9800 Pro to 7800GS?

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
I have a 9800 Pro and was wondering would a upgrade to a 7800gs be worth it? I do not want to upgrade to PCIE yet so let me know what your thoughts are.

Anybody want to buy my 9800 Pro? LOL

I did that. I went 9800 PRO->7800 GS and i do not regret it one bit : }. Def worth the money for me although i got an eVga so i can step it up to a 7900GT when i have the money for s939 PCIE

Plus the cost of a new CPU, I would love to do all that but I am going to get a Dell 2405. IS the performance really worth it from 9800 to a 7800GS?

7800GS will be much faster. And definitely will help b/c the native resolution of 1920x1200 takes quite a bit of horsepower to fill all those pixels.

He didnt say what processor he has.. s939 is a very common socket.
If you cant upgrade, go for the GS then.. its still going to be a huge upgrade from your 9800pro.

I got the eVga CO edition, and it EASILY clocks to the "Superclock" speeds. I went from a 6600 GT, and it has been worth it. Transparency AA has been well worth it, especially in games with a lot of foliage such as Battlefield 2 and Far Cry. The eVga stays nice and cool in my case, which is a big plus, and is relatively quiet.

From some reviews it looks as though people have had less problems with the BFG 7800 GS, can anybody comment on that?

I have a BFG 7800GS, working great. Overclocks very well - 500mhz core and 1.42 ghz memory. Runs every beautifully.

I have no complaints with my BFG 7800GS......there will be much to like if you upgrade. whatever brand you purchase.

I weighed the pros and cons and I went with the BFG 6800GS. The price was right and it will extend my system into 2007. Anybody want to buy my 9800? :D

I'm looking for a 9800 Pro/ 6600gt, but it depends on the price...

techie81 said:
From some reviews it looks as though people have had less problems with the BFG 7800 GS, can anybody comment on that?

Hello I have a Dell 2407 on the way and am interested in purchasing the BFG 7800 GS? I have a 9800 pro at the moment and a s939 MSI K8N Neo2 Plat and 9800 Pro.

What speed increase would I be looking at?

Many thanks

SpeedZealot369 said:
Don't go for the 7800gs. Did you buy one already? If not, lmk and I'll explain to you why.

Why not explain anyways?

explain please;

I ended up getting a 7800GS CO Superclocked, not my first choice, though.
My first choice was a 6800GS, but when I went to buy the model I wanted, no one on the planet had one in stock, and since I had already sold my 6800 and made arrangements with the buyer to send it out when my new card came, I had to get something so I got the 7800.

I'm assuming you have a 754 setup. In that case you would be much better off buying a 7800gt and a new mobo instead of the 7800gs. For less money you get a much stronger card, and besides upgrading mobo's yourself is always fun. And then you can sell your mobo.

But anyway if you already bought it, enjoy it and next time you upgrade make sure to go PCIe ;)

I too have the BFG 7800 GS OC and don't have a single problem with it, always runs cool and quiet. The only time I notice it is when it gets hot and the fan kicks into overdrive but that is a very rare occasion, it usually runs below 50c even with some of the toughest graphics.

I been hearing 20 pipe and 24 pipe agp cards are coming from nvidia in a month or two.
Gainward already has them out...

Back