhere from 4 to 12 subsequent TDR warnings in the Event Viewer.

Doing more testing, seems like the driver ignores the video card's hardwired 1355mhz by +100mhz

So I have 2 choices, drop the mhz by 100, or raise the voltage 50mv to stop the TDR's

What are you doing when the problem occurs?

For Witcher 3 I have to drop my 980 Strix to Nvidia ref clocks AND increase my power/temp limits to max to prevent crashing (TDR's if I remember).

Doing more testing, seems like the driver ignores the video card's hardwired 1355mhz by +100mhz

So I have 2 choices, drop the mhz by 100, or raise the voltage 50mv to stop the TDR's

Reported boost clock =/= actual realtime boost clock, never has. Mine reports something similar from GPU-z and will clock up to around 1470 when gaming.

347.88 are the last ones to work flawlessly for me with a Titan X.

I have a 980ti and those are also the only drivers that work for me. I had to manually add 980ti to the INF so they'd install but they've been perfect so far. I was about ready to RMA the card before I tried those. 353.38 fixed TDR issues with Chrome but newer games would still crash (GTA5 and Witcher 3), older games were fine.

Back