9800 PRO Overclock , Is this legit??

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a BB ati 9800 Pro
Stuck a Arctic Silencer on it

I can run 450 core and 375 memory, and it runs all day at that!!!
Is this unusual, I see most people with around 435 core, etc?

any other 9800 Pro owners out there getting this?!
Or post your best overclocks

ATI 9800 at 451/658 w/ VGA Silencer & Arctic Silver 5. This is a non pro mind you, exactly the same as a 9800 pro, just with lower default core clock & slower memory. Actual default speed of 9800 Pro is 378/337 & default on 9800 non pro is 324.8/290.

So my ram is slightly slower than a default Pro's and my core is well in excess of an 9800XT. The VGA Silencer owns doesn't it? :)

455/355 stock cooling (stock heatsink with shin-etsu). Starts to artifact~465 core. Tried another cooler on it, made no difference, went back to stock and put the new cooler on an old 8500.

Some people can get a lot out of the core, but I've noticed that it can be dependent on the rest of your system. I was able to get a good 445 on my core with my old Pally system, and that was before I added cooling mods...nowadays I stick to around 435. As far as the RAM goes, I've had it stable up to 392.9 before, using ramsinks with an 80 mm over them. I'd say my best overall overclock was about 455/393 on my old system after cooling mods...but on my new system I can only do about 438.8/388.7. I keep it at 435/385 for 24/7 use.

450/375 is a good overclock, consider adding ramsinks (Tweakmonster or OCZ) to get more out of it, or even mount a fan on the rear side.

I have the crappiest 9800Pro ever made (HIS retail). With the stock cooler, the core starts artifacting at 387MHz (in the rthdribl demo), and the memory at 355MHz+. I've ordered a VGA silencer, and hopefully I'll find that the stock cooler had very poor thermal contact so that I can see a big improvement with the Silencer.

Just like any other OC. Entirely dependant on the quality of your pariticular chip. Looks like you got a good one.

Originally posted by PopCorn
ATI 9800 at 451/658 w/ VGA Silencer & Arctic Silver 5. This is a non pro mind you, exactly the same as a 9800 pro, just with lower default core clock & slower memory. Actual default speed of 9800 Pro is 378/337 & default on 9800 non pro is 324.8/290.

So my ram is slightly slower than a default Pro's and my core is well in excess of an 9800XT. The VGA Silencer owns doesn't it? :)

i just ordered a 9800np from newegg, so wish me luck:p even if it donest o/c for shit, ill be happy with the performance of it stock(equal too a 9700pro) espicially if you consider what im upgrading from.... a 9200se, the lowest of the low

sooner or later, im going too purchase a vga silencer for the 9800 when it gets here i cant wait, two more days

Originally posted by hardBBQ
I have the crappiest 9800Pro ever made (HIS retail). With the stock cooler, the core starts artifacting at 387MHz (in the rthdribl demo), and the memory at 355MHz+. I've ordered a VGA silencer, and hopefully I'll find that the stock cooler had very poor thermal contact so that I can see a big improvement with the Silencer.

Hey I feel you. My XT only goes from 412---> 425 :( before it starts to get artifacts in ATI Tool.

Will a VGA Sliencer work on an XT? Does it really make a difference in OC?

Which tools do you people use to OC?

Edit: Ahhhh, nevermind got it

<- worst possible core OC. with atitool i can only get my core up to 396 without errors. (r360 core). I have very good case cooling but still using stock 9800p hsf. :(

I get 461/348 without artifacts, I think ATI tool took it to 475 b4 artifacts aznd then lowered it to 465, i put it 461 to be safe

450/350 on my 9800 non pro with VGA silencer and some small ramsinks.

The memory is 2.8ns samsung, so you'd think it would go higher. Whenever I feel like the performance is starting to fall behind (which certainly isn't yet... everything is butter smooth), I'm gonna volt mod this sucker (it'll be my first vmod) and see what I can do to it :)

I can only hit a 370 core with my 9700Pro AIW... THE FUCK MAN I ALWAYS GET THE BUM ASS CHIPS.

Back