980TI case issue

Tricyclthief

Limp Gawd
Looking at buying a 980Ti, in the process of trying to find a used one but just had a thought. I have one of the Raven rev3 cases, its a 90degree mobo orientation. Is there any known issue or any brands that might have an issue hanging vertical instead of the normal horizontal?

The way that heat pipe works and how they are affected by the gravity, the position against the gravity may represent a not optimal cooling performance costing about ~5C in average, up to 10C. so yes, the temp is affected, the larger and thicker heatpipe will have a bigger effect in the position against the gravity.

a good post here from [H]member

here a post on another forum board with CPU cooler testing..

The 980ti uses a vapor chamber, not heatpipes. Not sure if that changes the result of vertcal vs horizontal, though.

Interesting read there, I took the plunge and should be receiving my Nvidia card Saturday or Monday so we'll see how it effects it. I'm not to worried though I have great cooling in my case and picked up the SC Gaming ACS 2.0+ version which im hoping will just offset any increase i might get from vertical hanging

the last reference nvidia model that used vapor chamber was the Original Titan and 700 Series cooler. they nerfed the cooler with every maxwell card, removing the vapor chamber and unless people always specify they are buying reference models Im always going to asume they're buying aftermarket cooled cards and they always use heat pipes, hence my post.

I'd just get the stock style blower if possible, those 90deg orientation is all about moving hot air up and away anyways which fits a blower perfectly. Picked up an Evga one works fine in my fortress ft05.

I haven't had any issues with my 980Ti AMP! cards in the FT02, which is also a 90 degree rotation setup. Granted, I haven't really payed close attention to temps, short of making sure they stay sane.

Back