980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Newegg Preorder.

Seriously considering this one.

I wonder when we'll see some reviews?

lol coil whine.... won't be able to hear it over the fan at 100% anyway :)

Just in time to see how Fiji compares. :)

Even if Fiji gets close to 980Ti performance, it won't have any OC headroom left since AMD will have already used it all just to keep up with stock Nvidia. And then there are the famous AMD drivers..

Even if Fiji gets close to 980Ti performance, it won't have any OC headroom left since AMD will have already used it all just to keep up with stock Nvidia. And then there are the famous AMD drivers..

Boom! my AMD Fanboyness teared momentarily, yes AMD drivers could be their Achilles heel... Love my G1 GTX 970 at the moment

Posted this same question on /r/Nvidia --

Is it safe to assume that this Gigabyte G1 model will be one of the better overclocking cards? I know it's all speculation until they're out in the wild, but extrapolating from the 980 offerings it seems like the Gigabyte G1 and MSI Gaming 4G were regularly cited as some of the best 980s for maximum air-cooled overclocking.

From the limited pictures and marketing materials that have already released it also looks like the non-reference 980 Tis are using nearly identical PCB/VRM/HSF configurations compared to their 980 counterparts (which makes sense from an R&D/cost standpoint). Thus, it wouldn't surprise me if the best 980 Tis end up being the same as the best 980s.

I really want to preorder to try avoiding more delay from stock limitations.

Oh you read that on the internet too?

Oh you read that on the internet too?

The writing is on the wall, my man. 1) AMD track record = they tried tried to compensate with the 200 series by OC'ing out of the box - hot, loud, and power sucking, not much OC headroom left. 2) Fury X will have stock AIO watercooling. You think they *wanted* to add even more cost to the already staggering BOM that includes expensive HBM memory? They had no other choice since once again it'll run hot and suck a ton of power.

Connect the dots, doesn't require a PhD here.

Ok, they are seriously fuckin' us Europeans up the ass if those are the US prices. Only slightly above the reference card whereas here the reference is about 740 euros and every manufacturer's custom versions are around 900 euros. I hope those are just prices to gouge those who want to preorder and they drop to sensible levels after the cards are actually available.

I think the Gigabyte will be a good overclocker. My 970 SLI setup runs at under 70 degrees most of the time on the Windforce 3X cooler when overclocked and now that the 980 Ti version has fan off on idle (which was the only issue I had with the cooler) it should be pretty great if you can fit it in your case.

I always base my $650 GPU purchases on the latest rumor from WCCFTech. :eek:

Seems like too many people do.

How many threads did we see for the 980Ti leading up to the so far soft launch here based on the same handful of articles from there?

I wold buy a G1 for the higher overclocking potential and the fact that it is easier to sell (and recoup most of the premium)

Only worth it if the noise is lower than acx 2.0 at load and can hit 65c max load without being too loud

Only worth it if the noise is lower than acx 2.0 at load and can hit 65c max load without being too loud

Hum..While EVGA uses reference design with its ACX, GB uses a custom design on its G1 which provides additional and more constant power. In addition, the G1 cooler dissipates more heat. I would thus expect the G1 to overcock better than EVGA's ACX.

The main unknown is the GPU binning approach, if any, used by each company.

Hum..While EVGA uses reference design with its ACX, GB uses a custom design on its G1 which provides additional and more constant power. In addition, the G1 cooler dissipates more heat. I would thus expect the G1 to overcock better than EVGA's ACX.

The main unknown is the GPU binning approach, if any, used by each company.

At that price i would just go aio hybrid. Acx 2.0+ sc+ is a worse value i agree. But the regular acx 2.0+ was listed at 650$

Of course, the price is an important factor to consider.
The only thing that I do not like about the hybrid is the fact that EVGA still use a reference design which should in theory limit the overclocking potential.
Anyway, my choice will be between the hybrid and the G1, depending on availability and price.

Ahem..... Just received a order charged notification from new egg. Looks like it may have come in before the 16th.

Any reviews on this card? Hopefully it's at least 10% faster than stock according to the overclocked speeds on this card.

Why is their fan curve so aggressive?
Same noise level as reference, 69C vs 84C. I think they would target ~75C.

5 posts before AMD hate AND driver complaints in an Nvidia post. New record?

Guru3D sample overclocked the boost core clock to 1450Mhz.

Their conclusion:
"this sodomizes the more expensive Titan X already"

The ice on the cake: MSRP of $689.99

5 posts before AMD hate AND driver complaints in an Nvidia post. New record?
Given the way binning works I don't think it's possible to ship a GPU with no OC headroom.
Unless they want 50% failure rates... Knowing what I know about AMD, that wouldn't surprise me.

Given the way binning works I don't think it's possible to ship a GPU with no OC headroom.
Unless they want 50% failure rates... Knowing what I know about AMD, that wouldn't surprise me.

Since when has AMD been known for high failure rates? Considering how many people had these things running at full load 24/7 for mining I doubt it's much or we would've heard about it.

I might get this card, but I will wait till next week when AMD launches their Fury card and I will decide then.

Just hopefully this card will work properly at 2160p with AA enabled, my last Gigabyte card (GTX 780 Ghz Edition) had some strange issue where enabling AA at 2160p would result in a black screen for some games which really annoyed me.

Just got my shipment confirmation should be here tomorrow

GLjWsLT.jpg

Back