9800GX2 plus 8800GTX - 3 Monitors. SLI?

Zefram0911

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey boys, I picked up a 9800GX2 and I have an 8800GTX.

Can I run one monitor with the 9800GX2 in SLI mode...

and then run my other two monitors with the 8800GTX?

All at the same time? If so, how? I have both installed now, and the 9800GX2 doesn't want to do SLI.

When SLI is enabled, ALL nVidia hardware will only allow one monitor, combined. This is even if the other cards are substantially different, and uninvolved in the SLI process.

(At least this was the case two months ago.)

Your non-SLI card must be from another manufacturer, like ATI.

matrox triplehead2go-- you will just need one of those cards.. the gx2 will be your best bet cause the th2g doesnt do sli.. So though that board is tech sli-- the box see;s it as a single gpu

or

softTH... use the gx2 to render and center(primary) screen- then use the gtx to display the side screens.. This is cool cause you can use differnt res on the 3 monitors and you already own the 2nd card(the main draw back for people who only have one card)..

When SLI is enabled, ALL nVidia hardware will only allow one monitor, combined. This is even if the other cards are substantially different, and uninvolved in the SLI process.

(At least this was the case two months ago.)

Your non-SLI card must be from another manufacturer, like ATI.

You're right about the SLi only allowing one monitor. I did try an Ati card. I installed just the drivers and windows told me the cards weren't compatible or something. I didn't really try too long to get it to work though.

matrox triplehead2go-- you will just need one of those cards.. the gx2 will be your best bet cause the th2g doesnt do sli.. So though that board is tech sli-- the box see;s it as a single gpu

or

softTH... use the gx2 to render and center(primary) screen- then use the gtx to display the side screens.. This is cool cause you can use differnt res on the 3 monitors and you already own the 2nd card(the main draw back for people who only have one card)..

I already have a GX2, two 8800GTX OCs, an fanless Asus 3650 and a 1950XTX laying around.

jesus thats going to be one hot case
Check out my rig... it's louder than a car.. lol

Best I could get was 2 monitors. I have 2 8800GTXs in SLI and a 8400GS on second monitor. Driver install was a PITA but I mostly use the 2nd monitor for surfing while playing.

Back