9800GTX Specs Confirmed - Leaked Slides

I like the part about the msrp being $299-$349. :) (I consider this the 8900GTX)

Yea, it seems more and more like a 8900GTX every day the release date gets closer... The 9600GT did perform very well, considering it is only an "update" though. I am hoping for the same thing with the 9800GTX.

I wonder why Nvidia took the 512MB 8800GTS and tweaked it a tiny bit, then renamed it the 9800GTX. I just don't see how it can do that much better than the 8800GTS 512MB considering the 9800GTX has pretty much the same specs. What's the point Nvidia? I mean honestly, you make a card that's a shade better than one that's currently on the market and try and pass it off as something new that blows everything else away. I don't get it.

I think the major seller for 9800gtx over the 8800gts 512 is the fact that it comes in black pcb....man, even if its not faster, it looks faster.

I get the feeling they're trying to get the 9 series numbers used up so they can move onto the 10 series with the next new architecture.

If they just wanted to use up the 9 series numbers they could have released the 8800GT and GTS as the 9-series. This refresh would have come in easily at a '50' or 100 update (9850 or 9900GT/GTS), and nobody would have complained as much.

Well, all I can say is that this 9800 GTX had BEST be faster than an 8800 GTX. If it isnt I will be among a great number of people pissed that its only real feature is 3 way SLI technology most of us could give a rats ass about.

I wonder why Nvidia took the 512MB 8800GTS and tweaked it a tiny bit, then renamed it the 9800GTX. I just don't see how it can do that much better than the 8800GTS 512MB considering the 9800GTX has pretty much the same specs. What's the point Nvidia? I mean honestly, you make a card that's a shade better than one that's currently on the market and try and pass it off as something new that blows everything else away. I don't get it.

Because they can and people will buy it and ATI has nothing to compete so they have no reason to release a card that would kill sales of current cards...

If they just wanted to use up the 9 series numbers they could have released the 8800GT and GTS as the 9-series. This refresh would have come in easily at a '50' or 100 update (9850 or 9900GT/GTS), and nobody would have complained as much.

Totally agree...

Well, all I can say is that this 9800 GTX had BEST be faster than an 8800 GTX. If it isnt I will be among a great number of people pissed that its only real feature is 3 way SLI technology most of us could give a rats ass about.

IMO its all marketing strategy. If Nvidia gave people what they wanted : A true successor to the 8800GTX with a greater than marginal performance over an Ultra, it would = less incentive to go SLI or Tri SLI. They want suckers errr I mean enthusiasts looking for the latest thing to buy an SLI board + 2-3 of their new shiny 9800 sexy black pcb cards to go with it. Great strategy for the uninformed joe six packs out there for them since the g92 is nearing its end of life but enough time to milk it before gt200.

Hell, the 8800GTS 512MB is faster than the 8800GTX mostly, so of course it stands to reason that the 9800GTX will be too.
Preliminary benchmarks show that to be the case already.

and spinners.

Pimp my card!

Woah now, are you sure NV is ready to make that many drastic changes in their new 9 series? :eek:
I mean, they've already scratched the 8's off and wrote 9's in their places....so wouldn't you say that adding spinners would be pushing things a bit too far.
I mean, let's be reasonable here.

there is some sweet SLI performance scaling, just like the 9600GT. yum.

Back