9800 Pro AIW NewEgg Refurb-$240

blackspawn

Limp Gawd
Seems like an excellent price...they have it in stock right now...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-297R&catalog=48&manufactory=BROWSE&type=Refurbish

ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP (OEM, BAREBONE)

Model# 100-713100
Item # N82E16814102297R

A lot of the video cards that are refurbished come with JUST the bare card - no extra goodies, no cables, no software, and, in the AIW's case, usually with no remote control. I've bought 2 refurb Sapphire 9800 pro's from Newegg and got just the bare card both times - even though in the product description it said retail, not OEM. Just a warning that you might not get a great deal on the AIW if it's just the bare card...

Why the AIW if I may ask? Surely the features one would have bought the card for back ion the day are now null (As awesome as they were. Big fan back in the day as was glad ATi took the reigns from Matrox (sorta) in this category).
Why not just go for the best ATi gaming card at that time? They did kick-ass ATT and didn't have the AIW penalty.
I like the "time-machine" posts and would really like to hear your thought process that you arrived at to pick that card.

Last edited:
I had one of these back in the day, what an awesome card. I converted a lot of VHS to DVD with this thing.

I still have one of these lying around. I keep saying that I'm going to fire up my old computer.

LoL, not an AIW but I still have 2 9800 Pros around

Attachments

• 20230605_100308.jpg
    20230605_100308.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 2
For whatever reason I never really liked the All-In-Wonder versions of the cards. It seemed odd to me that a GPU would somehow work with a television. I never really did fully comprehend what that model was for. I ended up with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. And yes, I've got the Joined Date to prove it. 😀

That first 9800 pro with the square heatsink is an interesting card, it actually uses the XT board with 128mb of memory. They must have had a bunch of extra boards left and converted them to regular pros.
So both of these were in identical Dell XPS Desktops that were ordered the same day. I thought it was strange as well that they actually looked a bit different but were the same cards.

For whatever reason I never really liked the All-In-Wonder versions of the cards. It seemed odd to me that a GPU would somehow work with a television. I never really did fully comprehend what that model was for. I ended up with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. And yes, I've got the Joined Date to prove it. 😀
I had multiple AIW cards - much appreciated for a college student saving space.

Super-necro.

-bZj

Back