9800 GX2 Pictures and Specs

Apparently, until you crank-up the AA. And those are also all canned performance tests, not real-world testing. And you'll note that while those scores place the HD 3870X2 ahead of the 8800GTX and 8800 Ultra, the Ultra, in real-world testing, is undoubtedly ahead of the HD 3870X2 and the 8800GTX is, at the very least, on-par w/the HD 3870X2.

Apparently, until you crank-up the AA. And those are also all canned performance tests, not real-world testing. And you'll note that while those scores place the HD 3870X2 ahead of the 8800GTX and 8800 Ultra, the Ultra, in real-world testing, is undoubtedly ahead of the HD 3870X2 and the 8800GTX is, at the very least, on-par w/the HD 3870X2.
8xAA seems to be too much, but when playing at 1600x1200 4xAA is what you need. Problem is that when using 8xAA at 1600x1200 either that game runs just fine with both cards or neither can run them.

For example Call of Juarez where HD3870 X2 did beat 9600 GT SLI with ease..and is marked in that performance rating as hefty margin. Still both cards pull less than 10 fps. If using same settings exept for 4xAA, HD3870 X2 loses against single 9600 GT. If you look only best playable setting you find out it's 1280x1024 4xAA 16xAF where 9600 GT SLI pulls 37.8 fps and HD3870 X2 does 7.1 fps. This is problem in those charts..

I looked up the memory part number from that one pic, and it seems that it corresponds to a 512mbit chip. Since there are 8 of those chips per card, these are only 2x512MB cards, not 2x1GB

What's supposed to be better? 9800GX2 or 9800GTX

Theoretically the gx2, but the gtx is (my guess) more ram, wider bus, higher mem and core clocks. They skimp it down on the GX2 to lower heat, but other then that it's a gimmick to get noobs to buy something more expensive.

but other then that it's a gimmick to get noobs to buy something more expensive.

I love dumb comments like this :rolleyes:

Dynafrom: No one really knows exactly what the 9800 GTX is yet, so we cant really say which is better. The 9800 GX2 is basically two 8800 GTS 512mb card in SLI, but it will only need a single PCIe slot. Its an SLI type of alternative for people who cant do true SLI, and performance will be similar, and will still depend on game and driver support. Its not a gimmick, it will offer the same type of performance boost as SLI would, so the card would really be better for higher resolution gaming.

What's supposed to be better? 9800GX2 or 9800GTX

The GX2 should be generally be faster but it will depend of the SLI implementation in the drivers. As you may know, each game reacts differently to SLI.

I am not very enthusiastic about the GX2 because of power, heat, size and SLI issues.
Furthermore, the 7950GX2 was not a success.

The 9800GTX should be a more elegant solution. I just hope that this card will offer more than 30% increase in performance over the 8800GTX.

I love dumb comments like this :rolleyes:

Dynafrom: No one really knows exactly what the 9800 GTX is yet, so we cant really say which is better. The 9800 GX2 is basically two 8800 GTS 512mb card in SLI, but it will only take up a single slot. Its an SLI type of alternative for people who cant do true SLI, and performance will be similar, and will still depend on game and driver support. Its not a gimmick, it will offer the same type of performance boost as SLI would, so the card would really be better for higher resolution gaming.

Last time i checked the 9800gx2 is a double slot card?

The GX2 should be generally be faster but it will depend of the SLI implementation in the drivers. As you may know, each game reacts differently to SLI.

I am not very enthusiastic about the GX2 because of power, heat, size and SLI issues.
Furthermore, the 7950GX2 was not a success.

The 9800GTX should be a more elegant solution. I just hope that this card will offer more than 30% increase in performance over the 8800GTX.
If performance is what you're looking for, the GX2 will probably be the card to fulfill your needs. This will be the top card from NVidia until a new architecture is released. Some people are concerned that the GX2 will be a repeat of the 7950GX2. It's too early to say that and I can't foresee NVidia making the same error. Not with the ATI HD3870X2 and R700 nipping at its heels. 2008 will not be a repeat of 2007, trust me on that.

The first card that has the potential to completely dethrone the 8800GTX/8800 Ultra? Certainly it deserves 40+ pages worth of discussion on a hardware discussion/review site such as [H].

Theoretically the gx2, but the gtx is (my guess) more ram, wider bus, higher mem and core clocks. They skimp it down on the GX2 to lower heat, but other then that it's a gimmick to get noobs to buy something more expensive.
Question now is that what card will use G92-420-A2 chip? This was mentioned in Nvidia's drivers and that name suggest that it uses the very same GPU as 9800 GX2 (two times) and 8800 GTS 512..and it will slot between these two cards.

^ ^ ^ Well, it's only 20 pages if you set it up as 40 posts per page... :D

^ ^ ^ Well, it's only 20 pages if you set it up as 40 posts per page... :D

Yeah- I was wondering where he got the 40 page thing from but was figuring he was expecting it to get to 40 pages. Now it makes sense, xD

As the soon-to-be-seller of a 7950GX2, I'm going to steer way way away from this. Once bitten, twice shy... LOL

Did you guys notice the different power connectors? There's a 6-pin standard PCI-E power connection and an 8-pin connector? It looks like that 8-pin can accept a 6-pin PCI-E connection but that's the first time I've seen that on a video card.

After reading the posts on the front page, I feel as if I am in concurrence. Why are they redoing the architecture instead of giving us "next-gen" architecture? As someone said, a 'crysis-killer'? Sure you got some improvement going from a 7800GTS to a 7900GTX, but nowhere near as much improvement as if you went from a 7900GTX to an 8800GTX or a 7800GTX to an 8800GTX. Even a 8800GTS. So sure 30% is better than nothing, but after waiting this length of time, I expected more of an increase. IMHO, Bring on the 10800GTX :)

Did you guys notice the different power connectors? There's a 6-pin standard PCI-E power connection and an 8-pin connector? It looks like that 8-pin can accept a 6-pin PCI-E connection but that's the first time I've seen that on a video card.

Some AMD/ATI cards have that. Newer, high-end PSUs come with an 8-pin PCI-e connector.

The 2900XT also has the 8pin/6pin.

i dont think they will go for a 10 series with four digits, id rather they call it with a 4 digit number or a whole new series name

Forgive my ignorance, but would it require both power connections or is it more likely to be a case of 'one or the other'?

i dont think they will go for a 10 series with four digits, id rather they call it with a 4 digit number or a whole new series name

i DOUBT they'll stop calling it GeForce. Probably just rip off ATi again with like x3221 or something

saw someone talking about hdmi cables @ BB for 99... There is a pack of cables @costco that has 2 hdmi along with a number of other cables-- all shielded with gold plating on the tips.. for 69$.. Or maybe 79=i dont remember.. But looked like a nice package...

saw someone talking about hdmi cables @ BB for 99... There is a pack of cables @costco that has 2 hdmi along with a number of other cables-- all shielded with gold plating on the tips.. for 69$.. Or maybe 79=i dont remember.. But looked like a nice package...
Read the article on Hard[OCP] main news page about Monster cables versus coat hanger wire. I am using 6 foot HDMI cables for $15 that works just fine. Gold plated even. I quite buying high dollar digital cables. The bit gets there or it doesn't. I also stopped buying high dollar short run analog cables. I usually use what's in the box with the equipment. Looks great and sounds good.;)

Read the article on Hard[OCP] main news page about Monster cables versus coat hanger wire. I am using 6 foot HDMI cables for $15 that works just fine. Gold plated even. I quite buying high dollar digital cables. The bit gets there or it doesn't. I also stopped buying high dollar short run analog cables. I usually use what's in the box with the equipment. Looks great and sounds good.;)

With 120hz LCDs around the corner (already out as TVs), the high dollar cables are a must. The shorter cheapo cables work fine now for 60hz at 1080p, however, they wont quite pull it at 120hz and 1080p. Of course some cheaper ones may, but cable quality will be much more important with the 120hz displays.

My brother works at CC and has seen this happen where entire lines will be dropped with cheaper cables, but the monster cables they sell work just fine.

With 120hz LCDs around the corner (already out as TVs), the high dollar cables are a must. The shorter cheapo cables work fine now for 60hz at 1080p, however, they wont quite pull it at 120hz and 1080p. Of course some cheaper ones may, but cable quality will be much more important with the 120hz displays.

My brother works at CC and has seen this happen where entire lines will be dropped with cheaper cables, but the monster cables they sell work just fine.
Least factual post I have seen in a while.

Monster cables == snake oil

120Hz LCDs do not actually take input at 120Hz. It's done internally by the display.

If there's a revolutionary new model besides what is already on the market right now, then I stand corrected.

Least factual post I have seen in a while.

Monster cables == snake oil

As long as the Cable Provides enough Bandwidth per spec, you are going to see no difference..

I am surprised no one has tried to sell "Monster" Cat6 Patches yet..

Your post only shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. 120hz lcds display each frame twice to display 120hz. They do not accept a 120hz input. Cable quality has 0 to do with 120hz display or even motion interpolation (sony's motionflow, samsung's AMP, LG's TruMotion). Hell, you could even use a composite cable and still have the display display running at 120hz (albeit with about 200 lines of resolution ;) )

The fact that your brother works at CC doesn't add any credibility to your argument :rolleyes:

so unless I misunderstood, 9800's are based off the g92...so if I get a second 8800gtx when the 9800's are released I will have same performance (give or take) as a 9800gx2? or even 9800gtx? Please correct me if im wrong. Sorry for the randomness iv just been looking around trying to find my answer.

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but do both power connectors (the 6-pin & the 8-pin) have to be connected to the power supply or is one enough?

Sparrow_69 and Belmicah....you two need to go to an electronics store to witness this for yourselves. If you dont want to believe it, whatever, it wont really bother me. I am in no way endorsing monster cables, i have cheap ass Walmart cables myself, but if you want to displace yourself from reality...in this case i really dont care.

Mr. Mike, from what ive gathered, 120hz really only makes a "difference" with sports television, which i dont believe is shot at that high of an "fps", since most movies and TV shows are shot at 24fps with 3:2 pulldown to bring it up to 60hz. I would imagine 120hz would really only make a difference with video gaming where the source can actually exceed 60fps, but if what your saying is true....then i really dont know.

Sparrow, i know what im talking about...just because you can spout out the processing engines of a few TV's, doesnt mean you do :rolleyes:

Back