980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Newegg Preorder.

Awesome, I just got mine and I believe my card is faulty. Installed the card, got everything hooked up and boot it up.. nothing. main monitor doesn't even register a connection. reboot and swap the cables and the main monitor recognizes the connection but doesn't display anything.

*sigh* After about 5 minutes a blinking underscore appears.

Are the GPU fans spinning? If so, check your slotting and make sure it's not off alignment. If that isn't it then take some compressed air and blow out the PCI slot. If it still doesn't work after that and other GPUs have no issue running in that slot, RMA time.

Did all that, my 680 had no issues firing back up. =( I even tried different cables and ports for my PSU (modular).

Yep, unfortunate but defects happen. QC seems to be lackluster this go around with Gigabyte. Guess I lucked out with mine, I've been reading some less than stellar things from others.

Blah. It's a beefy card though, I will say that. Makes my 680 reference look and feel like a toy.

Can someone please measure how long the card is from the bracket to the end of the fan mount/backplate?

110107_4.jpg

Last edited:
Right around 12". If you don't have at least 13" of space you're going to have problems.

Can you measure in cm/mm please? I need exact measurments so I can know if I need to move my intake fans or not. I have just BARELY 12'' or 33mm of space with fans on inside, and about 13'' / 44cm with fans on exterior

ZcpRDbK.jpg

If you really want the card why not just move the fans if necessary when you receive it? If moving your fans to the exterior is a deal breaker I would forget the card and pick a standard one or get a new case because it's going to be close.

Can you measure in cm/mm please? I need exact measurments so I can know if I need to move my intake fans or not. I have just BARELY 12'' or 33mm of space with fans on inside, and about 13'' / 44cm with fans on exterior

Gigabyte's website says 295mm which I believe to be quite accurate. Might be a tough fit looking at that picture.

Finally had time to test the DP inputs, and determined it is a bad displayport (middle) out of the three.

So back to NEWEGG it goes I guess...

I got mine the other day, and only issue so far is that it doesn't recognize my middle monitor without me unplugging and replugging it in twice. Using all 3 DP inputs. Reboot it stays detected, but power off and its back to square one. Haven't tried swapping cables between the 3 to see if its a flaky cable yet.

ZcpRDbK.jpg

You painted that heat shield for your creative Z? Im going to do it...NOW! :D

Finally had time to test the DP inputs, and determined it is a bad displayport (middle) out of the three.

So back to NEWEGG it goes I guess...

They need better QA on these cards. Unacceptable that a $700 friggin card is faulty.

I'm not completely happy with the G1 when overclocked or maybe something is wrong with my fans. I didn't notice it under sounds of games before (using speakers, not headphones) but there is a whining/oscillating quality (not coil whine) to the fans when they go above 50%. Do any of you other G1 owners get this? The fans on my previous two Gigabyte 970s seemed to do a lot better.

I guess I'm going to wait for Zotac, MSI, and Asus. Being first out of the gate doesn't mean much if there's no QC.

I'm not completely happy with the G1 when overclocked or maybe something is wrong with my fans. I didn't notice it under sounds of games before (using speakers, not headphones) but there is a whining/oscillating quality (not coil whine) to the fans when they go above 50%. Do any of you other G1 owners get this? The fans on my previous two Gigabyte 970s seemed to do a lot better.

No, I haven't experienced this on the G1 970/980/980 ti, but I have read about it from other users who have.

No, I haven't experienced this on the G1 970/980/980 ti, but I have read about it from other users who have.

So if you turn fan speed to 100% in AB you only get the sound of air like a solid "swoosh", not a higher pitched noise accompanying it?

Well, it's loud at 100% like a Delta, but around 70% it's definitely a "whoosh" and not too loud at all.

Three 90mm fans running at 2k RPM are gonna make a "woosh" sound, there is no way around that.
Sure, peel those cheapo plastic fans off and replace them with some actual high pressure fans that are designed to not throw air in every possible direction.

Ok, so I did a recording of the fan issue I was describing. This is all on the desktop with fan speed at 80% but the mic (a Sennheiser e609, actually a mic meant for recording guitar) is first at the side of the card (where the LED logo is), then it's moved in front of the fans and moved around there a bit. I had a difficult time capturing the noise exactly but I feel this somewhat represents the high pitched whine what to me seems like a fan issue.

The sound starts manifesting around 50% fan speed and that's where it's actually most audible under the sound of air moving.

https://soundcloud.com/laxulus/g1-fan-issue

NOTE! This does NOT represent what the card actually sounds like (I hope) nor the volume level in any way.

That whine was actually much more likely due to EMI interference having the mic so close to the GPU.

If not, then I'd say no fan will make that type of noise, that sounds like electrical/coil whine from the GPU itself.

That whine was actually much more likely due to EMI interference having the mic so close to the GPU.

If not, then I'd say no fan will make that type of noise, that sounds like electrical/coil whine from the GPU itself.

Well the whine can be heard even without any devices nearby and it definitely comes from the fans. It's not coil whine IMO since it was on the desktop and only occurs when the fans are turned up (in my case manually from Afterburner). I didn't hear similar sounds from the Windforce 3X 970s I had before, in fact they were remarkably quiet always.

Well the whine can be heard even without any devices nearby and it definitely comes from the fans. It's not coil whine IMO since it was on the desktop and only occurs when the fans are turned up (in my case manually from Afterburner). I didn't hear similar sounds from the Windforce 3X 970s I had before, in fact they were remarkably quiet always.

I'd say its RMA then sadly

So is the G1 a custom PCB whereas the ACX SC+ a standard board? Has anyone NOT been able to hit 1500mhz on the G1?

Has anybody tried this card with Shadow Of Mordor at 4K? I heard that game uses a lot of VRAM and does it cause hitching or stuttering at 4K?

If you read the review of the 980ti here, you would know that no game can push 6gig vram usage, even at 4k.

So is the G1 a custom PCB whereas the ACX SC+ a standard board? Has anyone NOT been able to hit 1500mhz on the G1?

You did a very poor job of reading through the thread if you think that. My card was unstable at stock settings (not even oc mode) so no... not all of them get to 1500+

You did a very poor job of reading through the thread if you think that. My card was unstable at stock settings (not even oc mode) so no... not all of them get to 1500+

There are 9 pages, I wouldn't expect people to read all of them. That being said if your card was unstable at stock settings then it's a faulty card which (like mine) seems to be a fairly common issue with the G1s.

There are 9 pages, I wouldn't expect people to read all of them. That being said if your card was unstable at stock settings then it's a faulty card which (like mine) seems to be a fairly common issue with the G1s.

Of course, I wasn't truly serious. Just think it's funny people make sweeping statements/questions and then don't use even some of the available information to back it up.

It's really unfortunate about the card. I've received 3/4 cards that were just downright awful (unstable/ freezing) from gigabyte. While the one I did get was absolutely fantastic and it's obviously just exceptionally poor luck... I'm exceptionally wary of going with them again. If the incoming aftermarket competitors review poorly I'll probably try one more time...

Realistically I'd go with an EVGA card if they had the Classified or the FTW card out. I've heard some complaints about the noise from the ACX 2.0 coolers though but I guess every company has their own downfalls.

Well got mine in this morning, installed it, and it has coil whine :/. Bugger. Back it goes to NewEgg for a replacement.

Back