9800Pro Trade Offer (not from me, this is a dilemma of mine)

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, so I've been offered a 9800Pro, BF2 (case, manual, etc) and a 400w PSU for my 15" LCD screen, that I didn't pay a cent for. Currently I have a 9600Pro, and was planning on upgrading to a 6600GT (that pricepoint at least) around feburary. I do like my LCD, and I do use it as a secondary monitor (my main one is a 22" CRT). Just, really, is it worth it?

At the moment I've hidden the LCD away to see if I miss it much....Going to do this for a couple of days and see how it goes...But that could still be inconclusive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's sort of dealing with a few things.... >.<

I'm going to say no, depending on how nice your LCD is, but more than likely no.

Yes. You needed to chuck the moniter anyway. 9800 pro is still a decent card. Heck, I'm running it @ 1680x1050 on most games.

It's a Philips 150S4 that I fixed up (someone didn't want these LCD's, gave them to me) It's got a hackjob of a stand that i did myself, which isn't all too bad... One dead pixel...

To be honest, I don't know if the actual screen is from a 150S4, since I took one that was laying around (other one was cracked)....

Gah...I dunno. So confused. Now he's offered me some cash along with it.

Edit: I could take pics of the LCD if anyone wants to see.

Well think about it. A 9800pro is worth a little more than 100 bux, the BF2 is worth what like 30 bux, and the 400w psu is like 40 bux + or - depending on the brand.

So ur looking at about $170 worth of stuff for ur 15" lcd. Just see how much urs goes for used on ebay, and figure out if ur coming out on top.

Also, u are upgrading ur GPU quite a bit, and will be saving money by not having to purchase a 6600gt in february like u said. So I think its a good deal for u, since u do say the lcd is just a secondary one which u could live w/o, and u are gettin an upgraded card and gettin to keep the 150 bux u were gonna spend on the 6600gt.

Hmm, lesee, about $300-350 for the monitor.

9800Pro going for about $150-200, BF2, about $80, PSU about $40 (give or take).

Brand new 9800Pros cost about $400-ish around here, but htis card is already a year old (with warranty running out EOY)

But seeing as I paid nothing for the monitor... I could live without it, but damn, taking a CRT to a LAN again is going to be a PITA...

Any more opinions out there?

Keep your LCD and get your 6600gt, most people will agree that the 6600 is a better card than the 9800pro...

plus seems a little fishy when he can go to a local B&M store and pick up a 15 inch LCD for about 150.. or every a 17 inch around that price... :rolleyes:

6600gt is the same speed as a 9800pro. the 9800pro is faster above 1280x1024 because it has a full 256bit memory buss, not cripled like the 128meg memory buss on the 6600gt. i say do it. new lcd's are much faster and usally look a little better. when the time comes to get a new one go for it.

mrbigshot said:
6600gt is the same speed as a 9800pro. the 9800pro is faster above 1280x1024 because it has a full 256bit memory buss, not cripled like the 128meg memory buss on the 6600gt. i say do it. new lcd's are much faster and usally look a little better. when the time comes to get a new one go for it.
6600gt over 9800pro any day ;)

15" LCD are worth at $100 at best. My local computer store sell them for $95 each, generic little things, used. I would say yes.

Nuzzles said:
Well, we've decided if either of us are unhappy, we'll swap back.

I think thats a bad idea - the swap sounds good but i can see that this will cause fights lol

why would you chose a 6600gt over a 9800pro?

Because the 6600gt is an overall faster card and has the features of the generation after the 9800 pro?

FoBZY said:
I think thats a bad idea - the swap sounds good but i can see that this will cause fights lol

lol, well, it's done. We signed a contract about the stuff. So if anything goes wrong, I've got that to fall back on.

Update: Been playing with the card for a bit (not long, I had to go out before) and I am really happy. BF2 is a COMPLETELY different game on medium (instead of Low) Although, with the latest patch it's not doing as well as it could.

However, Far Cry is an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING looking game. Best looking game I've ever played (well, that might change when I install Quake 4 and the FEAR SP demo, but still. xD)

It's amazing. Overall, I'm very pleased. this card should hold me over for another year (yes, that may sound unbelievable to some of you out there. :p)

Phranq said:
Because the 6600gt is an overall faster card and has the features of the generation after the 9800 pro?

Ya and the GT will OC like mad.

6600GT for the win!

Back